Altering radian insert

Jessica61624

I'm tempted to cut my radian insert in half and use the part that goes behind the back up behind the head. I'd secure it, of course. Rolled towels were suggested but I dont think he would leave them alone. I hate seeing my baby like this.

ADS

HaileysMommy

When the infant insert used to be 2 pieces you could take the bottom part and use it for a head support with an older child. Sounds pretty much like what your wanting to do. It had a cord attached to the back to tie it through the harness slots.

love-pink

I would just take the insert out completely so he sits further back in the shell. Then maybe his head would catch on the lip of the shell better and have less headslump.

I absolutely HATE headslump in seats :( Nothing worse then your baby waking up from a nap all grouchy because they now have a kink in their little neck :(

canadiangie

I worked with a family whose twins were in rf R100's. Both babies had terrible head slump no matter what. Rolled blankets didn't provide enough support because the interior width of the seat versus the baby's narrow frames meant you'd essentially need rolled beach towels, so quite cumbersome, and the baby's would just pull them out, etc.

I emailed the Canadian Diono rep asking if using SKJP Comfy Softs in the R100's would be ok. Answer was yes. You would likely want to contact a US rep and ask, just to make sure they are ok with it, and ok with an altered insert. :)

Jessica61624

They comfy sift looks exactly like the insert that comes with the r120. His head falls out of the head part. I think its because his head is too big.

I posted on swap for a old style insert. That's how I imagined this one would look if I cut it in half. He might be ready for the insert to come out behind him.

mom of six

I'm tempted to cut my radian insert in half and use the part that goes behind the back up behind the head. I'd secure it, of course. Rolled towels were suggested but I dont think he would leave them alone. I hate seeing my baby like this.

I wouldn't cut it in half unless you can sew it shut. I would be concerned that the baby would eat the stuffing. Here is a link to a picture of someone using the entire lower portion of the insert as a head pillow.

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=889622&postcount=10

nmb

what would happen if you just moved the whole thing up w/out cutting it? If the head piece stays up/back then I'd just do that. (so that the "body" part is where your LO's head is, and the "head" part in the empty space above)

Jessica61624

I can't open that link right now. I would serge the opening. I don't think having the entire thing above his head would work. He's only on the second slots.

featherhead

I can't open that link right now. I would serge the opening. I don't think having the entire thing above his head would work. He's only on the second slots.

If you took out the body pillow, flipped it so it is upside down, and put the body part behind his head, with the butt part above his head. Find a way to secure it so it doesn't flop down on him.

mom of six

I didn't realize that the new insert had a butt portion. I personally think cutting it would be ok as that is how the old style was...

Last edited:

Jessica61624

So I used the new style upside down but there really isn't a way to attach it. It helped a lot!

I tried this but not sure I'm comfortable with how it fits between the harness. No go?

aept

Is it too wide at that little cut-out area, like wider than the slots?
If yes, I agree that I wouldn't like that. Otherwise, if it isn't too wide, then that's probably ok.

I have an old comfy soft and used to use the body portion as a head pad in one of our Radian 65 seats. (It was a suggestion on the product packaging.) It had straps coming from it so you could "hang" it and I used to tuck the straps into the top back where the cover wraps around.

Did you try using it upside down and securing it with something like safety pins or something so the "butt" portion didn't flop down onto his head?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Jessica61624

Yes it was too wide in the center. I went ahead and did it. This is what I ended up with. I'm comfortable with it. I used ribbon for the strings and tied it at the top.

Malka

I actually use mine like that. It works so much better. DS calls it his pillow and he sleeps great in the seat. If I get a chance, I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC