Question Booster height minimum

HaileysMommy

If, on the lowest setting, a child is still an inch or two too short (overall height) for the stated booster minimum but the belt fit is good, would you still booster the child. Of course assuming that the child weighs enough, is old enough and sits properly.

ADS

tiggercat

I can't picture a situation where that would happen (lower limits are usually pretty low?) but I would not booster a child who doesn't meet the lower limits without some pretty extenuating circumstances.

Can you give a specific example?

ETA, lower limit of a Turbo HB is 38in. That's pretty small!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

D&L's-mommy

I agree, I wouldn't be comfortable going below ANY of the minimums. I personally feel the minimums for ff and boostering are too low to start with on most seats.

Mamasboys

Yeah, I guess we'd need to know the specifics. Looking at the carseats measurement page, 38" seems pretty common among the brands. Heck, Harmony has a 34" minimum for NBB mode :eek:. I would think that the vast majority of booster ready kids would certainly be above 38". Of course, there's always be children with growth disorders, dwarfism, etc. that could be booster ready before the height minimum. But I think those cases would be very, very rare.

ETA: I see your little peanut is a short, little peanut! If it's for her--and only YOU can determine if she' ready for booster training or not--I'd stick to a booster with lower stated limits (Harmony is one, I know there's others), as long as she still gets a good fit.

HaileysMommy

My DDs stats are in my siggy. She is 4.5 and doesn't meet the minimum for the turbo height wise. She just hit 37" in a growth spurt. I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't 38" by 5. She is very small for her age. I am comfortable boostering her for short trips. Specifically, she has just now outgrown the cosco hbb (in harness mode) that my friend has installed in her van for DD. We frequently all pile in her van instead of taking 2 vehicles. Easy solution being putting DD in the turbo. But she is an inch too short. I don't want to get in a fight about 4 and 40. I'm a tech so I'm well aware of the general rules. DD has ridden in the turbo in my car a couple times and she does great so that's not a concern at all. We had a very serious talk about why and how to sit properly and what would happen if she didn't. She is very mature for her age.

So what would the difference be if she did grow an inch but it was in her legs? Her torso wouldn't be any taller thus the shoulder belt fit would be the same. Just devils advocating here :)

HaileysMommy

Yeah, I guess we'd need to know the specifics. Looking at the carseats measurement page, 38" seems pretty common among the brands. Heck, Harmony has a 34" minimum for NBB mode :eek:. I would think that the vast majority of booster ready kids would certainly be above 38". Of course, there's always be children with growth disorders, dwarfism, etc. that could be booster ready before the height minimum. But I think those cases would be very, very rare.

ETA: I see your little peanut is a short, little peanut! If it's for her--and only YOU can determine if she' ready for booster training or not--I'd stick to a booster with lower stated limits (Harmony is one, I know there's others), as long as she still gets a good fit.

Haha you must have ETA'd when I was replying! Yes it he question was specific to DD. She is tiny isn't she? Lol

agave

The Probooster has a 37" height minimum. My 37" 3.5 yr old doesn't look as dwarfed in it as other seats she's tried out (not driving).

HaileysMommy

The Probooster has a 37" height minimum. My 37" 3.5 yr old doesn't look as dwarfed in it as other seats she's tried out (not driving).

I wonder how I missed that! I've steered clear of it since it seems to be tippy in a lot of vehicles.

Too bad I don't have funds for a PB :-/

Here is DD in the TB
View attachment 21520

Last edited:

creideamh

Omg, my 2.5 y/o (who isn't quite 2.5) is her height. LOL! The fit is great, but I'm not sure I'd go against the overall minimum.

Mamasboys

That is a really good fit on her. Hmm, measure her height to the top of her curls, instead of her head. Maybe? That's 38" for sure, lol.

tiggercat

I am so not having another 4 and 40 discussion, lol. Personally? I think she's too small. YMMV!

My 3yo is the same weight but has at least 3in on her ;)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Personally, I care more about age than size, as long as the minimums are met.

The minimums aren't met.

She's 4 years old and I don't like 4yos in boosters except for emergencies.

She'd fit in almost any harnessed seat on the market. She doesn't need to be boostered.

Just my :twocents:.

Mamasboys

I am so not having another 4 and 40 discussion, lol. Personally? I think she's too small. YMMV!

My 3yo is the same weight but has at least 3in on her ;)

Oh, yeah, I hear ya. I'm not a tech, so anything I say (especially the measuring to the top of the ponytail) is playful, only. I would never give advice to a tech. I only know that some HBB do have lower limits that would accommodate smaller than average kids.

I know *I* (as only a parent) would follow manufacturers' min/max and NHTSA guidelines, and local/state laws.

HaileysMommy

Omg, my 2.5 y/o (who isn't quite 2.5) is her height. LOL! The fit is great, but I'm not sure I'd go against the overall minimum.

LOL I know! She is the height of a 50% just turned 3 year old. She is way below 3% on the chart. People ask me all the time if she is 2 and are shocked that she is 4.5.

HaileysMommy

My 3yo is the same weight but has at least 3in on her ;)[\B]

Lol yeah this is pretty much how it goes. All her younger friends are much taller than she is. But I <3 having a bitty girl!

HaileysMommy

It does fit her well, but my gut reaction at seeing the pic of her in it is one of OMG, that baby is way too young for a booster. JMHO.

Lol I totally get this. Would you have the same reaction if she was the same size at 5? She isn't likely to be much bigger by then. Or would you assume she is only 3ish?

glockchick

Lol I totally get this. Would you have the same reaction if she was the same size at 5? She isn't likely to be much bigger by then. Or would you assume she is only 3ish?

It would depend. It is completely unscientific, but right now she still has that toddler look to her. I'd prefer to see more of a "kid" look. It makes me more comfortable. But it's just a gut feeling that I have nothing to back up.

nannykates

Would I be comfortable using the turbo in an emergency or a situation where a younger kid needed her seat for the trip? Yes. Would I choose it for her routinely? No.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC