News Thank goodness for car seats!

happymom

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=25476747&section=top-story

ROY — A woman and her 6-month-old grandchild were not injured Wednesday when a FrontRunner train crashed into the front end of the woman's car. Police said the vehicle was caught on the tracks between the crossing arms at 4800 South and 2700 West about 11:45 a.m. Witnesses told police the woman entered the crossing while the lights were flashing, and the arms lowered, said Roy Police Chief Greg Whinham. The woman then exited the vehicle and tried to get help raising the crossing arms, but was unsuccessful, Whinham said. She was still outside the car when the train hit, ripping off the front of the vehicle, while the child remained in a car seat in the back seat. Whinham said he hopes the incident will teach people in similar situations to drive through the crossing arms and off the tracks if their car is still operable. "The design of those crossing arms is that you drive through them," Whinham said. "You get yourself off the tracks, whether you go backward or forward, it doesn't matter. And we don't care if you bust the arms off. They're actually designed to break away with very little pressure." Whinham said this isn't the first time he's seen someone get caught in between the crossing arms, become afraid and believe they are "trapped." The woman was cited in the incident, he said.

ADS

Nimommyof2

Really a train is coming and your going to leave you vehicle abandoning the baby in it?? I'd be punching the gas for sure

HaileysMommy

Wow..I seriously don't understand how breaking through the barriers isn't your first reaction. She obviously hasn't watched enough tv.

katymyers

Really a train is coming and your going to leave you vehicle abandoning the baby in it?? I'd be punching the gas for sure

:yeahthat: and it was her GRANDBABY!!! I would KILL my mother for something like that and probably never even look at my MIL!

Stelvis

I'll never understand why people are so cavalier about railroad crossings. I'm glad no one was injured.

eddis

I seem to recall there was a Britax promotional video where a minivan was stuck in traffic and got caught on RR tracks. The mom and (2?) older kids got out and waited by the side of the road; the dad went back to try to get one kid out who was stuck in his car seat. The train hit the van. The dad was severely injured (because he wasn't secured at all) but survived, and the child was fine.

On a related note - saw this via social media last night, it didn't end so well. :( (I read in comments somewhere that the 2yo was in a car seat and the 5yo was in a seat belt.) So sad.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Mo...ado-Wreck-That-Killed-Children-197678541.html

thepote

I seem to recall there was a Britax promotional video where a minivan was stuck in traffic and got caught on RR tracks. The mom and (2?) older kids got out and waited by the side of the road; the dad went back to try to get one kid out who was stuck in his car seat. The train hit the van. The dad was severely injured (because he wasn't secured at all) but survived, and the child was fine.

On a related note - saw this via social media last night, it didn't end so well. :( (I read in comments somewhere that the 2yo was in a car seat and the 5yo was in a seat belt.) So sad.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Mother-Charged-in-Fatal-Colorado-Wreck-That-Killed-Children-197678541.html

Yes that video is on their marketing firm's website. It bugs me because it doesn't mean Britax is safest. Based on the crash pretty much any seat would have done the same.... And may have been easier to heft out of the van :rolleyes:

eddis

It bugs me because it doesn't mean Britax is safest.

I remember thinking that as well, when I saw the video. But, it was a Britax seat, so they get to feature it on their site. ("Able to withstand a train collision!" :rolleyes:)

I'm still puzzled about the Colorado accident. It won't bring back the children, sadly, but I wonder why the 2yo didn't make it, if she was in a car seat. :(

(ETA: Not trying to be judgmental of the mom in the accident, she is facing enough heartache for the rest of her life. Only trying to understand this from a car seat perspective...)

T4K

I remember thinking that as well, when I saw the video. But, it was a Britax seat, so they get to feature it on their site. ("Able to withstand a train collision!" :rolleyes:)

I'm still puzzled about the Colorado accident. It won't bring back the children, sadly, but I wonder why the 2yo didn't make it, if she was in a car seat. :(

If you read the Facebook comments below the story, someone claims the 2 year old was in a car seat and the 5 year old just in the seatbelt.

eddis

If you read the Facebook comments below the story, someone claims the 2 year old was in a car seat and the 5 year old just in the seatbelt.

Yep, I had seen that. I had read that the car was struck on the passenger side, but didn't see anywhere whether both kids were on the passenger side. I guess maybe if the car didn't have side airbags, then even being in a car seat would provide minimal protection at the point of impact. :(

(I read in comments somewhere that the 2yo was in a car seat and the 5yo was in a seat belt.) So sad.

scariestone

"Whinham said he hopes the incident will teach people in similar situations to drive through the crossing arms and off the tracks if their car is still operable."

Really? He hopes that's what they will learn? Not hmm let me think, don't drive onto the freaking railroad tracks when the lights are flashing!?! :doh: I'm so glad this didn't end tragically but I seriously want to smack the"grandmother". There is no excuse for what she did.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC