The developmental needs of children as it relates to CPS...Need input, ideas, and/or photos!!

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Hi everyone,
It's been a long time since I've posted here... life has been beyond crazy!

I've been asked to give a power-point presentation on the developmental aspects of car seat safety. The audience will be about 30 CPSTs. Topics will include things like:

-Tips on preventing toddlers from unbuckling themselves
-The peer-pressure/embarrassment some older children feel when riding in boosters and how to address that.
-And maybe a few tips about keeping children with special needs safe.

I'd love to hear some of your thoughts about other issues/developmental challenges you've experienced or think would be helpful to address.... And any ways you solved problems. For example, toddlers may try to unbuckle the harness retainer clip, so parents may try to tape it shut...which of course isn't safe. Have you come up with a safe solution? Etc...

Or are there any new seats or (approved) products you've found helpful? For example, is the harness retainer clip on the "such and such" seat hard to unbuckle?

I don't have children of my own, so my experience is limited to 'textbook' and things I've seen/heard at seat checks....but I know there's a wealth of experience and knowledge here on this board.

Also, if anyone has any photos of anything like: children 'escaping' from seats, crazy seat alterations/contraptions you've seen, etc.. that they'd be willing to share, I can't even tell you how appreciative I'd be. I don't have any nieces/nephews/children of my own, so I'm kind of stuck. Of course, I'm happy to block out faces, give credit, etc.

Thank you so much!!!!!!! :bow:

ADS

soph's mom

Also, I've been told to tell older kids to tell their friends that their parents want them to be as safe as possible so they got them the big kid seats and also say they're cool and comfortable...

Athena

I hear stories of older kids being embarrassed, but have yet to experience that with my (yes, she's still harnessed) first grader. I think a lot of it stems from parental attitudes, so if we can teach the parents ... also, having a seat they like with cool cup holders helps. I emphasize how comfy and special their seats are and my kids love them. My DD likes feeling safe and will even point out (to me) when another first grader isn't.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I explain to my kids why they need a booster. I teach the "Boosters are for Big Kids" curriculum, basically, lol. One was asked once why she used a booster seat. She explained that if she didn't, she could get hurt or killed in a crash. Her friend ended up asking her mom to put her booster seat back in the car... Teaching kids the WHY can really help empower them to insist on riding safely in the car.

I believe BAFBK is clinically proven effective, actually, if you email Stephanie Tombrello she'd probably be able to give you more info on that.

nannykates

For my cousin, when she asked why she needed a booster I told her to make a grown up seatbelt fit someone who is not quite grown up. I also put her in her booster and pulled the lap portion of the seatbelt very tight and asked her how much it hurt (she said barely). Then I made her sit on the vehicle seat and buckled her (with intentionally high lap belt) and pulled it tight again and asked if it hurt again (she said much more). Then I explained that a car crash will squish your insides much more than I did, so much they might not even work right anymore! I also like to show kids the 5 step test, that way they know what the end goal is.

Hope that helped!

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Those are great suggestions. Being able to tell anecdotes really helps convey the message. And thanks for the reminder about BAFBK! I had forgotten about that. I'll email Stephanie. Thanks everyone!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC