Carseat returns in Canada?

Chila88

A ton of US threads on here talk about people buying a seat, trying it, and then sending it back if it doesn't fit their child or vehicle well. From what I understand this is mostly a non-option in Canada as almost all retailers I've looked at mark seats as a final sale. Does anyone know of any Cdn retailers that allow you to return? What about the new guys on the scene that allow returns in the US......Target? Amazon.ca?

I need to get a booster for DD, but don't have the option to go try them all in stores and will likely need to buy online. I want to try the Monterey but am freaked about the belt guide (even the latest one they released) and want to try it first. I think Sears is the only place in town that carries the Monterey....anyone know if they will take a return? Has anyone had any luck getting Sears to let you try it in your car? (our baby dept is 2 floors up in a large mall downtown :( so not an easy thing to do!)

I've been hunting around on websites for a return policy but am not finding much info specifically about carseat returns.....

ADS

redsoxmama

Though not known for their car seats, I am certain that Canadian Tire allows you to return seats. I bought one and it was awful so I took it back about an hour after purchasing it (my in laws purchased it, I took it back after trying to install it) and they didn't even look in the box or anything, just took it back and gave me my money back, no questions asked.

jacqui276

I had to fib a bit to be able to return a seat to Sears. I pulled it out of the box, placed it in a car to see how it fit, put it back in the box (still all labels attached) and retaped it very carefully. When I went to exchange it for a different seat, they lectured me on how they aren't supposed to take car seat returns (the lady at customer service didn't know so the person who worked in the car seat section came over to discuss this with me) and said that if I even peaked inside the box that they can't resell it. I assured her that I didn't even open the box (I was very very careful when removing it from the box and replacing it so that it didn't look tampered with at all) and after much reluctance they agreed to take it back. I was exchanging it for a more expensive seat (myride for r100) but it was a hassle and I definitely won't be buying any sort of car seat at Sears if I have even a chance of not wanting to keep it.

Sears would also not let me try any seats in the vehicle before purchase. Not sure if it was specific to the Sears near me, but they were a pita. The car seat area of mine is right by their doors and my car was parked about 20 feet away.

I bought a couple of Harmony V7s at Walmart and they assured me that I could return them, even if opened, if I was not happy with them. I didn't try to return them though so I don't know how successful that would have been.

Dani_mummy

Costco has a few car seats, mostly Safety First and Graco. Costco takes back anything amd everything and they price match within a certain time period.

dragonfly8

I had returned a HBB a few years back, to Canadian Tire. I had opened the box and noticed it had an almost 2 years on it already, I did NOT use it (but of course, they don't know that). They took it back, no problem. They did not even ask if it had been used etc etc.

tam_shops

Some CT stores are pickier than others. One of ours is *really* picky about all returns. If you admit to having opened (anything), they won't take it back.

So, just play it safe. When they ask did you open/use this?
You say, "Noooooo". If they question further, you say, "It was like that when I got it, I opened the box, noticed it and closed it right back up again".

I've seen this in action at the picky store multiple times, works every time.

The flip side.

Did you use it?
Yes.
Sorry, we can't take it back.

Not as good! LOL

Best of luck!

Oh, btw, some stores will let you take the seat to your car to *try* it before you buy, can save a lot of trouble, as can seeing/asking a tech about your car. We all have a variety of seats and cars and know what does/not fit in our own and others we've tried...

tam

Alison's Mom

Hmmm, none of us would probably want to buy a previously returned seat, right? The owner could have dropped it etc when trying to install. Perhaps we carseat people on this board would never drop a seat and return it, but they have to have the same policy for everyone. So, I can understand a store not wanting to take returns, especially if it's been opened and they can't resell, unless it's defective. Unless the manufacturer will take it back, they lose money on the return if not sellable. These same stores, should, then have a demo seat for each model that they let you take out to your car, try the install, and put your child in it before buying it. I know TJ's has a somewhat poor reputation on this board, but they let you try the demo seat as long as you leave them your driver's license as collateral. Good system. I'm not sure if other stores let you, but if you offer to leave your credit card and license, it seems like it would be a pretty good bet you'll bring the demo seat back, if that's what they're worried about.

Now with strictly online sales where people can't try before buying, not sure what the solution is, except finding a local person with the seat and trying it that way, but not always possible, esp in small towns/remote locations. Do these US companies take a loss, or resell a seat that's been opened and tried out in someone's car with a child in it?

Chila88

Dothese US companies take a loss, or resell a seat that's been opened and tried out in someone's car with a child in it?

I think they sell them off to clearance sites like Wayfair & No Better Deal to recoup some of their costs.

Boosters are tough compared to other seats. You not only have to worry about vehicle fit, but finding the right fit for your child is tough too (not that the fit of a child isn't important in other seats, but belt fit is a huge factor in a booster).

I wouldn't want to buy a seat that had been returned, so I totally get why they don't take them back, but it sure would take the stress out of buying a booster to know it could go back if it doesn't work. Anyway...I'll stop complaining now ;)

Alison's Mom

Yes, I've heard of the clearance sites, and I've heard of other companies trying to resell to unknowing customers, so people will buy or order a seat, then open the box and find Cheerio crumbs in it!

I agree that booster fit is hard without trying it out on the child in a specific car. Don't know what to suggest on that one! Even knowing it fits a similar sized child in the same vehicle doesn't really help much as there is so much variation with kids' shoulder width, and torso shape that's hard to measure. . . .

jacqui276

I think that there is a bit of a difference too between someone buying a seat, placing it in their car, then deciding that it doesn't work and returning it versus someone who has their kid ride around in it for a week spilling all over it. I would be totally fine with a seat that had been opened, glanced at, then resealed versus one that had actually been used.

I was comfortable fibbing about having opened the seat that I had returned because I literally just pulled it out of the box, installed it in the car (with all tags still attached), realized that it wouldn't work for my 3 across and put it back in the box. If Sears would have let me try it out in my vehicle, I would have done so instead of buying it but they wouldn't allow it (and I had a gift card to spend so didn't get elsewhere to shop).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC