First Years True Fit internal belt clamp hurts my son's lower back.

Maritime Mummy

My son is in a First Years True Fit.

I am having problems with it! I haven't had issues until now. I love it but the seat padding has been worn down and it's really thin on the lower back.

In other seats this may not be a huge problem, but this seat has belt clamps inside the seat under the seat padding:

(This isn't my picture, my husband left before I could take a pic).

Anyway, my problem...see the fabric part that's lifted up? See the foam? My seat pre-dates that foam. That's a new added feature.. So the cushy upholstry, when we first got it, was all that provided his back support from those plastic clamps. It's now worn down to about 1/4 of an inch.

I contacted the company and they told me I would have to purchase a new seat cover at $60 plus shipping. BUt that doesn't solve the problem, it just puts me out $60+ for a temporary fix...because it will happen again.

There is quite a large, open space between the seat cover and the clamp. Could I possibly fold over a small receiving blanket to fit into that space? Does that make sense? I find it hard to explain. I asked the company on that and they have not gotten back to me.

by mid June he will be wearing KAFO leg braces so comfort in his car seat is going to be even more difficult. This seat has a huge overhang for his legs and with braces, I don't know how that is going to work.

Attachments

• belt-clamp.jpg
    belt-clamp.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 55
ADS

Keeyamah

Is he RFing or FFing in it? That tid-bit of info may affect what others recommend. I'm not sure because I have a almost 5 yr old, used for 4, true fit and my cover is still pretty thick. I haven't had to wash it much though.

I hope some other ladies come chime in on this for you.

Maritime Mummy

Is he RFing or FFing in it? That tid-bit of info may affect what others recommend. I'm not sure because I have a almost 5 yr old, used for 4, true fit and my cover is still pretty thick. I haven't had to wash it much though.

I hope some other ladies come chime in on this for you.

Sorry, he's FF. Although this would be a problem no matter if he were rear or forward facing. That little plastic clamps is still there and grinding into his back no matter what his position.

I haven't ever washed the cover more than a spot cleaning.

I wish I had the seat here today to take a picture of. But basically, imagine the seat in that picture up there, without the foam on the back of the pad.

tiggercat

Sorry, he's FF. Although this would be a problem no matter if he were rear or forward facing. That little plastic clamps is still there and grinding into his back no matter what his position.

I haven't ever washed the cover more than a spot cleaning.

I wish I had the seat here today to take a picture of. But basically, imagine the seat in that picture up there, without the foam on the back of the pad.

Are you saying that your seat is missing the foam on the shell? You should be able to order a replacement foam piece. A new cover won't fix the problem, you're correct.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Maritime Mummy

Are you saying that your seat is missing the foam on the shell? You should be able to order a replacement foam piece. A new cover won't fix the problem, you're correct.

Yes, the foam isn't there, but it's because it pre-dated the foam. I understand the foam piece was added to later models.

the company basically said I needed to buy a new seat cover but I just contacted them to ask if they could just send a piece of foam to retrofit what I have.

tiggercat

Yes, the foam isn't there, but it's because it pre-dated the foam. I understand the foam piece was added to later models.

the company basically said I needed to buy a new seat cover but I just contacted them to ask if they could just send a piece of foam to retrofit what I have.

And they will not provide the replacement foam to you? Did they give you a reason why not?

How old is your seat?

aries416

I have an original True Fit Premier from 2009. It has the foam. I have another one from 2010 and it also has the foam. My covers have been washed countless times and my kids never complain about this seat.

Maritime Mummy

And they will not provide the replacement foam to you? Did they give you a reason why not?

How old is your seat?

It was manufactured early 2010 and I got it mid 2010, intended as a secondary seat for my older daughter, who just turned 1 at the time. She didn't get much use out of it and we gave it to my son to use full time when he was born in 2011.

They didn't give me a reason. I feel like I screwed up communication with them. At first they told me they'd replace the foam. Well, the only foam I knew the seat had was actually attached to the frame of the seat, not the underside of the seat cover. I didn't see any newer models so I had no idea what she was offering. I declined and mentioned that it seemed like the actual seat cover's fabric in that area was compressed. they responded and told me the seat's warranty only covered for a year, since that was up, a replacement cover would cost about $60. I've written twice since then with no response.

Maritime Mummy

I have an original True Fit Premier from 2009. It has the foam. I have another one from 2010 and it also has the foam. My covers have been washed countless times and my kids never complain about this seat.

IT HAS FOAM? Mine isn't the Premier, I wonder if that's the difference? It's a 630C.

Dorothy

I can't remember the DOM on our TF (regular, not recline, premier, etc.), but it expires next year, IIRC. It has soft foam glued to the EPS foam on the shell to pad the child's back. It has discolored a bit over time, but it is not compressed. Here is a pic of our foam:

ForumRunner_20130604_110304.png

Please excuse the crumbs. We just got back from a long trip, and I haven't had a chance to clean yet.

Maritime Mummy

I can't remember the DOM on our TF (regular, not recline, premier, etc.), but it expires next year, IIRC. It has soft foam glued to the EPS foam on the shell to pad the child's back. It has discolored a bit over time, but it is not compressed. Here is a pic of our foam:

View attachment 21484

Please excuse the crumbs. We just got back from a long trip, and I haven't had a chance to clean yet.

Is there anything that covers and cushions the lower back from the clamps? I get that there is foam there above the clamps but what about over them?

EDIT: Waaaaait a minute. Okay, so my seat does have the foam.

Okay, so that bit is cleared up! The problem though is that the little seat cover flap that you lift up? That is worn quite thin. The space below the foam, where you can see the belt and the clamps? He is feeling that.

The way people were talking in other forums, it sounded like I was missing some sort of foam that is stuck to the inside of the shell, on that little flap.

confused? lol

Last edited:

Dorothy

No, there is no additional foam directly over the lock off. Its just the padded fabric flap. However, the lock off is recessed, so it doesn't touch DD's back at all. We were on the road for 10 hours the other day, and the only complaint she had was that her "bottom was feeling tired of sitting."

ETA: I didn't mean to imply your LO doesn't feel something pressing on his back. I was just thinking "out loud" that DD didn't seem to find the lock off uncomfortable. She's 5.5, so we would know if something was poking her back! ;) I was also wondering if it might be the waist band/belt loops on his pants. We have to dress DS in sport shorts or sweat pants to travel, because he can't stand anything pressing on him when he's sitting/contained like that. Just a thought...

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I had a TrueFit Premier with an early 2009 Dom that had foam. Had a late 2009 that had it as well. Strange.

Are you sure the lock-off is closed?

Maritime Mummy

Yeah, the lock off clamp is closed. I'm pretty meticulous about that. I LOVE the feature of the lock-off but like you said Dorothy, it's recessed...it just seems like the seat padding is recessing in that spot along with it.

I tried once...folding up a small receiving blanket and putting it in that space. I know this is a no-no but he was so much happier that trip. :-(

Maritime Mummy

If I can get him through to fall/winter, I could afford to get him a new seat. I was recommended a Nautilus for my daughter, so i am getting one for her, but I can only afford one now.

He is getting KAFO braces in 2 weeks and I have been told they will add 10lbs to his weight. I was thinking of giving him her old seat but her old seat only goes to 47 lbs, and with the braces he'll be 45.

ANNNNYWAY, I was looking at, when I could afford it, getting him a Nautilus, too. I had someone tell me today, "No one will recommend a Nautilus for a 2-year-old". Is that true? What would make her say that? I mean I know she was advocating ERF to age 4 but she knew I am FF'ing my son now.

Dorothy

I think that most people passionate about child passenger safety advocate for ideal usage. While continuing to rf would generally be the most common recommendation around here, we all know that "ideal" and real life sometimes don't match up.

I have no experience with the braces vs seat thing, but I'm sure you'll get some great responses about that on your other thread. However, I wonder if a single, unfolded pre fold cloth diaper between your son and the lock off space would help. Techs, would that be acceptable?

nannykates

Could your daughter use this seat and get something else for him? I also posted on your other thread but taking into account the financial consideration this would be the best way to accomodate the needs of both children.

Maritime Mummy

Could your daughter use this seat and get something else for him? I also posted on your other thread but taking into account the financial consideration this would be the best way to accomodate the needs of both children.

That wouldn't really solve the issue of the plastic clamp being uncomfortable though.

I MIGHT have a solution.

I am on a message board for parents of children with my son's condition. Apparently, my son can go brace-less while in the car. That solves the issue with him being close to max with his sister's seat.

EDIT: BUt Dorothy, being able to use something like that cloth diaper idea would be the best way to go all around, since then he can still wear the braces in the car and we wouldn't have to take them off and put them on with every stop.

CMeMeC

I can see why it would be uncomfortable. I have a true fit dom of 8/10, it has the foam and a nice new cover, but I can still feel the clamp through it. My son doesn't complain, but he is 2 and we don't spend a lot of time in the car. I would putting a diaper over it, cloth or a disposable would help I would think. Also, NBD has a nautilus for under $100 if that helps make 2 affordable.

jess71903

Ambassador
For my own kids, I would be fine with rolling up a receiving blanket or cloth diaper to put in that space so long as it didn't bulge out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC