SS1 base - routing of UAS/LATCH belt

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Today at a check I came across a SS1 that had the belt routed upside down from the factory. From what I can tell, there's no way that the lower anchor belt can be twisted at all where it's attached, and the anchors are upside down unless you twist each end of the belt a half turn - obviously incorrect and quite clear that the belt itself is simply attached to the base upside down.

The serial # and DOM have all been taken down and whatever channels the info travels to get to Transport Canada has been started. In the meantime vehicle seatbelt is being used and parent will contact Graco...

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this? I don't see this as being a one base involved type thing... I wouldn't be surprised if a recall comes out of this...

ADS

ThreeBeans

Huh, I'll have to take a look at mine. I've got mine installed with the seatbelt, so I never even unhooked the lower anchor strap from the base.

snowbird25ca

Huh, I'll have to take a look at mine. I've got mine installed with the seatbelt, so I never even unhooked the lower anchor strap from the base.

Same here. I just looked at mine though and it's definitely not upside down. And I don't see an easy way to twist that belt in the slot it goes through, if it's even possible.

The affected seat was a March 2007 DOM. And it had basically been taken out of the box and installed just for today... the seat hadn't been messed around with or anything.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
The recall on the ComfortSport was for something similar. Maybe it effected more than just that seat.

Susan

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Maybe it fits better on that upside down LATCH bar that Chuck Hirata posted about on CPSPList?

Just kidding :)

Yeah, I'd contact Graco, that's a definite booboo that needs fixing....

snowbird25ca

Maybe it fits better on that upside down LATCH bar that Chuck Hirata posted about on CPSPList?

Just kidding :)

LOL. At first I thought you were being serious in my morning brain fog. :p I had read about that on the list.

Man, if you put the 2 together I wonder if it would even stay hooked up. It was freaky scary how the upside down connectors practically slid off of this mom's lower anchors. I had told her they could be really hard to get off, or not stay on as well, and in her case they would've come off easily... Mom was glad to know it wasn't just her being car seat challenged though.

Wonder what Graco will say? I'm going to find my piece of paper with the serial# and DOM and give them a call too and I'll post to the CPSPList too, I actually went to bed early last night, otherwise I would've already posted there. :cool:

snowbird25ca

Urgh, I feel like such a dope. :hitselfonhead: I really thought I had everything off the base - I looked for other info, the DOM and ser# were bolded, nothing else. Well, in smaller print up above the ser# and DOM there is a model #, and Graco doesn't even know what kind of base I'm talking about without that. :rolleyes: (I called to see if they'd send out a replacement base to parents affected.)

It also means that our organizer doesn't have the complete info for Transport Canada - although she has a phone # for mom, but that will involve sorting through 78 forms to find the one she's looking for. (Did I mention we did 78 seats in a 2hr check that ended up taking 3hrs to clear the last of the vehicles from the fire hall?)

I feel like such a dolt. And frustrated at the dumb Graco rep for pretending that she had no clue what type of routing the LATCH/UAS belt had on a SS1 without the model #. Not like Graco makes tons of carriers and bases, they have 2, I'd think it's not rocket science... :scratcheshead:

Anyways... I'm frustrated. I know mom is going to be calling Graco anyways, but we all know the track record car seat manufacturers have for issuing recalls.. and without TC involvement who knows if further investigation will get done... Here's hoping that the form is already off to the side and that mom can be contacted... but I think that the applicable info was written down separately.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC