Using a booster over the weight limit

jsta1005

Would you use a booster with a child who is over the weight limit if they still needed a booster? Would it be better to use a HBB or just a NBB? Which boosters have the highest weight limits? Would it be better to buy new backless boosters for the couple extra pounds on the weight limit than using a HBB over the weight limit?

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Are you saying that your 5 year old is over 100/120 pounds? Or is this a kid not listed in your sig? I'm asking because a 5 yo kid who is 100 pounds is probably going to be shaped very differently than say.. a 10 yo who is 100 pounds, and that will affect which seats will fit the child.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Theoretically I have no issues with using a belt-positioning booster over the stated weight limit. The real problems, in my experience, are physically fitting a child in a seat once they weigh over 100 lbs. If the kid fits in the current booster but is over the weight limit - I would not buy another booster for that reason alone. If the child was squished or otherwise uncomfortable or if you just want an excuse to buy a new booster, then sure. :)

jsta1005

The child in question is the oldest in my siggy thay I apparently need to update. She is now 6.5. She's in a HBTB w/SS, a regular HBTB, and one of the HB Evenflos. She fits in all of them but is now over the weight limit.

Athena

Turbos aren't that tall. If she's over the weight limit, have you checked to see if she's too tall to use the back?

There are boosters that go to 120 pounds, like the Frontiers or Parkway. If she's really over 100 pounds, then she might be a lot more comfortable in something wider like the Frontier.

MorgieBear'sMama

For a 6.5 year old that is over 100lbs I would definitely invest in a larger booster. Turbos are just not made for larger kids. DD started refusing hers even as backless around 8 and 80lbs.

tiggercat

The child in question is the oldest in my siggy thay I apparently need to update. She is now 6.5. She's in a HBTB w/SS, a regular HBTB, and one of the HB Evenflos. She fits in all of them but is now over the weight limit.

I would purchase a booster rated to 120lb. If the child still needed a booster over 120lb, I would continue to use the booster until 5 stepping.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

jsta1005

Which boosters have a 120 lb. weight limit? And if you we're buying for a 6.5 year old would you be ok with a NBB.

Reactions: Kac

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I believe Monterey is 120. If you can get your hands on an original Frontier, they had no weight limit. It fit my very solid former charge comfortably, when he was 9 and around 100lb.

blueindigo

Which boosters have a 120 lb. weight limit? And if you we're buying for a 6.5 year old would you be ok with a NBB.

I would be OK with a NBB for a 6.5 yr old if it provides a good belt fit, she stays in position, and has proper vehicle head support.

I checked the Carseat Measurements- Quick Data & Features for booster seats and some of the seats rated to 120 pounds include the Britax Parkway SG / SGL, Clek Olli, Clek Ozzi, Diono Monterey, Diono Santa Fe, Recaro ProBooster, and Combi Kobuk. Hopefully someone more familiar with these seats can weigh in on if any may work for your daughter.

jsta1005

I believe Monterey is 120. If you can get your hands on an original Frontier, they had no weight limit. It fit my very solid former charge comfortably, when he was 9 and around 100lb.

I have one!! I just switched it out for her until I can figure something out. I am one of the few who doesn't have frontier as a booster love!

It really doesn't have a weight limit?! That's awesome!

jsta1005

I checked the Carseat Measurements- Quick Data & Features for booster seats and some of the seats rated to 120 pounds include the Britax Parkway SG / SGL, Clek Olli, Clek Ozzi, Diono Monterey, Diono Santa Fe, Recaro ProBooster, and Combi Kobuk. Hopefully someone more familiar with these seats can weigh in on if any may work for your daughter.

Thanks for looking there. I didn't even think of that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC