Question Child restraint question

U

Unregistered

Neighbor doesn't use seatbelts for her 5 and 8 year-old. They stand and move in the car. Sometimes have hands and head outside of the sunroof. I've seen the little one come out of the front seat, hanging on to the passenger door because the mother pulled away from the curb before he has closed the door completely. He didn't hit the ground, his feet were hanging on to the well in the front seat. She did stop the car till he pulled himself in (while she yelled the F word.) The 8 year-old has gotten out of the car before she has completely stopped and the front passenger door has jerked out of his hands.
Is this neglect or abuse? Are seatbelt law only in effect if the parent/guardian is observed in the commission of a crime? Don't want to interfere in someone's family if this isn't necessary. It's very disturbing.
Thanks.

ADS

smileyblue4

If it was me, I'd call the police and report them anonymously. Especially if she's doing it all the time like you say she is, it should be easy for them to catch her. Write down her license plate number. Consider yourself a good samaritan. Maybe she really doesn't know what she doesn't know, but that's hard to believe...

3 ladybugs

If it was me, I'd call the police and report them anonymously. Especially if she's doing it all the time like you say she is, it should be easy for them to catch her. Write down her license plate number. Consider yourself a good samaritan. Maybe she really doesn't know what she doesn't know, but that's hard to believe...

Yeah that! It sounds like there could be also more abuse happening that you just can't see.

creideamh

This.

It depends on your state whether a seatbelt/child restraint violation is a primary offense. Car seat misuse/non-use generally isn't considered child abuse (again, could depend on your state), but it sounds like they may have other abuse/neglect things going on.

Athena

Although the laws vary by state, it likely is illegal. I agree to call in their license number anonymously. This is terribly dangerous and you're doing the right thing by trying to protect them.

She did stop the car till he pulled himself in (while she yelled the F word.)

:eek::eek::eek::jaw:

Good luck!!!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC