Question Extended rear facing HELP needed

U

Unregistered

I have a two year old who's 50% for weight. (haven't weighed her lately) She's in a Britax Marathon in my car and a Decathalon in my husbands (or the other way around) and both seats are expiring (though we have a little more time for hubby's car). I was all ready to buy a Frontier tonight, having confused Combination seats and Convertible terms (surely I am not the first to do so). Now I'm thinking a Radian, since I want to keep her RF, but I'm not sure about different models...I read about side impact protection, but not sure if that's all of them. I like that it's narrower since I sometimes have to squeeze between the car seat and big sistet's booster, plus I'd like to be able to put a second booster in to drive OD's friends. I have an 05 Honda CR-V. Does anyone have fit problems with Radian?

I wanted to get the new seat installed and take the old one on our two trips this summer (so we won't have to reinstall after arriving home) (but leaving next Sat so I need to order YESTERDAY!). Our old Britax will be heavy to roll around the airport on a luggage cart, but we have a CARES harness for the plane. 

Is there another seat I should consider if I want to ERF? and are there Radian model options to consider? Is the narrow width a comfort problem at all?

Also, need an ERF car seat for hubby's 09(?) Civic. She rides in my car 95% of the time, but we need a seat in his car. Not crazy about spending the $$ for a Radian that sits empty. Is the Scenera an option? Then we could use that for our trip as I've read it's lightweight, but quality. Just concerned about comfort for longer trips since I've read of lack of padding. I've read about adding padding but wonder if that compromises safety?

Also, I keep reading that there are no safety ratings for car seats...that they are all equal, but then read elsewhere references to ratings. Can anyone clarify?

Also, a link to the chart that has sizes etc would be great. Ran across the link recently but didn't copy it. 

Thanks so much for any input that will keep me from staying up all night researching.

ADS

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Diono is the only company that releases any crash testing data. But we have nothing to compare it too. All seats pass the same federal testing. There is no standard for side impact protection (SIP). So companies can say all they want about their SIP. It's all marketing.

What you are likely finding for ratings is ease of use, which is very different for each person. What I think is easy you might think is hard. Or it's the flawed Consumer Reports stuff. I wouldn't read it. They have had to pull reports for doing testing in correctly.

We looked at the chicco nextfit, graco size4me70/Mysize70/headwise, and the radians.

Our dd is bigger, over 97% for height and weight so we went with the radian rxt. Plus I will be using it in a 3 across situation so the narrowness is awesome. Plus it is the only seat that can be braced.

I would get the safety1st guide65 over the scerena. It will last much longer. And is only $30 more at Walmart.

creideamh

I would go with a Radian and a SureRide for ERF. The Guide is also an option, but I found it much more of a pain to install than the SR. You could also take the Radian on the plane; it's very narrow so nice to sit next to, rolls right down the aisle on a luggage cart, and you don't have to worry about it getting lost or damaged. (Or the SR if you're buying at the same time...it only weighs 9lbs.)

And yep, you're probably seeing Consumer Reports or the NHTSA's ease of use ratings. (FWIW, they claim the TrueFit is super easy to install, and I f*!^ing hate installing it. Very subjective.)

HTH!

U

Unregistered

Thanks! I think I'll get an RXT now and look at your recommendations for DH's car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC