Vivo or Graco Turbobooster with SS?

ConnorsMommy

Im trying to decide on a booster for my 44 lb, 45 inch 6 year old. I have narrowed it down to these two and want to hear from those who use either of these regularly. My son still sleeps in the car sometimes so I want something that will provide good head support. Which do you recommend?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I own both. :)

I LOVED the Vivo for my DN until she was about 48" and about 45 pounds. She seemed to be outgrowing the seat when she was around that size. She did still fit, but it seemed to be getting small.

The Turbo Booster SS fit her adequately well (though it wasn't as good of fit as the Vivo was for her) until around the same size as the Vivo fit. I never liked the Turbo all that much with my DN.

HOWEVER...

I used the Turbo with my friend's daughter and it was a MUCH better fit than the Vivo was. My friend's daughter is more solid than my DN is, though. My DN is tall and very thin, while my friend's daughter is more "average" in build. I think that's where the difference in fit lies.

kelkel2090

CPST Instructor
I don't have a Vivo but I Love the SS for my son! However he's pretty husky so I don't know if that comes into play. He sleeps often and stats perfectly upright.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I don't have the vivo to compare but my son is very thin and fits well in the turbo ss. But he seems to be wider in the shoulders for his size. He says it is very comfortable

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My friend's kiddo (referred to above...) is truly just average in build. She's not husky and not skinny; she's just "normal kid average." Her shoulder width also seems average to me.

DN, on the other hand is very thin. She is 7.5 and is teeny in build (though she is tall!). She is an athlete (runner, basketball player, and gymnast), and has very noticeable muscles. I swear the bit of "weight" on her is all muscle because she looks like she weighs about 35 pounds, but is actually closer to 45-50. When I say she's thin, I mean it. :p She's teeny in frame (so narrow shoulders, too).

I think every kid is so different that it is hard to predict what will work best for any one kid. If one kid is 95% for height, and 50% for weight, but has a small frame, that kid will fit seats very differently than another kid who is 75% for both height and weight, but has a more average frame.

morlando27

I loved the Vivo for DS1, who is 90-95% for weight & 85-90% for height. He outgrew it by height at 8 years old. He never seemed squished in it to me nor complained. I appreciated that it didn't fall apart like the Turbo Booster and it feels more substantial. We had a TB as a spare but much preferred the Vivo.

thepote

My ds3 uses a vivo and it's a great fit but I really don't like the lap belt path. Ds3 knows how to thread it, but it's not user friendly.

MommyShannon

My ds3 uses a vivo and it's a great fit but I really don't like the lap belt path. Ds3 knows how to thread it, but it's not user friendly.

This is my thought too. DS has been using the Vivo in DH's truck lately. He is 45" and 50lbs. He's solid, but pretty average shape. DH says he sleeps great in it and DS really likes it (might just be b/c he likes being in a booster). I am fine with dd buckling herself in boosters, I don't think I will ever be ok with the Vivo though. In our truck, if you aren't sure to get the lap portion tight before putting the shoulder portion in the hole thing, you cannot tighten the lap. Its hard to explain, but dd buckles her boosters, all straps are routed right, then she tugs the shoulder part to make sure everything is good. The Vivo you have to buckle, have the lap part routed, pull tightly, then route the shoulder. I've only used it in the truck so it might be different.

lmiranda8681

I have never used the vivo so I can't really speak for that, but I have heard lots of great things about it. I have owned the turbo w/ ss and did not like it, felt really cheap, I would definitely go for the vivo

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC