Sureride vs Maestro or Other??

chloey

I need to get two new seats for my kiddos for my mom's car. My 6 year old is 43" and weighs 38 lbs. In my car he is FF in a Triumph. My daugther is almost 4 and 38" and weighs 33 lbs. In my car she is RF in a TrueFit. Yes, I have small kids :rolleyes:

I am fine with them both being FF in my mom's car. I do think I want to leave my 6 year old in a harness (even if he magically gains 2 lbs) for a while, just b/c he sleeps a lot in the car and is small. Unless there is some reason that I don't know of where it is not better to leave them in a 5pt harness.

I have been searching out seats all day and it seems that the Sureride and Maestro might be our best bets. Are there any other options in that price range that I am missing? I am looking for $100 or less a piece, as I have to buy 2 and they are not going to be their primary seats.

I read in some old threads on here that the booster mode of the Maestro is not really functional. Is that still true? If so, would I not be better off getting Surerides and leaving them harnessed until 65 lbs or 54" which is what will probably come first?

Is there any reason that I sould not leave my 6 year old in a harness as long as possible? I'm thinking he would be at least 8 before he outgrows the harness of the Sureride and it will probably be by height. I think he might hit 65 lbs about the time he graduates from high school :)

Can you all help me out here? I have always been big on my kids' seats, but I don't know where to go from here for 2nd seats. Like I said, my daugter is still RF and will be 4 in 1 month. My son was RF until his 5th birthday.

Thanks!!

ADS

mommyfrog

I believe the Sureride has taller harness slots. You have smallish kids though, so really any of the three will work great. I'd probably just get the Sureride personally and leave them harnessed in Grandma's car. That's based on MY mom's driving though!! I also have very wiggly kids and my 8 year old just moved to a booster a few months ago. My five year old will stay harnessed for a while yet too.

There is no proof either way on the harness or booster issue for kids old/big enough to booster. I do prefer to follow NHTSA's guidelines on rear facing, harnessing, and boostering though. You can find the info here. http://www.nhtsa.gov/Safety/CPS I think the handy-dandy chart will come up if you click on "car seat recommendations" near the bottom of the page.

bnsnyde

Just spent $106 on Evenflo Securekid LX (also seems to be called Securekid 300). I like it! It even fits my 6-year-old at 49 inches. Goes up to 65 lbs. We did get the maestro a year or so ago (he was 44 lbs.) but he hit 50 very fast...so couldn't use the seat long.

chloey

It looks like the SecureKid maxes out on the harness height at 50" though. My kids will hit the height limit for sure before weight limit. That is why I was thinking maybe SureRide (54") or Harmony Defender (57") both with the 65 lb limit (just in case my kids begin actually eating!).

I am thinking the Maestro is out, there seems not point to it if the booster won't actually work as a booster once they outgrow the harness.

Thoughts between the SureRide and the Defender?

mommyfrog

They can use the seats as long as the harness comes from at or above their shoulders. Since people have different proportions, that will be different heights for different kids. The Defender has 18.5 inch top harness height and the Sureride has 19.5 inch top harness height. Either one would last your kids plenty of time in a harness. Or you could get one of each. Rear face your daughter and play car seat shuffle as needed when she turns forward and/or when your ds is ready to use the Defender as a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC