Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Birth to Belt-Cheapest Plan

My cousin just had twins about a month ago. Her children are riding in Graco 22's that she bought off craigslist

She sent me a Facebook message asking for recommendations for next seats so she can start watching CL for deals

She'll likely follow Tennessee's legal minimum requirements (FF at 1, booster at 4, belt at 4'9). She's a pediatric nurse and does know better.

I know price is her main concern. What seat would you suggest?
    DS 6 years/ 46 inches/ 44lbs riding harnessed in a Frontier 85 and Frontier 90
    DD Riding in a B-Safe

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Birth to Belt-Cheapest Plan

Two Cosco Sceneras, then assuming she was buying today, two Evenflo Maestros, two Harmony Lite Riders. Total cost: $108 for each child ($40/$55/$13).

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

4. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

The evenflo surefit is the longest lasting cheap convertible I can think of....but if she's not going to do anymore than the listed rfing/harnessing a scenera is about as cheap as it gets.
    Katherine mommy to Emma 5/06 (2 Big Kids) and Ellie 6/10 (Zebra FR90 and FF TF)

6. Thank You from:

If she's looking for cheapest option I'd say Sceneras then Evenflo Amp HBB (later take the backs off). That would be $70 total a piece. Sceneras should get them to 4, then the Amps will get them till they're out boosters.

For best practice use, the SureRides would be the best bang for her buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Sarah- mama to
    Jackson - 7 years - ProBooster
    Maiya - 5.5 years - SureRide

8. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    Two Cosco Sceneras, then assuming she was buying today, two Evenflo Maestros, two Harmony Lite Riders. Total cost: $108 for each child ($40/$55/$13).

Wendy
    Where is the Maestro $55?
    Genevieve - CPST Instructor
    Ninja - 9
    Gambit - 7
    Rocket - 3

Burlington Coat Factory, though I think it's selling out at that price.

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com...380591733.aspx

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crazy

the sureride (most kids will fit the harness til 6 or 7 yo (or expiration) and is on sale fairly often, I got mine for $80 at target, then a amp hbb for $35, take the back off eventually, so $115 per kid, you could save a $10 per kid if the goal is just to meet the minimums, but these seats would be good for best practice

12. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

guide 65 followed by literider. $78+$12=$90 plus tax per child

14. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by Syllieann View Post
    guide 65 followed by literider. $78+$12=$90 plus tax per child
    The Guide doesn't fit newborns, though. The bottom slots are too high for all but the most super long torsoed newborns (10").

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    The Guide doesn't fit newborns, though. The bottom slots are too high for all but the most super long torsoed newborns (10").

Wendy
    sounds like she is looking for a follow up to the sr22, not actually a seat for a newborn

Carseat Crazy

If she is in the Knoxville area let her know to look up Bargain Mart. It has really nice seats at low prices. Last time I was in there was a pile of about 10 in box Radians for $100 each and other very discounted seats that will last a long time. There are others throughout the state I think so she would just need to google it for locations. Hope that can help some!

18. Thank You from:

Two Sure Rides @ $80 each (you can almost always get them for $80 or less off Kohls.com with coupon codes) then two Lite Riders. Total cost: $93 each. Or less if you get a better price than $80 on the SureRides.
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65