Just got the Monterey...yuck!

firemomof3

I ordered a Monterey from BRU and it has a 6/12 dom :( But worse then that are the belt guides...were their engineers smoking crack? When my ds was trying to pull the seat belt to get enough slack to buckle it, it kept getting all twisted and squished and then...it wouldn't retract :mad: Have the redesigned the belt guides yet?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, they have redesigned them. Call and ask for the new ones. (Boy, BRU had better start getting more competitive pricing before their stock gets any older, that's pretty old).

Baylor

Get the new ones. IT takes about 2 weeks but I could not use the Monterey in Any position in my van before getting the new ones and now it works in any position any car I use it in.

I don't know what they were thinking either but the new ones work like a charm.. Just a tip. When changing out the headrest, I found the easiest thing was to use a hanger not a ruler. The hanger made space and the headrest pulled out easily and the new one snapped in securely. The ruler made it a nightmare and did not work.

firemomof3

Oh well that is good news! I emailed Diono asking for a replacement head rest. I'll let you know how it turns out.
I really like how my dd1 fits nicely in the Monterey in my dh's truck, he has no headrests in the back seat & she has outgrown everything else.

Baylor

Oh well that is good news! I emailed Diono asking for a replacement head rest. I'll let you know how it turns out.
I really like how my dd1 fits nicely in the Monterey in my dh's truck, he has no headrests in the back seat & she has outgrown everything else.

The Monterey needs headrest support. Does the back of the vehicle seat go above her ears????

The FR 85 makes a higher booster does it not??? And that would not need headrest support.

firemomof3

The Monterey is suppose to have head support yes. There is a back window so that provide the head support, at least that was my thought.

Baylor

The Monterey is suppose to have head support yes. There is a back window so that provide the head support, at least that was my thought.

The window?? To me that would not be appropriate head support. I would not have thought that was okay. I know.. I am no tech but these are the threads that always have me learning something new! ;)

firemomof3

I highly doubt its an "appropriate" head support but dd1 has outgrown the Oobr, Parkway and I can't get our Frontier 85 to go tall enough for her (I took the screw out but then it only went up 1 notch :shrug-shoulders:). I hate the idea of having her head hit the glass in an accident, so for now the Monterey is all I've come up with...lesser of 2 evils.

Baylor

Ahh... Real world practice.. :)

IT would be much easier if they just made cars and car seats to work perfectly for us all the time...

firemomof3

Ahh... Real world practice.. :)

IT would be much easier if they just made cars and car seats to work perfectly for us all the time...

Yes, real world practice is a good way to put it. Today I'll try again with the Frontier to see if she can get away with it in booster mode since that would be the safer & "more correct" option. I'll try and get pics too.

momtotwogirls

It took just over a week to get the new headrest for me but it still didnt work so i sent the seat back and now I have a headrest and I dont know what to do with it lol

agave

It would be nice if seat manufacturers would make seats that don't require head support from the vehicle.

scariestone

Diono has also said you can just bypass the belt guide as long as the belt still fits properly. The new belt guide is still a pain. The angle stinks and the opening is too small so you have to pull the belt out slowly so it doesn't get all twisted. The belt does retract, sort of. Like you, my options are rather limited for boosters. DS is so wide nothing smaller than the monterey would work at all for him. So that's.....a frontier or a monterey. :rolleyes: The belt guide is my only quibble though. It fits him amazingly and is comfortable.

cookie123

I ordered a Monterey from BRU and it has a 6/12 dom :( But worse then that are the belt guides...were their engineers smoking crack? When my ds was trying to pull the seat belt to get enough slack to buckle it, it kept getting all twisted and squished and then...it wouldn't retract :mad: Have the redesigned the belt guides yet?

I wonder when they started putting on the new ones. I've yet to try them in the Routan. Ii just checked and mine are 9/10 and 1/11. At least one of them works okay in the JEtta.

Diono has also said you can just bypass the belt guide as long as the belt still fits properly. The new belt guide is still a pain. The angle stinks and the opening is too small so you have to pull the belt out slowly so it doesn't get all twisted. The belt does retract, sort of. Like you, my options are rather limited for boosters. DS is so wide nothing smaller than the monterey would work at all for him. So that's.....a frontier or a monterey. :rolleyes: The belt guide is my only quibble though. It fits him amazingly and is comfortable.

Good to know, but likely wouldn't help my situation.

I just noticed the Safety 1st Air booster has 22.5 inch belt guides if that might be an option.

Last edited by a moderator:

firemomof3

Well, here it is!
457d111a-34d3-4a1d-8f6b-5e51d1e50f7e_zpsb7af09e6.jpg

e9d79b4d-79fe-4a72-af23-e33e04eda624_zps91feab6b.jpg

Last edited:

Athena

I highly doubt its an "appropriate" head support but dd1 has outgrown the Oobr, Parkway and I can't get our Frontier 85 to go tall enough for her (I took the screw out but then it only went up 1 notch :shrug-shoulders:). I hate the idea of having her head hit the glass in an accident, so for now the Monterey is all I've come up with...lesser of 2 evils.

I thought the parkway SGL was as tall as the Monterey. Then again, it looks like she doesn't have much room in that Monterey.

I would try again with the Frontier and if you can't get it to work, I'd call Britax asap. Make sure you call right away while they might still have parts for these soon to be discontinued seats. It sounds like that would be your best option by far. Even at one notch up, I'd think the Fr85 booster guide would be as tall as the Monterey's (or very close). Have you tried it in the car?

My car's head rests are incompatible with all boosters including the Monterey, so I'm very thankful for my FR85s.

D&L's-mommy

cookie123;2548143 I just noticed the Safety 1st Air booster has 22.5 inch belt guides if that might be an option.[/QUOTE said:
the air booster requires vehicle support too.
My DS uses a monterey in DH's car, it doesn't have rear airbags so I like the SIP, this car doesn't have adjustable head rests either, but the tips of DS' ears are just at the top of the vehicle seat back, so for now I think it's better for him to have the support of the monterey on the sides and head then not have support at all. Like mentioned by PPs, lesser of 2 evils, when he has a torso growth spurt we will re-evaluate,but for now I"m comfortable with it.

I also got the new headrest, it works great in all the vehicles I've tried it in

fyrfightermomma

Ummm those are NOT your children. Your children are little. And rear facing. And tiny...and...and.....

And holy 3 across! What truck is that? THat's crazy room!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC