Safeguard seat - great price, but DS still RF - buy or not.

niccig

I've been told about a safeguard seat at a local store that's on sale - $219. I would love this seat, except, DS is still RF in the BV in my car, and I just bought another BV for DH's car. He's 2 y 8 m, 34", 28lbs. He won't be FF for probably another 12 or 18 months. Not using it will cut into the lifespan of use of the seat. So, do I get it or not??

ADS

arly1983

Well, the safeguard seat has a lifespan of seven years so if you don't use it for a year, you still get 6 yrs time for only $219.....Man, if only I could find a deal like that. You wouldn't happen to be in the south, would you?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's good for 7 years... and he'll be too tall for it maybe about the same time it expires, and that's a killer deal... heck you could resell it for a profit if you hate it...:love:

niccig

Jools, it's Nicci from the BBB board - so you say to get it??? And when he moves to FF, then sell one of the BVs that I have?
I'm actually wishing that DS was FF just so I can use this seat NOW...but I won't, he RF.

steph

Is that the Safeguard that is normally $400-500 or the Safeguard Go? If it is the first one you should totally get it!!

niccig

Ok, I got it. It's the regular safeguard seat. I called to check with DH and he definitely thinks I've gone crazy to buy a seat that I won't use straight away. He did say it could go in his car now, but that means DS would FF, and at 28lbs, he's still too little. I did say we could discuss FF/RF in a year. Or, is DH right, can he FF in DH's car, what am I saying...he still needs to RF.

Nicci

LuvBug

ooo nice price :thumbsup: is it a local only store or is it a chain that might have them all on sale?

niccig

It was USA Baby, but it's just the local store - they're not going to sell them anymore so clearing out their inventory. I got the last one.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
:happy-wavehello:

Of course I know you :).

Very cool deal! Maybe he can start using it on his third birthday in daddy's car (feed him lots of icecream so he'll be pushing 33 and you won't feel guilty... :cool:)

niccig

I would feel guilty. I know from the Human Osteology class I did that spinal ossification is all about age not weight. He's vertebrae will completely fuse sometime between 3 and 6 yo. As he can still fit RF, that is how he should travel to give those bones as much protection. I checked the harness straps, he's got 2 inches of torso growth and 5 lbs. I did tell DH that we'll discuss RF/FF as he gets closer to 4 or if DS complains of being uncomfortable

I don't know why he's such a light weight. He eats much much more than other kiddos that have 5 lbs and 3 inches on him. I have to remember that his cousin was under 40lbs at 5, and his aunt was 120lbs 9 month pregnant....maybe a few trips to the ice cream store are in order before he can use the safeguard. But what will that do to my waistline :cool:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, if your ds is like Bitsy, he'll be 33 pounds at around 4.5 (she was 28 pounds at almost-3, too...)... and she complained when she had to go FF :rolleyes: (She's more average now, 55 pounds at almost-8...I don't know how, she never eats anything...?)

:thumbsup:

natysr

Oh that is an awesome deal. If it were available online for that price, I'd have the same delima as that is the seat I'm eye next for Jordan. We too still have another year or two to RF.

niccig

Did she RF until 4.5yo? DS doesn't know any different, and that Lazy-Boy Rf with the headrest looks mighty comfy to me, so no complaints yet.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Did she RF until 4.5yo? DS doesn't know any different, and that Lazy-Boy Rf with the headrest looks mighty comfy to me, so no complaints yet.

She really did... After I learned it was good for her... she was ff from 16 months, then as soon as I could preorder a marathon to get her RF again at 3 and 29 pounds, I did...and then she just hovered at 30 pounds for the next year and a half (I tried to get her an Alpha Omega at that point, but she was too tall, so no more RF for that last two pounds...)

niccig

I've got a friend who has been asking me about car seats for her DD, she was interested in the safeguard go. I'll think about letting her us the safeguard I got today, until DS is big enough to use it. Kinda seems a waste if it doesn't get used for a year. Her DD is nearly 4 and just under 40lbs. I know she'll keep the carseat cover clean (she's a neat freak). I do run the risk of the seat not being usable if there's an accident (yes, insurance will cover it, if it's someone else's fault).

What do you all think? Share, or keep it all to myself

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
What do you all think? Share, or keep it all to myself

I'd share. At worst you're looking at saving a life and losing a car seat. Easy trade off IMO.

Of course, this is coming from the person that loaned out my MA to a total stranger on the first day of PRE-K last year when a mom forgot to leave a seat for a dad, rather than seeing a 3 yo ride off in nothing. (I lived across the street)

Kimberly

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC