no top tether-- which seat?

So, let's say you have 2 FF seats that need to be installed in the 3rd row of your 2008 dodge grand caravan, where there is only 1 top tether available.

I have a britax frontier 85 and a recaro prosport. My daughter is 4 1/2 years old, 41 inches tall, and about 33ish lbs. My son just turned 4, is also 41 inches tall, and weighed in at 34 lbs at the doctor's office last week. So, essentially, they are the same size.
Which seat gets the top tether?

My 2 1/2 year old used to be in the back row with my daughter, but I cannot load him into his RF myride over the hatch anymore. He's just too big to pop in there. I need his seat in the 2nd row captains chair so I can put him in more easily. He can't climb into the RF seat by himself, but he can climb out, which is nice.

We will be doing a ton of stuff this summer with my mom (camping, going to the shore, etc) and she will be sitting in the other 2nd row captains chair.

ADS

nannykates

Frontier 85, with long belt path and the lighter child if possible is my pick. I would also keep the seat on the captains chair when you can and just move it back when someone else has to sit there.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
o_O
your 2.5 yo can't climb into a carseat? Where do you people get these kids? I'm over here literally getting my kids off the top of the fridge! the top of the play house! the top of the VAN ROOF!! off the top of the bookshelves!! and some 2 yo's can't even climb into a seat??? What unfair trickery is this? *disgruntled*

HaileysMommy

o_O
your 2.5 yo can't climb into a carseat? Where do you people get these kids? I'm over here literally getting my kids off the top of the fridge! the top of the play house! the top of the VAN ROOF!! off the top of the bookshelves!! and some 2 yo's can't even climb into a seat??? What unfair trickery is this? *disgruntled*

Hell I can't climb I to the MR when installed RF LOL it's so ridiculously high on the sides. My DD didn't climb in her seat til she was 3ish. She just isn't a climber. Or maybe I just always plopped her in it? I don't remember but she could NOT climb into the MR. Did you give birth to monkeys?

tiggercat

o_O

I think you just have Monkeys.
Sam (almost 4) can't even climb into or out his bed (ikea kura). Moooommmmm! I have to pee!!!! At 1:30am. Bah.
He can just barely climb into a Radian in the 3rd row of the caravan, and only if he is wearing shoes, not rain boots or winter boots.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Baylor

Why not get another car seat? If the MR is too high, And you are keeping him rfing, find another better alternative. Something that works for you. Because I would not go without a top tether for a ffer rather than make it easier for a rfer just to get in and out.

xxluckychicxx

o_O

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

glockchick

Mine could have but wouldn't do it no matter what bribe I tried. They only liked to climb on things I didn't want them climbing on. :ROTFLMAO:

jacqui276

Haha I come from the group of no monkey's either. DD didn't start climbing into her seat on her own until she was around 3/4. I just lifted my almost 6 year old niece into a RFing Radian the other day because she asked for help and said she couldn't climb up.

I agree with the PPs that I would try to come up with a solution so that both FFing seats can still be top tethered.

Qarin

Where is the top tether in the third row? Can you fit the RF and a FF (tethered) back there, and remove/stow one of the captains seats when you don't have the extra adult? Then you could easily access to help your RF learn to climb in on her own and get her buckled, and just deal with it being somewhat harder when you need the captains seat in.

Or, who is riding in the front passenger seat? You/dad? Perhaps grandma can ride up front and a parent can climb through and sit in the back next to either the RF (both FF's in captains seats) or one of the FFs (with the RF in the 2nd row).

canadiangie

Where is the top tether in the third row? Can you fit the RF and a FF (tethered) back there, and remove/stow one of the captains seats when you don't have the extra adult? Then you could easily access to help your RF learn to climb in on her own and get her buckled, and just deal with it being somewhat harder when you need the captains seat in.

Or, who is riding in the front passenger seat? You/dad? Perhaps grandma can ride up front and a parent can climb through and sit in the back next to either the RF (both FF's in captains seats) or one of the FFs (with the RF in the 2nd row).

The TA is offset to the middle, drivers side.

The problem is that Chrysler has put a 65 pound total limit (seat plus kid) on their lower anchors. OP has kids who are 33 and 34 pounds, and seats that aren't light. I'd need to go look up with a ProSport and Frontier weigh, but it's likely OP won't be able to use her lower anchors in the 3rd row for much longer. The existing TA is for use with either the lower anchors or the *middle* seatbelt. OP won't be able to get a ProSport or Frontier in the middle with a MyRide next to it. Nor will a ProSport a d Frontier work side by side (which would still leave one seat untethered). Very shortly her 3rd row will become seating for one (so to speak) if she wants to tether, unless of course she goes Radian middle (seatbelt and tether), and is able to squeak in something rf beside it.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'd honestly put gramma and baby in the back, and the 2 FFing seats in the captains chairs. Gramma can help baby get in seat. Or, actually, I would likely ride back there while gramma was in the front passenger seat(if DH were driving) or he'd sti back there if I were driving. It's the simplest solution to keep everyone as safe as possible, and the only reason NOT to do it is " because it's not fun/convenient for an adult to ride in the 3rd row" and that is just NOT a compelling reason, IMO. That guy you see in the 3rd row of my van in my sig is 6 feet tall, and he rides back there just fine.

mom of six

gigi

o_O

YES, THIS!! :)

Yesterday I asked my almost two year old if she could climb into her (very high) crib. She said "ya" and hoisted herself up, and did three full pull ups on the way in just for fun.

canadiangie

You can add more tethers anchors to the Dodge Grand Caravan:dance:.

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1659659&postcount=13

Or PM Jourdysmom. She and several others on this forum have done it. The parts are about the same as purchasing a new car seat but it gives you a lot more flexability.

Per Chrysler you cannot add any TA's to vans made after 07. This info was released about a year ago. It has to do with Stow n Go seating which is in all 3rd row GC's and clones after 07 (new body style in 08).

Phineasmama

OP I have a 2010 GC and I did it anyways. You just have to make sure that you put the thing on there the right way so that the seats still stow when it's on. I added two to my 3rd row so now I have 3 total back there.

whiteyacht

You can add more tethers anchors to the Dodge Grand Caravan:dance:.

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1659659&postcount=13

Or PM Jourdysmom. She and several others on this forum have done it. The parts are about the same as purchasing a new car seat but it gives you a lot more flexability.

Is there anything like this for a Ford?? My Freestar would be so much better with more tether locations.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.

My 2 year old is very physically delayed and has super low muscle tone, and a whole host of other issues from his birth mom's drug use and neglect during his first nine months of life. Quite frankly, it is a miracle he can even climb out of the seat. He can't turn around while walking without falling over.
My hubby is 6'6" and 260 lbs- there is no way he could fit in the 3rd row. My mother is not young, and would likely hurt herself trying to get back there.
I could sit back there, but I'd rather get a new car.
Ugh. I wish I'd been thinking about top tether anchors when I bought this car.

Baylor

My 2 year old is very physically delayed and has super low muscle tone, and a whole host of other issues from his birth mom's drug use and neglect during his first nine months of life. Quite frankly, it is a miracle he can even climb out of the seat. He can't turn around while walking without falling over.
My hubby is 6'6" and 260 lbs- there is no way he could fit in the 3rd row. My mother is not young, and would likely hurt herself trying to get back there.
I could sit back there, but I'd rather get a new car.
Ugh. I wish I'd been thinking about top tether anchors when I bought this car.

Why not a different seat that he can climb into easier. A Radian? It will take up less room. There are no sides to deal with.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC