Advanced Air Bags

Ellie173

Hi!

Does anyone know what weight is required to turn the passenger airbag on in the front seat? I can't turn on the advanced airbag in my brothers car :( If the airbag won't turn on what would you do in that situation?

Thanks!

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Do you mean that the light saying it's off always stays on -- meaning the sensor is always switching it off? Is there an adult in that seat?

What vehicle is it? I think the cut-off is somewhere around 70lbs but that might vary.

It's also possible there's something wrong with the sensor and you'd need to have that checked out.

Ellie173

Yeah, the light says airbag off. It is a Mazda 5 rental (he is only in town for a little while). I am a smaller adult. I was quite surprised especially since we were on very narrow mountain roads and I would've appreciated knowing there would be an airbag if anything happened. My niece rode up front (14yo) and she is only a couple pounds heavier than I am and it turned on just fine for her :confused:

I have found that in most vehicles it depends on how I am sitting (ie in my father's truck I can't cross my legs or the airbag sensor will say off), but no matter what I have done the airbag refuses to turn on for me in the Mazda 5.

Jackie010307

Our oldest is 12 and has to sit in the front of our 09 Mercury Milan due to head support in the rear not being enough. He is 90lbs fully clothed and the air bag off light is on when he is in the seat. Just a note, he very rarely rides in this car, he is mostly in the middle row of an 06 Odyssey.

creideamh

My cousin is 12, about 80lbs, and my airbag light consistently stays off for her (it actually helped me make the point that she should be in the backseat of their older cars when possible, lol.) It only just started staying on for her almost 15 y/o brother in the past 6 months or so.
Toyota Prius :D

Ellie173

If the light doesn't turn on would you opt to ride in the back? It shouldn't be a problem much longer since they are leaving soon but it really bothers me that I am around 105lbs and it won't work for me.

I have a 2006, pre-advanced airbag car so it's not a problem in my car, but it really annoys me that there are so many safety features in vehicles but to take full advantage of them you have to be an average adult. I really wish newer vehicles with such great safety features could narrow the gap between the safety advantage average people get compared to the below average. I know I am on the extreme low end for height too but it wouldn't hurt to give just a few more adjustments to make it very safe for all of us because if my airbag deployed in the driver seat it would probably be pretty devastating for me since I have to sit relatively close to it and my head is much lower down than most peoples.

skylinphoto

I have an 08 mazda 3 and I have to sit a certain way (not a dangerous way thankfully!) to keep the airbag on. Im 115lbs.

I manage to keep the airbag turned on 99% of the time by sitting back and making sure my thighs are in contact with the seat (not above ..like when resting feet flat on the floor..make sense?)..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC