8 passenger suburban- easy to access the third row.?

soph's mom

We are looking into a suburban as an extra family vehicle, specifically in the years 2000-2006... Anyone have one and know how easy it is to access the third row? Specifically if there are carseats in the second?

Is it just a bench seat vs two captains chairs?

Thanks!

ADS

MoreLatte

We have a 2005 8 passenger. The passenger side seat in the middle row will either slide forward or you can tumble the seat and fold down the back. Or my little ones are monkeys and just climb over the seats sometimes, lol.

LATCH is only located on that passenger seat(which I'lll never understand) and middle seat in the second row. We have our 2.5 year old in the center of the second row in a BLVD 70 or MA70 and the other seat moves fine for access to the third row. I can get just about any combo of seats 3-across in the second row, it's awesome. And each seat has a tether anchor. Third row just has one anchor, I think usable for middle or drivers side.

creideamh

:yeahthat:
My cousins are monkeys too and just pile in (2001 8 passenger.) The youngest's Maestro is usually in the middle row center, second youngest's AMP middle driver's side, and they just flip the middle passenger seat down to access the 3rd row. There are TTs on all 3 middle seats and 1 in the middle 3rd row. Each middle seat has a lap-only belt and no headrest, though.

soph's mom

We have a 2005 8 passenger. The passenger side seat in the middle row will either slide forward or you can tumble the seat and fold down the back. Or my little ones are monkeys and just climb over the seats sometimes, lol.

LATCH is only located on that passenger seat(which I'lll never understand) and middle seat in the second row. We have our 2.5 year old in the center of the second row in a BLVD 70 or MA70 and the other seat moves fine for access to the third row. I can get just about any combo of seats 3-across in the second row, it's awesome. And each seat has a tether anchor. Third row just has one anchor, I think usable for middle or drivers side.

Thanks for the detailed answer! That does seem backwards about the latch but I don't mind seat belt installs. Glad there are tether anchors in 4 places... Wish manufacturers would've gotten over themselves sooner and put them in all rear passenger seating locations.

We will probably be purchasing the later years in that time frame 04-06 so your response is great. Knowing that the second row is seat friendly is awesome! Do you like the vehicle overall? We don't know anyone with one but have heard they're very reliable, good vehicles....

soph's mom

:yeahthat:
My cousins are monkeys too and just pile in (2001 8 passenger.) The youngest's Maestro is usually in the middle row center, second youngest's AMP middle driver's side, and they just flip the middle passenger seat down to access the 3rd row. There are TTs on all 3 middle seats and 1 in the middle 3rd row. Each middle seat has a lap-only belt and no headrest, though.

Thanks! I'll just have to make sure harnessed seats are in the middle seats... Sounds doable! I like the ease of access with the captains chairs but I really like the extra option of that extra seat!

S

SoCalCarSeatMama

I used to own a 9 passenger 2005 Suburban. Access to the third row was super easy for me and the kids. Here is a pic I have (it's almost 2 years old, don't mind the mats...before I knew better). I did have one harnessed child untethered in the third row as there is only one tether back there. I do miss the room in it but I don't miss the gas mileage I got! Overall it's a great kid/stuff hauler!

image-3285780933.jpg

zactayaus

Next month will be my 10 year anniversary with my 2000 Suburban. I :love: it with all my heart. The second row is the most car seat friendly set up you will ever find. I can easily get 3 across with any combo of car seats no matter how big. 3rd row can be a bit of a challenge though but with the right combo of seats it's doable.

soph's mom

Thanks everyone! Y'all are awesome! I wasn't sure how many people would have this vehicle because of the gas mileage. We travel about 4 hours each way with pets generally about once a month and have outgrown our Volvo wagon (maintenance wise it's definitely time to upgrade anyway) and I need more room for my babysitting kiddos anyway...

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
The one thing I HATED is the ubber long buckle stalks. Can be a real PITA when it comes to installing seats. My DD inherited our 2000 Sub and I still cuss it every time she has me mess with her seats.

I replaced the Sub with a Traverse...and as soon as I can afford to, I will be replacing the Traverse with another Sub. I miss it that much. Except the buckle stalks. Hope the newer ones are better. ;)

MoreLatte

We will probably be purchasing the later years in that time frame 04-06 so your response is great. Knowing that the second row is seat friendly is awesome! Do you like the vehicle overall? We don't know anyone with one but have heard they're very reliable, good vehicles....

We love it! This is our second one. We had a 7 passenger for 5 years and I prefer the extra seating of the 8-passenger, especially since the third row middle seat has no lap belt or head rest- it basically is a car seat- only seat for us so I usually empty. I love the cargo space. I've hauled a Christmas tree in the back with the seats folded down! Lol. It has been very reliable too!

Edited to add:
My middle seat in the second row does have a lap/shoulder belt and somewhat higher seat back but no headrest.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC