3 year old in car seat on airplane

U

Unregistered

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I have searched and didn't find anything close enough to my situation.

We are flying for the first time with my daughter in Sept (she will be 3 at the time, turns 3 in June). I would really like to keep her in a carseat on the plane. I know she will be more comfortable and since she knows she has to stay strapped in her carseat I am hoping it will cut down on wiggling, wanting to get up, etc, and also I know it's much safer when you encounter turbulence, etc. And I'm thinking she will sleep in it also (only a 3 hour flight, but early morning going there and late coming home).

My problem is finding a seat that is narrow enough for a plane that she will fit into. Most of the information I can find is on younger babies. I would prefer not to buy a seat to only use once (but will if I have to). She is around 32 pounds and 37 inches tall. She is also about to outgrow her carseat in my mom's car (height wise) so I would love to find one I can use for the plane and then she can use to replace the one in my mom's car.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much for the help, I am completely overwhelmed with what to do!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there!

You're absolutely right in all regards. The FAA also recommends a harness until 40 pounds, which is generally when the lap belt starts to fit.

What seat is she in in your car? Likely it's FAA approved.

Otherwise for a plane/grandma seat I'd look at the Evenflo Maestro first. It harnesses to 50 pounds and 18" top slot height and costs as low as $55. http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.co...-Seats/Maestro-Car-Seat-Culver-380591733.aspx It's lightweight and narrow and easy to install. I'd also plan on wheels for it. Either a Traveling Toddler if you don't check luggage [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Toddler-Seat-Travel-Accessory/dp/B000JHN3AS, or a folding luggage cart if you do. http://www.amazon.com/ETA-Stow-Go-Luggage-Cart/dp/B002NDIOE6/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1369731577&sr=1-3&keywords=folding+luggage+cart"]404 Looking for Something?[/ame]

Wendy

M

milano14

I have also been looking for a carseat to just use for air travel (we currently have 2 Boulevards) and found the Maestro.
Wendy - the Burlington Baby Depot link that you posted - is there any difference between that one and ones for sale on other sites (like BRU)? I looked at the Evenflo website and that particular one, the Culver, isn't listed on their website. I was unable to find any differences though, so wondering if you knew if there were any!

Is this the only one that you would recommend?
My son will be 3 next month, 32lbs and 38". We travel several times a year, so looking for something that will last awhile.

Thanks!

chocovore

We have used our Maestro on the plane and it's a great travel seat for kids that age. Relatively lightweight and easy to install. It's actually still my 5.5 year old's primary seat (for the time being, at least -- he is within a couple pounds of the harness weight limit).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wendy - the Burlington Baby Depot link that you posted - is there any difference between that one and ones for sale on other sites (like BRU)? I looked at the Evenflo website and that particular one, the Culver, isn't listed on their website. I was unable to find any differences though, so wondering if you knew if there were any!

Very likely it's an older cover, which is why it's not on Evenflo's site (they have current seats only) and why it's on sale so much. Normally a Maestro is in the $80 range.

Is this the only one that you would recommend?
My son will be 3 next month, 32lbs and 38". We travel several times a year, so looking for something that will last awhile.

Thanks!

There are several options. They all have about the same top slot height, so they'll last about the same time. Given that your child isn't heavy at all the lighter weight limits may work for you.

The Evenflo Chase is 40 pounds harnessed, the Maestro is 50 pounds, and the Harmony Defender is 65 pounds. They all turn into boosters, but the Chase and Maestro will be short lived boosters. The Defender is a high back, then backless. They range from $50-$100.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC