New Safety 1st Air Protect +

Rebekah

My sister and I just spent about 2 hours in Target comparing convertible car seats for her daughter, and this one was the winner. It is basically covered top-to-bottom in EPS foam, is cushy, easy to use, and the headrest fully extended was the about the same height as the Headwise 70. The biggest cons were that it has standard latch connectors, and only a 40 in. limit for rf. Otherwise, it seemed like a great seat.

Has anyone had the chance to check this one out? If so, what were your thoughts on it? Pros? Cons?

ADS

Rebekah

Re: New Safety 1st Advance 70 Air +

I know that Dorel is not a favored company, but when we compared it to the Graco Headwise 70, this one actually seemed like a much nicer seat. The Headwise only had the foam in the head wings. The Advance Air had it literally everywhere except the head wings which is where they have the air bag things. Assuming that the Air Protect works as well as EPS, it would have more full-body SIP than the Headwise. The cover was also much more cushy if comfort is a deciding factor for someone.

It is brand new, which can be a unnerving, but I really don't know of any real complaints other than that it is made by Dorel.

tiggercat

How much space does it take up rear facing?
At the approved angle(s) of course.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I love this seat, on the floor, it's nicer than anything else in it's price range, I think. Can't wait to see it installed in a car, the recline and leg room are so so awesome.

cpsaddict

The Headwise will still rear face longer because the Air Protect + has a 40" limit. Otherwise, I loved the Air Protect.

Reactions: Kac

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My really super tall 3 year old was 40 inches, it might be nicer to have several years of use of a carseat with mega legroom than it would be to fight with a Graco harness just because it can theoretically last a kid RF taller (but the headwise appears to have no way to manage rebound, they don't even have a modified CDN version yet.....).

montanamama

I picked one up this weekend as well. Install great in the third row of my 2001 MTV. I'll snap a few pictures after I get done running kids to school!

montanamama

Okay so hopefully this works I've never tried posting pictures with the app before.

This is an reclined position two, with the second level line parallel to the ground. Right about 32in from seat back to back of car seat.

ForumRunner_20130528_085322.png

Leg room

ForumRunner_20130528_085756.png

W is two and a half, 31 pounds, 35 inches tall, with a torso height of 13 inches and a gigantic head!

ForumRunner_20130528_085400.png

ForumRunner_20130528_085433.png

Last edited:
Okay so hopefully this works I've never tried posting pictures with the app before.

This is an reclined position two, with the second level line parallel to the ground.

Leg room

W is two and a half, 31 pounds, 35 inches tall, with a torso height of 13 inches and a gigantic head!

The seat looks awesome leg room wise.

P.S that is one cute model :)

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What a cutie!

I doubt the seat is three across friendly. It looks huge, but sooo comfy!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The Headwise will still rear face longer because the Air Protect + has a 40" limit. Otherwise, I loved the Air Protect.

I know this goes without saying for many of us, but I want to clarify that this really depends on your kid.

I have a sturdy-built muscular child (not chubby AT ALL) and she's going to hit the 40 lb limit on both seats at the same time as when she hits 40" anyway. She's been consistently measuring pretty even as far as height/weight (currently 38 lbs with clothes and shoes on, and 38" tall standing height). So for kids like mine, the 40" height limit is a total non-issue, at least until/unless Dorel starts upping their RF weight limits.

I haven't seen the new Air Protect seat, but I suspect I'm going to like it better than the Graco which really just doesn't do much for me. I don't intend to get either one; I'm not buying any more 40# RF seats for my 38# 1-year-old, no matter how cool they are.

essnce629

I compared this seat to the Nextfit and the Headwise in the store last week too. I really like the solidness of the Nextfit, but the Air Protect definitely has a ton more legroom and higher harness heights as well. And the Headwise seemed so bare bones, in the padding department (especially in the back and butt area) compared to the Air Protect. The Air Protect seemed like a really great seat and doesn't seem as flimsy as the Headwise. I don't think the 40" RF'ing limit would affect most kids. DS2 just turned 4 last week and is the tallest kid in his class at 41" tall.

Rebekah

I doubt the seat is three across friendly. It looks huge, but sooo comfy!

Definitely not 3-across friendly. It measured at about 21 inches wide, so just barely less than the MyRide65. I don't know how it would do at puzzling with FF seats. The base is pretty slim and it does sit up pretty high, so that may work, but I don't have a FFer to find out.

I compared this seat to the Nextfit and the Headwise in the store last week too. I really like the solidness of the Nextfit, but the Air Protect definitely has a ton more legroom and higher harness heights as well. And the Headwise seemed so bare bones, in the padding department (especially in the back and butt area) compared to the Air Protect. The Air Protect seemed like a really great seat and doesn't seem as flimsy as the Headwise. I don't think the 40" RF'ing limit would affect most kids. DS2 just turned 4 last week and is the tallest kid in his class at 41" tall.

Exactly our same thoughts. We love the Nextfit, but the price put it out of consideration since my sister wants to ideally have two seats. I thought the Headwise was going to be the winner until we went in and started peeling back the covers and really comparing all of the features. The higher RF height limit of the Headwise wasn't a big issue because my sister only plans to RF my niece to 2yo. Either seat will do that with little problem, and the Advance 70 Air + (the actual name of the seat...whoops, I got it a little confused when I started the thread) won in the comfort and SIP categories.

christineka

I found the harness short when I stuck my 45 pound 8 year old in the seat. I thought the crotch strap was short with not far out enough options for big kids. Other than that and the standard latch connectors, it seemed like a real nice seat. I would like to know the measurement of the lowest harness position with the insert. It seemed pretty low to me.

cpsaddict

My really super tall 3 year old was 40 inches, it might be nicer to have several years of use of a carseat with mega legroom than it would be to fight with a Graco harness just because it can theoretically last a kid RF taller (but the headwise appears to have no way to manage rebound, they don't even have a modified CDN version yet.....).

Oh, I would absolutely take this new Dorel seat over the Headwise. I was just pointing out that, technically, the Headwise would last longer. My daughter was 41" at 3yrs. She was also 40lbs. She outgrew her Britaxes at 2.5, by height and weight(we had a 70 and a classic, one by height and one by weight). My little guy is tiny and would be very comfy in this new S1 seat.

I know this goes without saying for many of us, but I want to clarify that this really depends on your kid.

I have a sturdy-built muscular child (not chubby AT ALL) and she's going to hit the 40 lb limit on both seats at the same time as when she hits 40" anyway. She's been consistently measuring pretty even as far as height/weight (currently 38 lbs with clothes and shoes on, and 38" tall standing height). So for kids like mine, the 40" height limit is a total non-issue, at least until/unless Dorel starts upping their RF weight limits.

I haven't seen the new Air Protect seat, but I suspect I'm going to like it better than the Graco which really just doesn't do much for me. I don't intend to get either one; I'm not buying any more 40# RF seats for my 38# 1-year-old, no matter how cool they are.

Yup, I have a giant child, too. She hit 40" at 2y9m and 40lbs at 2y6m. Sooo glad my little guy is a shrimp! :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC