Easy to Install Travel Seat

ngs215

We are going to be traveling this summer with 15 month old DS. He is currently RF in a MR65, but we don't want to lug that around. So we are looking for something to install on the plane and in a rental car. I don't know what model the plane is but it is 2 on each side of the plane, so a smaller plane, on all legs. And have no idea what the rental will be yet.

I know the Scenera is generally recommended, and I love the price, but I have seen lots of discussion about it being hard to install. I don't want to have to carry around a pool noodle. Neither DH nor I are very good at installing car seats. We never got his Snugride base installed correctly ourselves. I did get very good at a baseless install for the SR. DH installed the MR easily in his car, but we struggled for hours trying to get it installed in my car.

Is the Scenera really not that bad? Or should we look at something else? The Sureride, maybe? I have seen that recommended too, but I haven't seen anyone successfully install on a plane. And I worry about it fitting in the rental car since it's got such a tall height limit.
DS is currently 14 months, 22 lb, and wears 9 mo onesies.

Thanks for your help.

ADS

bluebug83

We are going to be traveling this summer with 15 month old DS. He is currently RF in a MR65, but we don't want to lug that around. So we are looking for something to install on the plane and in a rental car. I don't know what model the plane is but it is 2 on each side of the plane, so a smaller plane, on all legs. And have no idea what the rental will be yet.

I know the Scenera is generally recommended, and I love the price, but I have seen lots of discussion about it being hard to install. I don't want to have to carry around a pool noodle. Neither DH nor I are very good at installing car seats. We never got his Snugride base installed correctly ourselves. I did get very good at a baseless install for the SR. DH installed the MR easily in his car, but we struggled for hours trying to get it installed in my car.

Is the Scenera really not that bad? Or should we look at something else? The Sureride, maybe? I have seen that recommended too, but I haven't seen anyone successfully install on a plane. And I worry about it fitting in the rental car since it's got such a tall height limit.
DS is currently 14 months, 22 lb, and wears 9 mo onesies.

Thanks for your help.

If you see my thread on this forum, we're in almost exactly the same scenario as you, and it sounds like, based on the response so far, that our Roundabout 55 should work. It fits well in the small back seat of our secondary car. I've already done some Google searches and found a lot of others confirming that various models of the RA fit on a variety of airplanes, and I can vouch that it is easy to install in a car. It would be a somewhat expensive purchase for a travel seat (~$150) and is probably a little heavier than ideal, but I also understand not wanting to buy a travel seat that will require pool noodles and might install poorly in a rental car.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=248421

Unfortunately, it appears we're going to be traveling after you (still 4 months away), but if it was earlier, I'd definitely post my experience with the RA on an airplane, especially a commuter jet. If you do get the RA and try it, I'd be interested in hearing your experience.

kaharris83

We traveled with the Sureride in April. My DS1 was forward facing on the plane though because he is almost 3, he rear faces in the car still. Our planes were smaller and it fit well. It was easy to install on the plane and in the rental van we had. It fit nicely on the luggage cart we got from WalMart a few years ago so we wheeled it right through the airport and down the aisle of the plane no problem. I'm not the best at installing seats and had no problem with the Sureride.

ngs215

If you see my thread on this forum, we're in almost exactly the same scenario as you, and it sounds like, based on the response so far, that our Roundabout 55 should work. It fits well in the small back seat of our secondary car. I've already done some Google searches and found a lot of others confirming that various models of the RA fit on a variety of airplanes, and I can vouch that it is easy to install in a car. It would be a somewhat expensive purchase for a travel seat (~$150) and is probably a little heavier than ideal, but I also understand not wanting to buy a travel seat that will require pool noodles and might install poorly in a rental car.

I really wasn't planning on spending $150 on a travel seat since I expect it to be used once a year at best. That's actually more than we paid for any of DS's current seats. And the seat weighs as much as the MR, which we already own.

I will see if I can find a store locally that will let us try installing the Sureride in our car.

Amy7707

Does he still fit in the snugride? If so, could you use that for the trip and just use the baseless install that you're already familiar with?

bluebug83

I really wasn't planning on spending $150 on a travel seat since I expect it to be used once a year at best. That's actually more than we paid for any of DS's current seats. And the seat weighs as much as the MR, which we already own.

I will see if I can find a store locally that will let us try installing the Sureride in our car.

Yes, and the size/weight/cost definitely a consideration for many people for travel seats. I do realize ours is a nontraditional travel option, but since we already have it I'm hoping it will work. Hoping you find something that works well for you.

It also looks like BRU has the SureRide in stores, and ours will let you try out car seats. They let us test out an infant seat when I was pregnant, and let us try out a couple of convertibles when we upgraded this last spring.

Last edited:

ngs215

Does he still fit in the snugride? If so, could you use that for the trip and just use the baseless install that you're already familiar with?

We tried him in the SR about a week ago. He technically fit, but had l less than .5 inch to grow, and the return trip was still 6 weeks away, and we didn't trust him not to have a growth spurt. Sure enough, he just outgrew his onesies and PJ's this week. So we might try him again. If he still fits, then we might risk it. He shouldn't have a 2nd growth spurt, right?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC