Three across a Toyota Echo

J

jennifer47

Hi there!

I'm expecting baby 3 this January, and am starting to research my options. I have a Toyota Echo - at first I assumed we'd need a new vehicle, but looking at fuel mileage for vans compared to my 2001 Echo made me reconsider!!

I currently have a 4 year old 35 pound boy who is forward facing in a True Fit, behind the driver's seat. My daughter is 16 months, about 20 pounds, and rear facing in a True Fit behind the passenger seat. The passenger seat is way forward - not a comfy ride, but that's ok! Ideally my daughter will stay rear facing when the new baby comes.

Anybody know what my options are? My husband measured - the backseat is 128 cm across. The Diono website says you need 124 cm to fit 3 radians - so is that what I'm looking at? I'm concerned since they are tall - would I fit two rear facing with enough room to drive? Anyway to make things work using one or two of my True Fits that I already have? Also, I'm in Canada, which I guess will make a difference in what car seats are available!

Thanks!

ADS

SavsMom

Hi there!

I'm expecting baby 3 this January, and am starting to research my options. I have a Toyota Echo - at first I assumed we'd need a new vehicle, but looking at fuel mileage for vans compared to my 2001 Echo made me reconsider!!

I currently have a 4 year old 35 pound boy who is forward facing in a True Fit, behind the driver's seat. My daughter is 16 months, about 20 pounds, and rear facing in a True Fit behind the passenger seat. The passenger seat is way forward - not a comfy ride, but that's ok! Ideally my daughter will stay rear facing when the new baby comes.

Anybody know what my options are? My husband measured - the backseat is 128 cm across. The Diono website says you need 124 cm to fit 3 radians - so is that what I'm looking at? I'm concerned since they are tall - would I fit two rear facing with enough room to drive? Anyway to make things work using one or two of my True Fits that I already have? Also, I'm in Canada, which I guess will make a difference in what car seats are available!

Thanks!

I would say three Radians would be about the only option. The rear seat of the Echo is small.

featherhead

You likely will not be able to use a Radian for your newborn. A Radian at the correct angle for a newborn takes a LOT of room. I would look at an infant seat or smaller convertible for the newborn. I'm not sure if you will be able to use your True Fits, but it is worth a shot. I would start by ordering 1 Radian for either of your children. If you want to use it rear-facing I would recommend getting the Diono angle adjuster to go with it. It makes the Radian sit more upright, which is great for an older baby or toddler, so it takes up less space front-to-back.

Another option could be (if you can fit one True Fit) to put the newborn in the True Fit with the top off, and then both the older kids in Radians.

If not, I would do Radians for the two older kids and a narrow infant seat for the newborn. I have heard the new Graco Click Connect infant seats are quite narrow. The Chicco Keyfit is also fairly narrow.

tam_shops

Radian is on sale at Sears this week, few more days for that coupon code. Check out their return policy before purchasing, even if you grab 3 to play with and only open one.

As for if/what will fit. I doubt the Truefit will fit, but I was always surprised that I ever managed to do a 3 across w/ my old MA, so it never hurts to try.

Only way i see a Radian fitting for a new born, is if your passenger seat is all the way forward and never used. So, not really. Toyota does not allow the child's car seat to touch the Toyota's seat.

As for the 3 seats fitting, best bet will be to have 1-2 RF and the other one forward facing. Got to tell you, I have a tough time fitting 3 across in my Toyota Matrix. I need 1-2 rear facing and the other forward facing. 3 won't fit forward. It's not just about the hip space, the radians are more wide as they go upwards.

Isn't this the most narrow infant bucket? Perhaps it will fit with out the base?

Where are you located? Perhaps there is a tech near you that can help out!

tam

babychild taxi

Hi, I have a 2002 Echo and have driven kids of all ages in it. I did have a 3 across that worked: cosco regal ride (rf), older Parkway, FF radian. Unfortunately when it came time to switch the radian from latch (f you have it) to a seatbelt install, it did not work at all. I had a tech try it too and it was too loose and unstable. I would not use it like that.

I'm sure others will have more input, but I do agree that the TFs are too big for a 3 across, but they are a great seat!

I hope a workable solution can be found.

canadiangie

BabyTrend LatchLoc is the narrowest infant seat. Its also a pain in the butt to install, but if you need one to make a three across work, then that pain in the buttness goes right out the window, IMO. Whatever works..

I would try ff Radian behind driver, rf Radian middle with Angle Adjuster, and BabyTrend behind passenger.

Once the baby is out of the infant seat I am guessing you would need another Radian, again, with Angle Adjuster.

Sears takes returns last time I checked. A friend of mine ordered two sale Radians knowing that she can return them if needed. FYI they are backordered until June 22 when you order them.

Right now I have a loaner Civic from Honda while my beast of an SUV is in the shop. I'm rocking three Radians across the back with zero room to spare, but it IS totally doable, and holy moses I cannot believe the difference in fuel consumption. I can totally see why you'd want to keep your Toyota Echo. :)

Last month, in a 2003 Echo, I did:
ff Radian (seatbelt install, 2 complete twists of the female stalk), rf Radian (with angle ajuster; I havn't tried without it, seatbelt install, 3 complete twists of the female stalk), rf Myride (seatbelt install)

Really, I had EXTRA space... It was easy. The Myride puzzles REALLY well with the radian in the same direction. You could use them ff too.

With this setup, the driver and passenger seats were allowed to be ALL the way back. I'm 5'9 and I had too much space :)

The only problem is that the new Myride don't have a great insert for newborns (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC