How to become a tech????

jewels2b

I couldnt find this info on any other board to im posting here.

My youngest is about to start preschool and I might have more time on my hands. I have always had a passion for all this car seat stuff and want to finally give back. What does it take to become a tech? I know there is a course you have to take. Is it expensive? There are so many moms in my community who would love to have someone to go to other than the police dept. to get their car seats checked. I really really want to give back and become a part of this community.

Thanks,
Julie

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know how much the course would cost by you. There's a $75 course fee that's nationwide. But then there may be local fees that are added on. That's what I don't know for you.

You go to http://cert.safekids.org and register, then search for a course near you.

Wendy

jewels2b

I looked and it says $25 local fee... So maybe only $100? For some reason I thought it was like $900 or something. I think a tech that helped me install my first dd's seat about 6 years ago told me that. I can totally swing even a couple hundred.
Thanks

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That depends a lot on the instructors. If they're coming from out of town to teach and staying in a hotel and they need to pay for it, they may pass the cost on. Same with cost for gas, food, paper, lunch for everyone, etc. It probably depends a lot on behind the scenes funding locally.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I looked and it says $25 local fee... So maybe only $100? For some reason I thought it was like $900 or something. I think a tech that helped me install my first dd's seat about 6 years ago told me that. I can totally swing even a couple hundred.
Thanks

I see you're in LA. There is an organization there that does charge around $900 for a class. That's in large part because their instructors aren't getting paid for their "real" job while they're teaching, and they also need to secure space to hold the class. Most of the classes with no/few fees are held at a facility owned by the sponsoring agency, and using that agency's employees. The benefit of the expensive class is that it includes some of the best instructors in the nation. (Not that others can't also have great instructors.)

HaileysMommy

My instructors were doing a class for nurses at the local hospital. I only pair the $75 and I'm assuming the hospital picked up the rest of the tab. See if you can get in somewhere like that.

jewels2b

Ok, thanks everyone. I will keep looking into it. I see most if the classes are a week long and start at 8 am so I first have to figure out child care. Dh leaves for work at 6am.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC