Which seat would you prefer for FF?

Mel281

I am switching my daughter to FF this weekend to make life easier before our newbie arrives in 1-2 weeks (she can help him/see him better, easier in and out, etc). She is 3.5 years, 28ish pounds and 37" tall.

I have two seat options and it will be going outboard middle row in a 2006 Sienna:
1)Radian XTSL (Sunshine Kids version)
2) EFTA

Is there one that would be preferable? The shallow side walls of the RN makes me a little apprehensive, but I like that it has the "slow stop" device thing for kids under 40 pounds

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Neither seat is safer than the other. Any FFing seat with harness that is properly installed is safe. Some seats have features that *may* make them safer (like deep side walls, steel, headwings, Dorel's Air Protect or Britax's SafeCell, etc) - but there's no testing, so we don't really know.

As I'm sure you know, "safest" would be for her to remain rear-facing. At 3.5, If you feel the best decision for your family is to turn her forward, that is not an UNsafe choice, just not "safest." Just make sure you have a proper install - use FF belt path, <1" movement at the belt path, harness at/above her shoulders. Use the top tether, and if you opt for the Radian, make sure you use the SafeStop. :)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Like Carrie said, if your main concern is truly safety, you wouldn't turn her FFing. You've already stated that your main concern is perceived convenience. Which, hey, is fine, at 3.5, FFing is not an unsafe choice. But it's disingenuous to say your top concern is safety, and to then say which of these 2 less safe options is better? In that scenario, there is no statistical safety difference between properly installed FFing seats. I would choose whichever one she likes better and says is more comfortable. A happy 3 year is always better than a grumpy one :)

agave

I would let her pick. My 3.5 yr old will be moving from a RF XTSL to a Frontier 85 next week. She's been asking to turn for almost 6 months. I told her She can FF when her sister turns 5.

bnsnyde

I moved our 3.5-year-old FF in his Radian recently right before baby #5 was born. I changed a bunch of seats and our set-up.
I like this seat FF. He's 42 lbs. and 43 inches. Not much room to grow at all due to a long torso.

I like the headwings on his seat, too.

skylinphoto

Radian for sure if youre turning for convenience. Easy in and out for the kiddo.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

Mel281

Like Carrie said, if your main concern is truly safety, you wouldn't turn her FFing. You've already stated that your main concern is perceived convenience. Which, hey, is fine, at 3.5, FFing is not an unsafe choice. But it's disingenuous to say your top concern is safety, and to then say which of these 2 less safe options is better? In that scenario, there is no statistical safety difference between properly installed FFing seats. I would choose whichever one she likes better and says is more comfortable. A happy 3 year is always better than a grumpy one :)

It is not disingenuous and I apologize if I misrepresented what I meant. My main concern between the two seats is safety. I realize that when the seat is used properly, they are supposed to be equally safe, but each seat has features that allow, in theory, safety advantages and disadvantages. My question was in respect to which feature seems like the bigger safety advantage: The deep shell of the EFTA or the Safe Stop of the RN. I wanted to clarify that my question was not in respect to comfort, installation ease (assuming both would install properly), buckling mechanisms, head slouch, etc.

I know that she could probably go another 6 months rearfacing, but adding a baby to the mix, I know things are going to be crazy for a while. Having her be able to help with the baby instead of me being distracted while driving seems like a reasonable position to me. I know from experience I have a hard time tuning out a crying baby. I get anxious, agitated and want to stop it. That plus sleep deprivation could be a bad combo.

I know FF is less safe, but there is no reason that I can't try to make the best choice between the two seats with respect to safety. In fact, it's all the more reason to choose the best seat, if there could be one, IMO.

Kel

H! My son just turned 3. For lots a reasons I'm having to buy him a new seat. I decided on the Rxt. He'll be RFing until he out grows it. But I bought it knowing I'd want to use it FFing later. Most the woman here report that they like it FFing.

I've owned RNs before, and have like them. Never used them FFing though. I actually like seats up on a base, to help see out the Windows. But I'm thinking kids will get more leg room with the RN FFing. My son fit great when I tried him in our pria FF, but his legs kind were close to the seat in front.

Anyway, I think for leg room etc I'd go with the RN. Mine will be here today, and if it's not storming to bad, I'm going to try it both ways!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I just flipped DD back FF...she will be 4 in August. Initially, she went into the XTSL, but I needed to change seats to get a 3 across and the XTSL didn't play well with the booster, so I got a RA50. DD was in HEAVEN the first time she climbed in. She loved being able to see. She does not like the low-profile of the XTSL. She still prefers the RA50. :)

thepote

I personally would not use a Radian outboard, and especially not for forward facing. There are no standards for side impacts, so that means I have to use what I know. I know that logically higher sides protect better, and I know that higher sides appeared to make a huge difference in those infamous side impact videos on YouTube.

Since side impacts are more deadly for kids, I'd rather protect them from that as best I can.

VoodooChile

I have an RXT for ds (ff), and he uses an EFTA (ff) in my mom's car. He can climb in and out of both himself, but finds the RXT easier, because of the lower profile.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC