So I'm under a rock. Graco infant seat handle in any position?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So all that energy I wasted trying to imagine why position B or whatever wasn't safe, was a waste of energy?

http://www.gracobaby.com/CustomerService/Pages/FAQ.aspx?page=FAQ

In what position am I required to have my infant car seat handle?

To make usage requirements simpler for caregivers, Graco is updating their in car handle usage requirements for all rear facing only CRs. Graco now allows the use of the handle in any locked position on Graco Infant SafeSeat, SnugRide Classic Connect 22, SnugRide Classic Connect 30, SnugRide Classic Connect 32, SnugRide Classic Connect 35 and the new SnugRide Click Connect 35 and SnugRide Click Connect 40. This change does not apply in Canada, where the handle must always be used locked in the upright position.

ADS

katymyers

So all that energy I wasted trying to imagine why position B or whatever wasn't safe, was a waste of energy?

http://www.gracobaby.com/CustomerService/Pages/FAQ.aspx?page=FAQ

In what position am I required to have my infant car seat handle?

To make usage requirements simpler for caregivers, Graco is updating their in car handle usage requirements for all rear facing only CRs. Graco now allows the use of the handle in any locked position on Graco Infant SafeSeat, SnugRide Classic Connect 22, SnugRide Classic Connect 30, SnugRide Classic Connect 32, SnugRide Classic Connect 35 and the new SnugRide Click Connect 35 and SnugRide Click Connect 40. This change does not apply in Canada, where the handle must always be used locked in the upright position.

If it makes you feel better I've been wasting time trying to figure out what could possibly be unsafe about that position too. It's been bugging me for four years now since I bought my Snugride 32 before Levi was born.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Note for Canadian readers:

The above retroactively applies to seats with model numbers that do not begin with an '18' (i.e. non-compliant models).

Seats that have a model number beginning with an '18' and therefore compliant to 2012 crash test standards must have the handle in the upright carry position for travel in the vehicle.

Last edited:

Irishmama

What about older seats? Am I remembering right that it must be either in the upright carrying position or all the way down?

mom of six

Makes you wonder why they even had the rule in the first place.

When my oldest were in the old SR20's during the middle of the HANDLE ALWAYS DOWN days there were a couple of times when I forgot to put the handle down and had all kinds of mommy guilt. Then to find out it was all for naught.:eek:

I wonder how many of the other rules we faithfully follow and preach are really insignificant?:duck:

Note for Canadian readers:

The above retroactively applies to seats with model numbers that do not begin with an '18' (i.e. non-compliant models).

Seats that have a model number beginning with an '18' and therefore compliant to 2012 crash test standards must have the handle in the upright carry position for travel in the vehicle.

For reference, there is now a sticker on the left side of the carry handle that shows the 'A', 'B' and 'C' positions of the handle. Position 'A' being the upright carry position, and the only allowable position for in-vehicle use.

Last edited:

crunchierthanthou

Yes! I'm still giddy about it. The handle position used to cause me all sorts of social stress. Seriously. I'd have to deliberate whether it was worth mentioning every time I saw someone's handle in the the prohibited positions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC