SIP in MA vs. BV Foward Facing...

arly1983

Lately I have been watching alot of crash tests. I have been trying to decide between a Como and a BV for DD...

I found a picture of Jackson in a BV. He was sitting the way he normally sits in the MA and BV and his head was completely out of the wings. If we were to be in a side impact at the specific second, I doubt they would have done him little, if any, good. I would hazard a guess that the MA would preform just as good as a BV in a side impact with the child's head out of the wings (for us is about 90% of the time)

Also including a pic of him in the Como and he always sits like this in the Como because of how the seat is reclined, it is most comfortable with his head resting on the back of the seat. So maybe a Como/Signo would be better in terms of SIP.( I know that this would all be largely conjecture:rolleyes:)

Anyway, I was wondering if any of the techs (or others) had thoughts on this.

Picture420.jpg

Picture403.jpg

ADS

LuvBug

what is the distance between the como's sidewalls and the BV's headwings?
is the captains chair located directly beside the door? where the seat is almost touching it?

they look like they might be the same distance apart and if he isnt directly next to something he could hit his head on I wouldnt worry so much about if it was added wings or just deep walls,

It also looks like the como might be more comfortable on his legs since they are bending right at the edge.

I also think that vans are more protected in side impacts, firstly because they put you up higher than a car, the secondly because the seats arent usually *right* next to the door/window. In my corolla if you sit outboard your shoulder will touch the door and it sits low... so not good for a side impact.

arly1983

what is the distance between the como's sidewalls and the BV's headwings?
is the captains chair located directly beside the door? where the seat is almost touching it?.

Como: 11.5 ins just *inside* sidewalls
BV: 10 ins just *inside* wings

The capt's chair is located directly beside the door but a good 6 ins away.

steph

His head does look more contained in the como but I don't know if I would want that seat for rear facing. If it's that big it may start to be a bother everytime you put DD in the car:twocents:.

Personally I would go with the BV for rear facing. Can you just give her Jackson's BV and get another Como for him?

arly1983

His head does look more contained in the como but I don't know if I would want that seat for rear facing. If it's that big it may start to be a bother everytime you put DD in the car:twocents:.

Personally I would go with the BV for rear facing. Can you just give her Jackson's BV and get another Como for him?

Thats extactly what I am trying to decide...

my problem is that she already has a 12.5 in torso at 13 months old and I am wondering if a como would last her longer.

Top slots wise, I get 18.75 for the Como and 16.75 for the BV..

steph

What about the 34 inch rule (for the como) I keep hearing, as that been figured out?

You can look at Ryan in his BV, his torso is around 13 inches (I can't get an exact measurement right now - he is cooperating!!).

ETA: he does have a little bit of a big head so that will make a difference too!!!

arly1983

We have been using DS's Como RFing just to get a feel for it and so far, I don't hate it (without the headwings) and I actually have a little more leg room for the front passenger.....Gosh, this is such a hard decision.

southpawboston

that's what i'm worried about. i'm test fitting a como and BV tomorrow in my mazda.

southpawboston

We have been using DS's Como RFing just to get a feel for it and so far, I don't hate it (without the headwings) and I actually have a little more leg room for the front passenger.....Gosh, this is such a hard decision.

more leg room compared with a BV in the same place??? hmm... front legroom can be a definite problem in my car with carseats installed.

arly1983

more leg room compared with a BV in the same place??? hmm... front legroom can be a definite problem in my car with carseats installed.

This is a Como and on the under side of it you can see the light grey shell of the marathon. THe shell is flush at where the headrest is "fatest". Because the Como sits higher, the headrest puzzles well with the shell, giving about an inch or so more legroom

Picture406.jpg

Its tiny, but see what I mean about the widest part of the headrest
Picture328.jpg

CPS_obsessed_EMT

Senior Community Member
I know its really hard to tell online, but I just was noticing that it *appears* that the straps are not very tight..
Maybe if you tightened up the straps a little, it will pull him back enough into the seat so that he can't stick his head out?
I know with my daughter, she couldn't stick her head outside the wings like that even if she tried real hard (but I've also had tech friends of mine tell me to loosen up my straps a little before she turns blue :eek: )

Forgive me if you've got 'em really tight, looks can be deceiving.

Also, IIRC, the BLVD can be in the recline mode forward facing for children less than 33lbs (don't know how much he weighs), would that help?

arly1983

I know its really hard to tell online, but I just was noticing that it *appears* that the straps are not very tight..
Maybe if you tightened up the straps a little, it will pull him back enough into the seat so that he can't stick his head out?
I know with my daughter, she couldn't stick her head outside the wings like that even if she tried real hard (but I've also had tech friends of mine tell me to loosen up my straps a little before she turns blue :eek: )

Forgive me if you've got 'em really tight, looks can be deceiving.

Also, IIRC, the BLVD can be in the recline mode forward facing for children less than 33lbs (don't know how much he weighs), would that help?

Thanks for you advise: They are very tight. I, too, have been accused of cutting off airways. He is a big boy with a big head (34 lbs, 40 ins) so no FFing recline for him...That is just how he rides in this seat...no idea why.

CPS_obsessed_EMT

Senior Community Member
sorry, I realized 2 things after I posted:

1. If he were less than 33lbs you'd probably have him rfing
2. He probably has a much bigger head than my DD, since she's younger :doh:

Forgive me about the straps question, its so hard to tell from a picture, and its better to be safe than sorry..
I often catch myself on this board thinking "omg! those straps look so loose!" but then I realize "um, wait, this is a carseat board, of coarse the straps are tight :rolleyes:

arly1983

Melissa, no problem, really, you just mentioned the most obvious solution.

Your LO looks so cute in her BV, by the way, love the face she is making.

arly1983

Ok, BV from the sale got here and it is gorgeous!!!! Park Avenue is now my favorite Britax cover (and much more plush than the Brownstone and Shannoh covers I had before) This is how she looks in the BV and has about 4.75 ins of torso growth. Currantly we are using the Como in my van and....

Gost darn it, I can't decide between the two....

Picture421.jpg

Last edited:

steph

She looks great!! Personally I would keep the BV. I love the Park Avenue, the online pics just don't do it justice.

ZephyrBlue

We had the Park Avenue BV, too, before we sold it to buy the Como. I love that cover!! Are you finding it difficult to get her in/out of the Como RF?

arly1983

We had the Park Avenue BV, too, before we sold it to buy the Como. I love that cover!! Are you finding it difficult to get her in/out of the Como RF?

It takes practice (and no headwings which I am being assured are not required) I can see how it could become very hard with a larger child(no way I could do it with 2.5 yr old DS) or smaller door opening(like some 4-door cars). I just don't know.

This is like one of those decisions that I wish I could see the future. You know, I am going to have to live with this dicision for a looooong time, I don't want to regret it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC