Are there any issues with the headrests on the radian rxt being hard?

Jackie010307

We had a rep in at work the other day and instead of going over the positives of the seats of the company they represented we instead got to hear about how horrible the headrests on the rxt are because there is steel in them. I can't find any info on any injuries due to the headrests, but would like to be able to reassure the people I work with that these aren't dangerous. Of course this was to compare to the headrests on the companies seats that were represented, which we were told were side impact tested but there weren't any numbers to give us. I did ask if I could be provided with the information from their side impact tests, as there are no standards for that, and who designed the tests. I didn't really get any straight answers. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

ADS

creideamh

The part that touches the kids' heads is EPS foam like basically everyone else uses...? It's not like they put steel right there for the head to slam into, lol.

Rebekah

I have an RXT for my daughter, and I have no complaints about the headrest hardness. I don't think that they are any harder than any other headwings except maybe the Complete Air since those are a bag of air and foam.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Is there actually steel in the Radian headwings? I know that it's a steel-framed seat, but I thought the headwings were foam-covered plastic. Huh, now I'll have to go look at mine when I go out to the car in a bit.

HaileysMommy

Pretty sure they are just foam and plastic but I don't have a radian here to look. Unless there is steel behind the foam but I don't think so.

Jackie010307

I haven't taken one apart but the outside portion does feel quite hard. I just feel like the rep was so insistent that some people at work were actually convinced that the seat is horrible for that fact alone. I know it can be difficult to install, but if it works then it can be a great seat and to not recommend it based on this would be a mistake. I'm just hoping to be able to convince the others of that.

Rebekah

I checked our RXT and it does have three steel bars on each side of the headwings, but they are completely covered by EPS foam. I don't think that the bars contribute at all to the hardness (if you think the wings are hard) because the bars are recessed into plastic grooves, then covered by the foam, then the fabric cover adds quite a bit of cushion.

The close-up picture shows the three bars capped off by the plastic end. For reference: the bar furthest to the left of is the top bar from the left wing (as if sitting in the seat.)

The full view shows all six bars and how they are completely covered by foam.

Attachments

• IMG_0162[1].JPG
    IMG_0162[1].JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0163[1].JPG
    IMG_0163[1].JPG
    228 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Mel281

I happened to be reading my manual for my Radian (SKJP) and it says the rods are aluminum, not steel.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Wow, what an awesome rep. Not. :rolleyes: (I expect a good one to know the features of all other seats, but not to dis their own seat, kwim?)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC