Question Anyone have these issues with Orbit Baby G2 Travel System?

C

champagnekisses

I have had my Orbit Baby G2 Infant Car Seat and Stroller Base (haven't used the stroller yet) for 10 months now. I use it multiple times a day as I never carry the infant car seat and always put it on the stroller base, and it has been great. However, I am now having some issues and Orbit Baby is telling me that that isn't how it is supposed to work, even though it has worked like this for me for 10 months and there are videos out there showing the same thing. Can you please let me know if you have had similar experiences? Thanks so much, as I have been dealing with this for a few weeks now.

1. The infant car seat left lever has broken off twice (first time was only after 2 months, and then again about 5 months later). The car seat was replaced next day though, so great service.

2. The twist grip is supposed to be one-handed, this is what was demoed to me and what I have seen in videos; however this has never been the case for me. I need to release the lever BEFORE I can one-hand the twist-grip. I can't just twist-grip it from the open position like I have seen. Is this what you have experienced?

3. The piece of plastic beside the twist grip has broken off and it does not seem like Orbit Baby is planning on replacing this. I feel I have spent a considerable amount of money on this Travel System and to have plastic breaking off 3 times within 10 months, and not providing a replacement in the third instance, I don't accept that. Have others had similar issues?

4. How I saw the broken plastic piece above is that all of a sudden my stroller base did not kick open like it had for the last 10 months. So this whole time, I used to take the stroller base out of my trunk and then I would release the lever and the handles would pop out a bit and the whole stroller base would easily open. A few weeks ago, it stopped doing this so I contacted Orbit Baby and their response is that the stroller is not designed to pop open and that the only reason it did before was the cargo pod was "chubby and now that the cargo pod has fallen into shape it does not interfere with the open/close". Like how ridiculous is that answer? I even sent them a video that demonstrates the functionality that I have been used to for 10 months - Http://youtu.be/8FqytRr-K5I - YouTube (at 2:15, you will see that she is uncollapsing/opening up the stroller base, by undoing the lever and you see how the handles automatically kick out when she undoes this lever, well mine used to do that and it doesn't anymore). Please let me know your experience with the stroller base popping open when you release the lever.

5. I've only recently also had sticking of the infant car seat to the stroller base, where I have not been able to get it it off. I finally got it off after about 20 minutes by yanking it really hard. Has anyone experienced this? Any remedies? Thanks for your help.

ADS
You are probably not going to get much of a response here as I am not sure that anybody owns or is very familiar with this travel system. I think a few people have played with the car seat but that's about it. Generally speaking, it is never recommended because of the unreasonably high price for what it is.

At this point, I would probably sell it on Craigslist or Ebay and buy a different convertible toddler seat (non Orbit) because your frustrations will probably continue.

I do have a friend that had the system and she had come to hate it over the last 15 months. She recently bought a peg Perego Pliko stroller like mine and has never looked back. I'm not saying that's the best stroller, just letting you know that you might be happier with something else. She waited until her son outgrew infant seat and sold it as a system for $650.

jordansmom

I PM'd a member who has some Orbit experience, so hopefully she will pop in here for you! Sorry I can't help otherwise, that sounds very frustrating!

bnsnyde

We have the Orbit toddler seat for my toddler. It was the best $600 investment ever and worth every penny. Yes, we had to buy the base too. The seat saved my back and made RF loading so easy, when pregnant especially. I have had no problems but I am not familiar with the infant seat.

I would have bought the infant seat for new baby but I do best with a carry handle, and the Orbit one looked actually more awkward. I don't know if that's the case. There is a woman at our grocery store who has one. I meant to ask her if she likes it, but we have the Aton II for baby now so I think we're all set.

The travel system looks very nice, at any rate! I hope you don't have anymore problems with it.

CTRS4peds

I have not had any issues like you speak of, we have had MANY orbit products over the past 3.5 years and multiples of some!!

I do think that since orbit has become more mainstream ( selling at target, BRU) that the quality has gone down. I am still holding onto my g1 chassis. I still love my orbit, but its kind of upsetting. I think since the buy out by ERGO, the quality and service has changed.

The first few times I had to call CS over an issue they were super helpful! Our first g1 toddler car seat, the harness got stuck and I couldn't get it tight. Lucky for me I was in my dads driveway, and just took his seat to use. I called orbit from my car explaining my issue and they overnighted a seat to me. I was super impressed. They also replaced my toddler stroller seat, I had a g1 and they sent me a g2, since they had stopped making it. The part that reclines the seat broke, I could have fixed it with a buckle, but I called anyways just to see. Once again I was super impressed.

Fast forward...
When I was putting in my base for Caleb ( current baby) I noticed a plastic part had fallen off. So I called, they said of we will send you a new one, I assumed that meant a new base, nope. They sent my a small plastic part that I could put on the base. mehhhh

The g1 chassis was Sooooooo much easier to get out/break down. They added that lever and its such a pain and extra step. I do not use my cargo pod typically ( I use the panniers) , but I can't recall with either g2, if it "popped" open. I know when I have used the cargo pod, I always took it off before I tried to close it.
I got a helix a few weeks ago, and that is for sure two hands and does not pop open. I have to open it with both hands when I get it out.

I have had my toddler stroller seat become stuck, but I think was just my fault. It took me two times, not 20m to get if off. Are you doing both levers at the same time? Have you checked the hub to make sure nothing it interfering with it? Stuck food , a stick, or anything like that?

Can you post pictures? I may be able to help more? I am also wondering your date of purchase and DOM

I am sorry you have having so many issues. I have had several orbit baby things amongst others, but you seem to keep getting lemons. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC