Hybrids: Camry, Fushion, ?

Lemonade

DH is starting to look at replacing his 10 yr old forester. He is set on a hybrid. And a sedan or similar. Needs to be able to comfortably seats an adult in the back periodically. Camry and Prius are pretty close in price. Seems like Camry would be nicer...am I missing some reason the Prius is better? I know milage isnt quite as good on camry. Anyone have a Fushion? What others should we consider? Thx

ADS

Mingie

CPST Instructor
He could also look at the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

I will let the others comment on hybrids though since I don't know enough to give any advice.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I had a Fusion Hybrid recently. Almost as good of mileage for the week I had it as our Prius in similar conditions. It's also bigger, if you don't mind a modest trunk vs. hatch. Only real quirk was a slight crossover in seatbelts behind the driver with the center seat, but not nearly as bad as Prius.

Prius V, Camry, Fusion, C-Max and Sonata are all going to offer similar mileage and space. The standard Prius is smaller with higher fuel economy. We like our Prius, but if I was buying today, the Fusion might be the frontrunner for me. A Fusion Energi would be da bomb!

cantabdad

In terms of Camry Hybrid vs. Prius -- I don't own either one, but have ridden in each a few times (usually as a taxi passenger, as they are both very common around here). The Camry definitely feels a little nicer and more like a regular family car that just happens to be a hybrid, whereas the Prius has a unique look and feel. That being said, our family would likely choose the Prius, since it's a little cheaper, gets better mileage (51/48 vs. 43/39) and has somewhat more cargo space with the hatchback.

You mentioned having to seat an adult in the back -- I wasn't clear whether you meant that in addition to 1 or 2 kids? The Camry has somewhat more backseat space if you're attempting to fit 3 people across (1 adult + 2 carseats). But 1 or 2 adults should be fine in the back of a Prius; I am on the taller side and find it comfortable even with the taxi divider taking up space.

Lemonade

I had a Fusion Hybrid recently. Almost as good of mileage for the week I had it as our Prius in similar conditions. It's also bigger, if you don't mind a modest trunk vs. hatch. Only real quirk was a slight crossover in seatbelts behind the driver with the center seat, but not nearly as bad as Prius.

Prius V, Camry, Fusion, C-Max and Sonata are all going to offer similar mileage and space. The standard Prius is smaller with higher fuel economy. We like our Prius, but if I was buying today, the Fusion might be the frontrunner for me. A Fusion Energi would be da bomb!

Thanks! I'll let DH know.

In terms of Camry Hybrid vs. Prius -- I don't own either one, but have ridden in each a few times (usually as a taxi passenger, as they are both very common around here). The Camry definitely feels a little nicer and more like a regular family car that just happens to be a hybrid, whereas the Prius has a unique look and feel. That being said, our family would likely choose the Prius, since it's a little cheaper, gets better mileage (51/48 vs. 43/39) and has somewhat more cargo space with the hatchback.

You mentioned having to seat an adult in the back -- I wasn't clear whether you meant that in addition to 1 or 2 kids? The Camry has somewhat more backseat space if you're attempting to fit 3 people across (1 adult + 2 carseats). But 1 or 2 adults should be fine in the back of a Prius; I am on the taller side and find it comfortable even with the taxi divider taking up space.

DH normally has 2 kid seats in his forester, which both have to be outboard because it's SOOOO narrow. When he needs to drive around more than 1 adult he has to remove one seat and toss it in the back. I was still expecting him to need to do that but it would be a huge bonus if it could fit 3 people across, with one outboard and center being child seats and enough space left over on the other outboard side for an adult to fit comfortably without removing the center child seat. Both kids are currently harnessed because it's easier to buckle a harness than a booster for DS. Within the next 2 years, both kids will be boostered. I'm pretty open to buying new seats to make this work:dance: OTOH, he does drive on narrow downtown Philly streets so narrow cars are a blessing in some ways.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The regular Prius is definitely a compact car in terms of width. 3 kids in boosters or seatbelts will likely work. Other arrangements can be a challenge. The others are wider, I'm not sure which is widest.

SavsMom

I like the Camry Hybrid...but the trunk is way too small. The Hybrid battery takes up a lot of space in the Camry Hybrid, so we went with the Prius and have been very happy with it.

Darren - is the Fusion trunk small as well?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I like the Camry Hybrid...but the trunk is way too small. The Hybrid battery takes up a lot of space in the Camry Hybrid, so we went with the Prius and have been very happy with it.

Darren - is the Fusion trunk small as well?

It's not a large trunk, but I didn't compare to a regular Fusion to see the difference, sorry.

Do any of them have 3 sets of latch or center latch?

Ford allows center LATCH, using the innermost anchors from the outboard seats. You must verify no conflicts with the carseat instructions, though, and you would not be able to use LATCH for either outboard seat if you use LATCH in the center.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC