Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    CPS Technician Lemonade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    877

    Hybrids: Camry, Fushion, ?

    DH is starting to look at replacing his 10 yr old forester. He is set on a hybrid. And a sedan or similar. Needs to be able to comfortably seats an adult in the back periodically. Camry and Prius are pretty close in price. Seems like Camry would be nicer...am I missing some reason the Prius is better? I know milage isnt quite as good on camry. Anyone have a Fushion? What others should we consider? Thx
    CPST and Mom to:
    DS 12/05 {60# and 55.5"}
    DD 6/08 {56# and 51.5"} in an Incognito

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Location
    Car-Seat.Org
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    CPST Instructor Mingie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    464

    Re: Hybrids: Camry, Fushion, ?

    He could also look at the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

    I will let the others comment on hybrids though since I don't know enough to give any advice.
    ~ Laura ~
    CRST-I & Mom to DD#1 November 2005 & DD#2 May 2008 and DD#3 August 2013

  4. #3
    CPSDarren - Admin SafeDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    11,993

    Re: Hybrids: Camry, Fushion, ?

    I had a Fusion Hybrid recently. Almost as good of mileage for the week I had it as our Prius in similar conditions. It's also bigger, if you don't mind a modest trunk vs. hatch. Only real quirk was a slight crossover in seatbelts behind the driver with the center seat, but not nearly as bad as Prius.

    Prius V, Camry, Fusion, C-Max and Sonata are all going to offer similar mileage and space. The standard Prius is smaller with higher fuel economy. We like our Prius, but if I was buying today, the Fusion might be the frontrunner for me. A Fusion Energi would be da bomb!

  5. #4
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    409

    Re: Hybrids: Camry, Fushion, ?

    In terms of Camry Hybrid vs. Prius -- I don't own either one, but have ridden in each a few times (usually as a taxi passenger, as they are both very common around here). The Camry definitely feels a little nicer and more like a regular family car that just happens to be a hybrid, whereas the Prius has a unique look and feel. That being said, our family would likely choose the Prius, since it's a little cheaper, gets better mileage (51/48 vs. 43/39) and has somewhat more cargo space with the hatchback.

    You mentioned having to seat an adult in the back -- I wasn't clear whether you meant that in addition to 1 or 2 kids? The Camry has somewhat more backseat space if you're attempting to fit 3 people across (1 adult + 2 carseats). But 1 or 2 adults should be fine in the back of a Prius; I am on the taller side and find it comfortable even with the taxi divider taking up space.

  6. #5
    CPS Technician Lemonade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    877

    Re: Hybrids: Camry, Fushion, ?

    Quote Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post
    I had a Fusion Hybrid recently. Almost as good of mileage for the week I had it as our Prius in similar conditions. It's also bigger, if you don't mind a modest trunk vs. hatch. Only real quirk was a slight crossover in seatbelts behind the driver with the center seat, but not nearly as bad as Prius.

    Prius V, Camry, Fusion, C-Max and Sonata are all going to offer similar mileage and space. The standard Prius is smaller with higher fuel economy. We like our Prius, but if I was buying today, the Fusion might be the frontrunner for me. A Fusion Energi would be da bomb!
    Thanks! I'll let DH know.

    Quote Originally Posted by cantabdad View Post
    In terms of Camry Hybrid vs. Prius -- I don't own either one, but have ridden in each a few times (usually as a taxi passenger, as they are both very common around here). The Camry definitely feels a little nicer and more like a regular family car that just happens to be a hybrid, whereas the Prius has a unique look and feel. That being said, our family would likely choose the Prius, since it's a little cheaper, gets better mileage (51/48 vs. 43/39) and has somewhat more cargo space with the hatchback.

    You mentioned having to seat an adult in the back -- I wasn't clear whether you meant that in addition to 1 or 2 kids? The Camry has somewhat more backseat space if you're attempting to fit 3 people across (1 adult + 2 carseats). But 1 or 2 adults should be fine in the back of a Prius; I am on the taller side and find it comfortable even with the taxi divider taking up space.
    DH normally has 2 kid seats in his forester, which both have to be outboard because it's SOOOO narrow. When he needs to drive around more than 1 adult he has to remove one seat and toss it in the back. I was still expecting him to need to do that but it would be a huge bonus if it could fit 3 people across, with one outboard and center being child seats and enough space left over on the other outboard side for an adult to fit comfortably without removing the center child seat. Both kids are currently harnessed because it's easier to buckle a harness than a booster for DS. Within the next 2 years, both kids will be boostered. I'm pretty open to buying new seats to make this work OTOH, he does drive on narrow downtown Philly streets so narrow cars are a blessing in some ways.
    CPST and Mom to:
    DS 12/05 {60# and 55.5"}
    DD 6/08 {56# and 51.5"} in an Incognito

  7. #6
    CPS Technician Lemonade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    877

    Re: Hybrids: Camry, Fushion, ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mingie View Post
    He could also look at the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

    I will let the others comment on hybrids though since I don't know enough to give any advice.
    Thanks, I'll check that out.
    CPST and Mom to:
    DS 12/05 {60# and 55.5"}
    DD 6/08 {56# and 51.5"} in an Incognito

  8. #7
    CPSDarren - Admin SafeDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    11,993

    Re: Hybrids: Camry, Fushion, ?

    The regular Prius is definitely a compact car in terms of width. 3 kids in boosters or seatbelts will likely work. Other arrangements can be a challenge. The others are wider, I'm not sure which is widest.

  9. #8
    CPS Fanatic SavsMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SoFL
    Posts
    1,241
    I like the Camry Hybrid...but the trunk is way too small. The Hybrid battery takes up a lot of space in the Camry Hybrid, so we went with the Prius and have been very happy with it.

    Darren - is the Fusion trunk small as well?

    DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard

  10. #9
    CPS Technician Lemonade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    877
    Do any of them have 3 sets of latch or center latch?
    CPST and Mom to:
    DS 12/05 {60# and 55.5"}
    DD 6/08 {56# and 51.5"} in an Incognito

  11. #10
    CPSDarren - Admin SafeDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    11,993

    Re: Hybrids: Camry, Fushion, ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SavsMom View Post
    I like the Camry Hybrid...but the trunk is way too small. The Hybrid battery takes up a lot of space in the Camry Hybrid, so we went with the Prius and have been very happy with it.

    Darren - is the Fusion trunk small as well?
    It's not a large trunk, but I didn't compare to a regular Fusion to see the difference, sorry.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    Do any of them have 3 sets of latch or center latch?
    Ford allows center LATCH, using the innermost anchors from the outboard seats. You must verify no conflicts with the carseat instructions, though, and you would not be able to use LATCH for either outboard seat if you use LATCH in the center.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •