little passenger seats?

desisue0131

Has anyone ever heard of these? Are they really safe?!!? I could really use a third row and this is much cheaper then buying a new car!!

ADS

HaileysMommy

No, not at all. The simplest reason is they haven't been crash tested.

There are multiple other reasons. One being the cargo area in a vehicle is not meant to house people. It's a place that is meant to crumple in a crash and take the crash forces. Put a kid there and well, crunch. Two, those things cannot take crash forces. IIRC they are made of wood and other materials that haven't been tested. I mean if your ok with your kid being a crash dummy (I'm sure your not :)

Eta: I see they have "crash testing" done with FMVSS quoted but I was under the impression from another thread these seats were not okay. Are they claiming testing like some aftermarket products do?

Etaa: I knew I wasn't crazy http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=68534

SavsMom

The way I see it....if it isn't a seat that came in the vehicle from the factory there is NO WAY I would even consider using one.

Brianna

They're also saying that children 4+ can safely use their seats, with no car seat/booster required. The shoulder belt is an optional add-on. I can't take a company seriously if they're promoting a 4 year old using a lap belt, no matter what sort of testing they claim to have passed.

SavsMom

I will add also that many vehicles with an optional 3rd row have structural differences than those without the option.

desisue0131

I figured it wasn't something I could use just thought I would ask in case I had overlooked something that could be used!!

soph's mom

Legally they can be used, insurance companies claim to cover occupants in them... But like the others said they are in the crumple zones of most vehicles... I would love to have one for my grand cherokee but I can't take the risk. I would consider it for a vehicle that was on the farm only and not exceeding probably 10-15 mph on a relatively flat surface....

Brigala

CPST Instructor
They're actually quite expensive, too. I wouldn't be so sure it would be less expensive than trading your vehicle in.

I have been investigating these for a long time and wishing I could afford to buy one for someone I know where the alternative is to have someone ride unrestrained in the cargo area or other unsafe arrangement. They already have an old Suburban (biggest vehicle they can afford to own and drive) and a very large family and have been hit hard by financial misfortune.

Would I buy one for my Suburban? No. If we don't all fit, we take another vehicle. If I had a 2-row vehicle, I'd trade it in for a 3-row vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC