Which seat on Airplane?

flick37

Hi,

We are going to be taking a flight on WestJet Encore, and I am wondering which car seats I should bring. We are renting a car, and I will only use our own seats, so will be using them on the flight.

DD - 6.5 years - 52 lbs
DS - 3.5 years - 40 lbs

My options are:

2 radians (which to me would be ideal, as they are narrow and fold nicely, but DH hates the radian with a passion)

2 Graco Nautilus (which DH loves, but I wonder if they would be too wide for the seats, plus more awkward to carry).

1 TrueFit (which I wonder might be too big and bulky)

1 Britax Parkway (which I could hopefully gate-check and DD can use the regular seat belt on the plane, but I am not sure how comfortable I am using the booster at this point)

Thanks for any advice!

ADS

jnamommy

Your dd would be big enough to fit in the airplane seatbelt, if you are comfortable with this. Can she sit properly in a booster? If so, I might consider the bubblebum, since it would be light and not take up a lot of room. For your ds, I would probably take a Radian - either wear it backpack style, or bungee it to a luggage cart and wheel it (and possibly a kiddo or carryons in it) through the airport.

I don't think I would opt for the Nautilus or True Fit - much bulkier and wider than the Radian, so to me at least, more difficult to maneuver onto the plane.

If you don't feel comfortable with your dd in a backless booster, I would consider a high back that comes apart - carry the bottom portion on the plane, and pack the back in your well padded suitcase. Worst case, suitcase is missing, but at least you would have the bottom.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
I too would do a radian for your youngest and a booster for your oldest. The highback Graco Turbo is a great travel seat. We do the same as the pp by carrying on the seat portion and packing the back in our suitcase.

This is my set up! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...01779285.80174.217167041676889&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...01779285.80174.217167041676889&type=3&theater. I put my radian on a luggage cart and pull my daughter around. Well I used to! I even pull my luggage cart down the aisle of the plane.

aeormsby

I would take the radian for the 3yo and the base of the Parkway for the 6yo to use backless. And just stow the booster overhead or under the seat (not gate checked).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC