Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Redesigned Subaru Forester aces tough new crash test; only 2 of 13 small SUVs tested earn Top Safety Pick+

The 2014 Subaru Forester is the first vehicle to ace every aspect of the challenging small overlap front crash test. The Forester and the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, which earns acceptable in the test, are the latest vehicles to qualify for the Institute's recently inaugurated top honor, Top Safety Pick+. Other tested small SUVs earn poor or marginal ratings for small overlap.

More...
    Welcome to Car-Seat.Org! Click to Post a Question. Please respect our signature guidelines. Thank you.
    These topics have useful information: Main Announcement, User Guidelines, Please Support Car-Seat.Org
    Please support Car-Seat.Org by using forum links to Amazon (please bookmark!), Wayfair, Target, Walmart, Albee and our Sponsors.
    All Website Content Copyright© 2001-2019, Car-Seat.Org, All Rights Reserved
    Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About Us

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: Redesigned Subaru Forester aces tough new crash test; only 2 of 13 small SUVs tested earn Top Safety Pick+

I saw an ad on TV for this car, and they made a big deal about how rear occupant safety was their most important focus. I'd love to see more about this car, given these awesome new ratings, but mostly I'm curious to know what they meant by that assertion. Too lazy to google it, though, so I'll just wait to read about it here on the board
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Carseat Crazy
    I think they're making a huge deal marketing wise about their rear seat safety ratings because previous models were absolutely horrible, a friend of mine sells subarus and in 2011 when I was interested in buying one (and pregnant at the time) she told me she wouldn't sell me one bc they had a 2 star crash rating in the back seat... I'm glad they have improved it!!!

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: Redesigned Subaru Forester aces tough new crash test; only 2 of 13 small SUVs tested earn Top Safety Pick+

Oh, good to know, thanks! All I know is they are so often such a big ol' pain to install carseats in (mostly the center) I never really thought about the rear crash safety ratings. (Three sets of LATCH with 100 pound limits and built in boosters would make me really happy, but I know it's a pipe dream, lol).
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Just to clarify, do you mean the side impact tests for the rear seat? These are actual crash tests done by both the IIHS and NHTSA in different configurations.

Or, do you mean the IIHS rear crash protection rating? This one isn't a crash test at all, but a subjective rating of vehicle seat and head restraints as they fit a typical male size dummy. They don't really affect the safety of kids in child restraints at all.

7. Thank You from: