Booster for '11 Subaru Forester?

U

Unregistered

My 5 year old daughter is 60 pounds and 46 inches tall. She just switched out of a 5 point harness to a Grace Turbobooster, but it doesn't fit well in my Forester. When it sits flush against the seat, it covers the seatbelt button, but if I slide it over to make room to reach the seatbelt, it's too far up on the curved part of the seat and doesn't sit level (closer to the door).

Is there a narrower booster that will work better in the Forester and still be comfortable long term for her height/weight? For now, we scoot her over to buckle the seatbelt and then push her back into place, which works but is a pain. I don't want to be annoyed every time I buckle her in for the next 4 years! Thanks for any tips.

ADS

creideamh

I hate the TB for that reason- it practically sits on top of all my cars' buckle stalks.
What is your price range? I'd look into the Recaros (Vivo & ProBooster), Evenflo Amp, Harmony Dreamtime, and the Kiddy Cruiserfix. They're all pretty narrow at the belt path/back.

(FTR, I have the same issue with the Britax Parkway as the TB. Just in case you're looking into that one!)

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping for lower price but if I knew for sure it would work in the new Forester I'd pay more. She is in a low-back booster now. I'd be OK with a high-back one but it can't have the big "wings" around the head like the Recaro because that makes her carsick... I'll look into the other models - thanks!

Athena

Is the '11 model the same as the '09 Forester? If so, I know what you mean about fitting a booster back into that slim spot between where the wheel well protrudes and the buckle stalk. We tried a few boosters, including the turbo, and found the Parkway SGL fit that slim spot perfectly, like it was meant to be there. Given the slimness of the spot, I don't think anything is super easy to buckle, but the turbo was nearly impossible, whereas with a bit of playing with the parkway, we were able to figure it out and my brand new booster rider could buckle it. It's been a little while and it's not in my car, but if I recall correctly, we just have to push the buckle stalk away from the booster to buckle. I hope this is helpful, but keep in mind this is in the '09 and with any booster, I'd try it before buying anything you can't return. Even if it fits the car, you need to make sure it works for your DD. Also, the head wings might be too big for your or her liking and it is a bit more money, but you can often find them on sale and it offers other features I wanted, like more growing room many boosters, has latch, and comes with the SG clip (if you want that 4th point). I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

U

Unregistered

Subaru made some made changes between the 2009 and 2010 models so I'm not exactly sure what the differences would be. I was able to find the Harmony Dreamtime at Target and it is quite a bit narrower at the beltpath compared to our Graco. Also - the Dreamtime was $40 less at Target than elsewhere online, which seemed strange, but I think it's the same model!

I like the look of the Parkway SGL and the way the armrests leave more room to route the belt underneath. Torn on whether the Parkway is worth the extra price. DD of course likes that it is available in pink!

U

Unregistered

Someone also mentioned to me that a Monterey might work because they are tapered at the back. Does anyone know if this is true?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC