NY booster law, "and" or "or?

Jackie010307

I believe it's 4 years OR 40lbs but I just want to make sure. Just to note, I would not personally put a 4 year old in a booster but working with car seats I have already been asked several time already. I do explain about impulse control and that putting a 4 year old in a booster might not be a good idea, depending on the child, but there are still parents out there that care more about the law than the best practice. I really would like the law to be worded with and so that more children would be harnessed longer, but I'm doubting it's that way.

ADS

mommyfrog

It appears to be or. It says up to age 4 must be in a child safety seat unless they are more than 40 pounds, then they can use a booster. Then it says 4, 5, 6, and 7 year olds must use child retraint restraint device appropriate for their size. Eight and up can use the seat belt, but they recommend using a booster to 4'9" or 100 pounds.

Brianna

Every child under age 16 in the vehicle must use a safety restraint. If under age four, he or she must be properly secured in a federally-approved child safety seat that is attached to a vehicle by a safety belt or universal child restraint anchorage (LATCH) system. A child under age four who weighs more than 40 pounds may be restrained in a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt. A child of age 4, 5, 6 or 7, must use a booster seat with lap and shoulder belt or a child safety seat (The child and safety restraint system must meet the height and weight recommendations of the restraint manufacturer.)
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/c-1.htm

Unfortunately, it is 4 or 40.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC