moms of lots of kids...WWYD?

Kel

I can't believe how I agonize over where my children sit in my van. I have a 2011 12 passenger, so TEN back seating locations with 6 kids. I mean seriously, who would have trouble with that, right???

I do. I feel like if any put any of my big boys outboard, Im putting them in danger.Since I have two RFers I put them outboard. I REALLY want my 9 yr old behind my drivers seat though. But.....I feal like since i have safer RFing kids that can go there, that I'm putting him in a dangerous spot. Also...My almost 12yr old favorite spot is outboard. It has a cup under a funny, lol. BUT I never leg him sit there because I keep thing the other spots in the van are safer.

My vans an E350. So bigger and heavier that a large SUB. I keep telling myself that it's a little safer than normal cars because of that.

ALSO, I want a RN again for my 3yr old DS. It installs in my van in seconds. BUT, I worry about him being outboard in it.

So, to those of you with lots of kids, do you worry where each kids sits? Or am over doing it?

Would you let your teenage kids sit outboard if there were other location available?

Would you put a little one outboard in RN? Or use deeper seats since I have room for bigger seats?

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I don't have any kids, but I'd let your older kids sit outboard without worrying. :)

tiggercat

I have 3 kids, and 5 seating positions. Currently, none of my kids sit in a centre position.
I wouldn't worry about where your older kids sit, as long as the seating position has a lap/shoulder belt, and head restraint to the tips of their ears.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

aept

I have 3 kids, and 5 seating positions. Currently, none of my kids sit in a centre position.
I wouldn't worry about where your older kids sit, as long as the seating position has a lap/shoulder belt, and head restraint to the tips of their ears.

Exactly this! (Replace "centre" with "center" though for my US version.) ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

tiggercat

Exactly this! (Replace "centre" with "center" though for my US version.) ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

I go back and forth on centre/center. Neither feels quite right to me, lol.

Kel

Thanks ladies...I guess my carseat weirdness increases with each baby, lol.

Any thoughts on the RN outboard vs say the pria outboard?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It's rear-facing? Either will protect him very well.

As a nanny, I've had 5, 6, and 7 charges with six rear seating positions. I would make an attempt to put kids in certain "safer" seating positions, but at the end of the day... fitting all of the seats into the car was the most important thing. If everything else was the same, I'd try to get my booster riders centered but honestly, convenience usually won out.

Honestly, now I have two kids riding with me - I could put them center second & center third, or center/outboard second... but they are both outboard. I am able to secure them best that way, making sure harnesses are tight etc.

I took comfort in the fact that they were properly restrained, in the rear of the vehicle, and I drove responsibly. If I had a teen who preferred outboard, I would permit it. And I'd probably go with whatever seat worked best for us.

Kel

When I was cramming 6 kids in my windstar, I did what I had to. I was just glad to have everyone fit safely. It was after I got my big van that my paranoia started, lol. I have RFers outboard because I knew it was the least safe locations.

But then the teens started asking for those spots. I've said no so far. I really want the 9 yr old boy behind me. I'm putting him in isolation, lol.

featherhead

I have a 6 passenger van, so it doesn't have any centre seats. Everyone sits outboard including my 18 month old in a Radian.

henrietta

Personally, as long as the seats fit properly, you can buckle the littles in easily, everyone is buckled in properly w/a lap & shoulder belt who's in a booster or just an adult belt, yes, I'd totally let the older kids have outboard seats. In an effort for family harmony, for them to have elbow room or to use the cup holders. Totally. If they aren't happy and comfortable, they are more likely to fuss and argue...and they will lean out of their shoulder belts to increase their own space...and those things are less safe for you as a driver and for them as a passenger.

shellwelly

I only have one - 23 month old, RF in her Pria - and she rides outboard in our small SUV. While I know the center is technically safer, there's no headrest there and I can't get a mirror to be able to see her. Plus, it's a lot easier for me to get her in and out of the seat when it's outboard. So for my peace of mind and ability to drive without distraction of not being able to see/communicate with her, she rides outboard. And I feel completely safe with it.
The way I look at it, you've properly restrained your kids, taught them to ride safely, so let them sit where they want and keep the family peace.

Keeanh

In the small van, it's all about loading and who is in the vehicle the most.

In the big van my considerations are:
- where seats will install properly (stupid Express has a lot of incompatibilities)
- where the shoulder belts & headrests are
- who gets along with who
- who needs help from who
- loading & unloading (I try to keep RF seats out of the way)
- let the big kids have empty spots beside them if possible

As you can see, relative safety of any particular position isn't even on my radar. Don't worry about it. As long as they're restrained properly, I would let them sit wherever they like.

Tiggercat, gotta be loyal to the Canadian spelling! Spell check be damned. It's centre I tell you! CENTRE!! :p LOL

Chely7425

I have 4 kids, 6 seating positions. Usually nobody is in the middle positions because that means they are next to a sibling which never leads to anything good..

Kel

Its always bad to put one of my big boys right behind another big boy. The one in back always messes with the one in fronts seatbelt, lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC