daycare van has no tethers!

bethng

I have overlooked this issue for a while but since I have a brand new MA for her now, and been reading these boards and learning tons, I am really not pleased that she does not have tethers. She has a 98 mercury villager. I called the dealership nearest to her and they want about $10 for the tether kit (once they figured out what the heck I was talking about) and $87-$127 to install it. Does this seem right? Isnt it just a matter of bolting it to the floor of the van? That price quote was for one hour to 1.5 hours of labor. I will pay it but want to see if anyone else managed to get a better deal and how.

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
From the LATCH manual (page 227):
Dealership Installation Program: For 1989 and later models, Mercury will pay their dealers to install tether anchors (Program R7C).

Village '93-'98 part numbers
Second Row, Center: N/A
Second Row, Outboard: Use 3rd row seat belts as tether anchors.
Third Row, Center and Outboard: F3XY12613D20-A; Weld nuts (3) in floor.

bethng

From the LATCH manual (page 227):

Village '93-'98 part numbers
Second Row, Center: N/A
Second Row, Outboard: Use 3rd row seat belts as tether anchors.
Third Row, Center and Outboard: F3XY12613D20-A; Weld nuts (3) in floor.

Thank you! so if he is in the second row I can tether to the 3rd row seatbelt? I will need more info on that later. Also, who do I call or tell this dealership to call to let them know that I should not be paying by the hour to have this installed and they should bill mercury?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
You'll have to check the manual for instructions on tethering to the seatbelt. The LATCH manual doesn't provide details. In the 2nd row, however, yes, tethering to the 3rd row seatbelt is the only option for a front facing seat.

Just call the dealership back and tell them that Mercury will reimburse them for the anchor installation under Program R7C. They may need to look into it before they believe you, but that should do it.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
You can only tether to a seatbelt that someone is not wearing though. Seems obvious, but want to make sure everyone is clear.

Susan

bethng

You can only tether to a seatbelt that someone is not wearing though. Seems obvious, but want to make sure everyone is clear.

Susan

Oh I figured that. Just trying to figure out which end of the belt to tether to...or do I tether after the belt is connected together? I need to dig out her auto maunal and see if its mentioned. I also need to call the dealership back and tell them that mercury will pay for this! avery is 27lbs so he has a while rear facing still (and I can teather to a great spot under the seat in front of him but I want to get tethered installed over xmas break for when he has to turn around. Personally, I think its just time for her to get a new van! lol

bethng

Re: daycare van has no tethers! UPDATE

Just wanted to update and say thanks! Today I was able to help my daycare provider get 2 tether anchors installed in her van and at no cost to me. All billed to Mercury! Yeah! :D

scatterbunny

Re: daycare van has no tethers! UPDATE

That's AWESOME! :D

If you need help tethering to a third row belt, first check her owner's manual to see if it gives specifics, and if not, post back. We've got several threads floating around here with photos depicting various methods of tethering to seatbelts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC