Harness seat suggestions

fyrfightermomma

So being newly single and poor I had to downsize our grand caravan for better mileage and a lower payment.

Well after trying to cram three seats in the back of tons of sedans they finally fit in an 08 dodge avenger. Except I was dumb and didn't actually install the seat.

So I have my grand plan on how the girls will both be outboard in Cosco topsides (narrowest booster I had available near me. Their turbos seemed way wider). I tried a radian in the middle but there was no way to get a good install in the center. Plus being low profile it was almost impossible for the girls to fit their hands down to buckle.

So my next master plan...his head wise 70 is on a base so it should help. And it does! So I have it all figured out. Except I don't. I cannot get the damn thing in tight in the middle! And I can't put one of the girls there because there is no headrest. Another thing I didn't think of :-/

So...basically I need something that will install forward facing in the center of an 08 avenger with a lap shoulder belt that will puzzle well with some boosters of some type.

Yeah real helpful I am :-/. I was counting on this working. They are at their dads till tomorrow so I gotta figure this out ASAP

ADS

fyrfightermomma

Oh the kids stats would help

Evelyn is 8, around 56" and 45 pounds

Sophia is 6, 50" and 48 lbs (I would prefer her in a hb but just don't see how to make it fit)

Joey is 3 and maybe 30 pounds and 34" ish? While he fits fine rear facing I'm fine with him forward facing. I can't imagine him being backward being able to get at his two sisters :-/. Plus he won't be rear facing forever so I still need a plan in a few months

The headwise puzzles awesome! I just can't the darn thin tight!! Ughh

bubbaray

Im not familiar with your vehicle, but two bubble bums and a radian would be about as narrow as you could get. But the RN is pricey. It's possible that something low profile like a Maestro would work between two bubble bums.

Not sure how or where you would get the BBs.

For B&M boosters, the harmony LBB (literider?) is pretty narrow.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I wonder if an Evenfo SureRide would work? It sort of sits on a base so it may create a little pocket for the girls to stick their hands in and buckle.

creideamh

Yeah, I don't know about the install issues with that car, but the SureRide is really narrow at the back and flares up and out. I have one FF center in a Forester right now (suuuper tight car), and both my mom and I can sit outboard, buckle easily, and kinda slide underneath the flares. Hard to explain but not terrible in practice...and I imagine it'd be easy for younger kids.

fyrfightermomma

I wonder if an Evenfo SureRide would work? It sort of sits on a base so it may create a little pocket for the girls to stick their hands in and buckle.

Does it last a decent amount of time? Cause ill have the car a few years and can't imagine trying to fit 3 boosters. So if he can stay harnessed till I get a new car in a few years that would be great

Suzibeck

The sure ride is crazy tall for a budget seat and it seems to install in most vehicles easily. We use it as our program seat.

fyrfightermomma

The sure ride is crazy tall for a budget seat and it seems to install in most vehicles easily. We use it as our program seat.

How's the crotch strap length? I get skeeved out digging for it once they are potty trained. That's why I loved our headwise 70. Crazy long crotch strap that always stayed in place and never went under him, even with his crazy climbing in

featherhead

How's the crotch strap length? I get skeeved out digging for it once they are potty trained. That's why I loved our headwise 70. Crazy long crotch strap that always stayed in place and never went under him, even with his crazy climbing in

Can you teach him to pull it out himself when he climbs in? Mine have done it since they were 2 1/2 or so. Sometimes my 4 year old forgets, but for the most part she is good about it.

Edit: I have no clue how that seat is in the crotch dept. as we don't have it up north here yet.

MommyShannon

What about the newer Britax seats? The base seems narrower and higher than the headwise

The Britax convertibles are up on a base but a lot of money for just using ff. the Maestro or SecureKids are kind of narrow but the SureRide harness is an inch higher. I agree it may be perfect for you. Plus he could rf if you want.

fyrfightermomma

Or my ex has a peg convertible I could beg for back. I haven't seen it in a while so I can't remember how narrow and high the base is

fyrfightermomma

The Britax convertibles are up on a base but a lot of money for just using ff. the Maestro or SecureKids are kind of narrow but the SureRide harness is an inch higher. I agree it may be perfect for you. Plus he could rf if you want.

Very true. Ill try the evenflo ones after work. Here's hoping for the best!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC