Question '14 Forester and Oobr seat

U

Unregistered

Hi,
I just bought a 2014 Forester. During test driving I used our back up seats, two Graco Turboboosters, which fit great, and still allowed a small adult or a third booster to fit in the back.

Now I have the vehicle home I am installing our regular daily seats. A Frontier and Oobr. The Oobr is so wide compared to the location of the seat belt that it is almost impossible to buckle up the seat belt. And due to the latching, there is no "wiggle" room for getting to the seat belt.

I am assuming I will need to replace the Oobr, which sucks, the seat is only 6 months old.

Any suggestions on a good seat that is more narrow on the base at the back to make it easier to buckle?

My boys are 5 YO (42lbs, 46") and 7 YO (48lbs, 48")
Thanks!
Shelley

ADS

Clek CPST

Have you tried using the Oobr without LATCH'ing it in to see if it works that way?

I know that the buckle is snug to the Oobr in my vehicle as well, but I'm able to buckle it. Provided you can buckle securely, there's no harm in it being close to the booster, but I certainly understand that it being harder to buckle could be difficult.

canadiangie

Diono Monterey is narrow at the base.

You want to make sure you find one with 3rd generation belt guides though. The 2nd generation ones don't work well in quite a few vehicles. If that info makes no sense just post back and I'm sure someone can post pics of the 'good' guides.

U

Unregistered

How could I not LATCH it and not destroy my car? The LATCH system is so large and solid off the back of my Oobr, if I didn't LATCH it in the LATCH components would rub and damage my seats. I have a Monterey I bought about 18 months ago (it is the fold flat kind for traveling), it has a flexible LATCH strap system which I could use or not use, but the seat is a pain to move in and out of the car, it pops apart constantly and my son says its uncomfortable (which is why we went with the Oobr about a year ago). Is the very Diono different?

Which reminds me of another question I have about the Oobr, that massive sliding LATCH system is covered with a white plastic cover that moves with the sliding LATCH system but ours catches all the time and is starting to bend up. It seems like a really poor design for such an expensive seat. Any idea why it is doing this? I haven't received any recall notes on the seat, but this seems like a fairly big issue that will fairly soon render our seat unuseable.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC