Safety 1st Go or BubbleBum booster?

U

Unregistered

We are going to Hawaii in a couple months and are trying to determine which travel carseats or boosters to purchase for our 2 and 4 year old boys. 2 year old is about 35 lbs and 39 in tall, 4 year old is 43 lbs and 42.5 in tall (both are big for their age). We will be doing moderate driving (to/from airport, a one-time one hour transfer between hotels, and then maybe a few 10 minute trips to shop).

We are planning to purchase the Safety 1st Go Hybrid for our 2 year old, and trying to decide between (1) getting a second one of those for our 4 year old or (2) whether we would be ok with just getting him the BubbleBum booster (this would be much cheaper and easier to carry). I would love any input as to safety of the BubbleBum for a 4 year old. I get worried given that 5 point harness is the safest and reading some reports about non high back boosters being dangerous. Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated.

We also considered the RiderSafe harness but our son is prone to carsickness so we were worried about him not being able to see out the windows.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

ADS

henrietta

We are going to Hawaii in a couple months and are trying to determine which travel carseats or boosters to purchase for our 2 and 4 year old boys. 2 year old is about 35 lbs and 39 in tall, 4 year old is 43 lbs and 42.5 in tall (both are big for their age). We will be doing moderate driving (to/from airport, a one-time one hour transfer between hotels, and then maybe a few 10 minute trips to shop).

We are planning to purchase the Safety 1st Go Hybrid for our 2 year old, and trying to decide between (1) getting a second one of those for our 4 year old or (2) whether we would be ok with just getting him the BubbleBum booster (this would be much cheaper and easier to carry). I would love any input as to safety of the BubbleBum for a 4 year old. I get worried given that 5 point harness is the safest and reading some reports about non high back boosters being dangerous. Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated.

We also considered the RiderSafe harness but our son is prone to carsickness so we were worried about him not being able to see out the windows.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

For a 2 year old, I would strongly suggest you consider purchasing a regular harnessed carseat, such as an Evenflo Maestro (combo seat=forward facing only & can be switched to a booster later w/o the harness) or the Evenflo Sure Ride (convertible=rear to forward facing). The Sure Ride has taller harness slots than the Maestro and most other convertibles & combo seats at 19.5 inches. It probably still fits your 2 yr old rear facing, which is the safest way for him to ride. Your 4 yr old would fit in these, too. The Maestro goes to 50 lbs and the Sure Ride goes to 65 lbs. You can use these seats on the plane. You cannot use the Go on the plane, and you may not be able to use it in taxi's or a rental car b/c it must have a top tether to use the harness.

I'm not completely against using a backless booster for your 4 yr old, but since I have a 4.5 yr old who's similar in size, I can honestly say that since most backless boosters are really intended for older kids w/longer legs, many of them seem to cause a 4 yr old to slouch down in the lap belt, so they can bend their knees at the edge of the seat. The belt fit might look great at first, until they slide down to get comfortable. If they don't feel like slouching in the seat (ie their legs are long enough), a backless isn't any less safe, but it is easier to use a high back correctly in many vehicles and it's easier for younger booster riders to sit correctly in one w/a back, which ultimately CAN make it more safe for that child in a particular vehicle. I'd look at the Harmony folding travel booster for him--$50 at Walmart. It's a great fit for kids his size, narrow, folds into a neat square (takes a little practice, but simple once you've done it), and will fit into the overhead bin on the plane as long as you don't pack it in it's box. It's a great secondary seat to have anyways, b/c it's easy to send w/a friend or grandma for your child. Another option is a Graco Turbo high back or Evenflo Amp high back--remove the back and pack it between layers of your clothes in a suitcase and carry the bottom on the plane to put in the bin, so you'll have it when you get to your first car ride. You can put the back on again later.

ETA: At least one of those types of harnesses can be used w/a booster seat-possibly even a backless. I've never used one or even seen one, but there are other techs here, including ones who air travel often, who can tell you all about those options.

Have a great trip!!!

Last edited:

creideamh

:yeahthat:

Plus the Go, RSTV, and Bubblebum all sit VERY low, so they'd all be a concern for motion sickness.

Since flying Hawaii is a long trip, I myself would prefer using a car seat on board for at least the younger one so he isn't bouncing all over the place. Boosters cannot be used on planes, in case you also want to strap your 4 y/o in. The Maestro and SureRide are good suggestions for either or both of the kids, and the Harmony folding booster looks like it sits higher up than any of those first 3 options for your eldest.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I tend to let my 4 year olds ride in backless boosters when we go to Hawaii. The RideSafer was good, but they complained about being too hot. I also love the Safety 1st Go, it actually wouldn't be a bad choice for both kids. Not for sleeping (you might want to sit in back so you can keep them from falling/flopping over when they inevitably drop off to sleep in traffic on the H1, if you're on Oahu, lol). I'm the rare person who's had absolutely horrible experiences with carseats on airplanes. I know they are ideal, and kids are supposed to sit better in a familiarly comfortable seat, but my 2 yo's just scream until I get them out :eek:. The Harmony folding booster might well be a great choice for the 4 year old, too, I always forget it since I've never seen one, so I'm glad to see it mentioned (First Years also has folding boosters, but honestly they are huge).

PS, my kids are now 15, 13, and 7 and I've flown either from CA to HI or VA to HI a dozen times in total, that's why I mention multiple 2 and 4 year olds.

aeormsby

I'll 2nd Jools.

I think the Go for the younger and the Folding Harmony Booster for your 4yo is a good choice (or a convertible for the 2yo to RF in the car when you get there). The booster folds up to a cube about the same size as the Go so both would fit easily in the overhead bin on the plane.

My 5yo is about the same height as your 4yo (but barely 40lb) and he's getting to the top of the harness in our Go. I actually tried him in it recently to see if he'd still fit for our traveling this summer, if he would have been too tall I would have definitely gone with the folding booster over a NBB for him (we like the Harmony Literider for travel/backup boosters).

2BunniesMommy

I vote the GO for the 2 year old. It is what we used when we went to Hawaii with DD1 right before she turned 2. I didn't know about the importance of having a seat on the plane, so we didn't and she was a lap baby. Any rental car you get will have a top tether, rentals are rarely more than a year old, if that. Not sure what I would do for the 4 year old, but as long as he sits ok in a booster, I think I might be just as ok with a backless and I would with a high back. I do like how the harmony folding booster folds up, nice and small, so it would be a good high back option.

Stelvis

The Harmony booster did NOT fit in the overhead bin of the plane we took with or without the box. So I was glad I had the box, since I could gate check it safely.

It probably fits in some overhead bins, but it doesn't fit in all. I still think its a good seat for the 4 year old.

My 4 year old has also outgrown the Go.

henrietta

The Harmony booster did NOT fit in the overhead bin of the plane we took with or without the box. So I was glad I had the box, since I could gate check it safely.

It probably fits in some overhead bins, but it doesn't fit in all. I still think its a good seat for the 4 year old.

My 4 year old has also outgrown the Go.

Oooo...good to know. Thank you! Someone else here had no trouble getting it into the overhead bin without the box, but it's good to know planes differ. The Harmony folding travel booster cannot be used backless, so maybe a Graco Turbo that you can remove the back or a simple Harmony Literider may be a better choice for plane travel.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC