Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Seats:
FFing Wizard
Parkway

Children:
5 y 32 pounds
4 y 43 pounds

Would you put the older, lighter child in the booster or the younger, heavier child?

I'm taking Piper and my neighbor with me to check a seat this evening and to go to the store (I meet people in the grocery store parking lot often). I'm going to toss in a Radian, but I was wondering what would be the consensus if I used the Parkway. Practically it would be Piper in the Parkway and S in the Wizard, just because I think Piper would flip if anyone sat in her Parkway. And I trust her more. But she's SO much smaller (S also has about three inches on her).

WWYD?

Wendy

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
That is a real toss up, but personally, I'd go with older child who met the seats minimums and was able to sit properly the whole trip. I think that while weight is important, (and this is assuming that both options are legal, and both kids meet the seats minimums requirements,) the difference in both behavior and bone ossification/musculo skeletal developmont would weigh out in favor of putting the older child in the booster even if the younger was heavier.

(Pretending I was in the US anyways, in Canada I legally would have to put the younger in the booster as Piper would still legally have to be harnessed. :p)

crunchierthanthou

That's a tough call, but I'd put Piper in the PW for all the reasons the pp mentioned. She meets the minimum requirements and you think she'll sit in it better.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I would put the other child in the booster IF the child is close to age 5. If not, I would put Piper in the booster.

mimieliza

Isn't 4 years and 40 lbs considered the absolute minimum for a booster? If so, I would put the child that meets those minimums (the 43 lb. 4-year-old) in the booster.

cmm7

I would put my own child in the seat I felt most comfortable with her in as long as the other child met the minimum requirements for the other seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I would put the other child in the booster IF the child is close to age 5. If not, I would put Piper in the booster.

She's a May birthday, so quite a bit of time before she hits 5.

I installed a Radian, so I don't have to choose right now. Luckily I have on hand, oh, five spare seats (though three of them are boosters). If Nathan's car was here I simply would have yanked the other Wizard out of his car. S sits in an AOE in booster mode in her car. Which is awful, I don't like the way it doesn't conform to her body like Piper in the Parkway does, but seeing as her mom was using it with S three inches above the top slots and three pounds over the harness weight, the booster mode is better than she was. The mom DOES lock the seatbelt, I heard S complaining about how she doesn't like it, so I knew that wasn't the first time she'd done it. But S complains that the harness is too tight when she rides with me, and it's appropriate.

Thanks guys, I wasn't certain where I fell on this one. Glad I'm not the only one of two minds on this. :)

Wendy

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I always give preference to the other person's child if there is a questionable situation.

I know I won't be suing myself, after all.

Kimberly

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I always give preference to the other person's child if there is a questionable situation.

I know I won't be suing myself, after all.

Kimberly

In this case my neighbor's dad had surgery this week and she's been spending a lot of time at the hospital with him (she's a nurse, so she can cut through a lot of the BS around patient care). So I couldn't just ask, I had no idea when or if she'd be back last night. On Monday night when her daughter was over for an indefinite amount of time I didn't need to go out, so I didn't ask. Hopefully her father will be lucid enough soon that she won't have to be there every second of the day to make sure her father is getting the care she wants him to have.

She also wouldn't sue me. :) I'm the one who took the seats her engineer husband "installed" and actually made them safe for her daughter to use. The words, "You saved S's life" came out of her mouth. In fact I did her seats several times and taught her how to do them and banned her husband from doing it. I nearly took their locking clips away as well. LOL Engineer husbands are they worst. They think they know what to do, it's only a simple carseat, and so they never bother to read the instructions, just rig it up, and by gosh if there's an extra piece it must go somewhere, right?

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC