Question Time to switch to a booster?

Mel281

DS will be 6 in 2.5 months and weighs 43 pounds We are expecting a baby in a couple of weeks so now seems like a good time to make seat changes as things get moved around in the van to accommodate the new one. DD will go to FF (37" 28 pounds and 3.5 years) and I'm thinking DS should go to a booster when he moves to the third row. I've caught him after loosening his harness straps a few times, so a belt might be safer than loose straps anyway.

thoughts?

ADS

Athena

If he's loosening his harness straps, assuming he knows that's against the rules, I'd want to make sure he will have the impulse control to follow the booster rules.

nannykates

I also would be concerned that he would be out of position especially in the 3rd row. And your daughter probably has some rf time left...I would probably leave them in the same seats and just move them. But you know your kids and seats and van better than me.

Mel281

nannykates said:
I also would be concerned that he would be out of position especially in the 3rd row. And your daughter probably has some rf time left...I would probably leave them in the same seats and just move them. But you know your kids and seats and van better than me.

What do you mean by "out of position?"

tiggercat

What do you mean by "out of position?"

When you buckle a child in a harness, the parent is the one responsible for making sure they are in place. Once they are buckled, they are stuck in position.
When you switch to a booster, there is nothing to stop the child from leaning over (out of position), moving the belt off the shoulder, leaning down to pick up a toy, etc. The responsibility is now on the child to sit properly 100% of the time.
The seatbelt must be correctly positioned (shoulder belt across the collar bone, lap belt low on the hips, snug and flat) to protect the child.
I was good with the idea of moving to a booster up until you wrote that he is loosening his straps. That's a sign of lack of maturity, and I would work on that before moving to a booster.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Mel281

Ok, I get it, thanks. My logic was that if he is leaning down to pick up a toy in a seatbelted booster, at least it will retract when he sits back up. If he is loosening his harness, and I don't know about it, then he is just riding around with loose straps all of the time instead of just those 3 seconds.

tiggercat

Ok, I get it, thanks. My logic was that if he is leaning down to pick up a toy in a seatbelted booster, at least it will retract when he sits back up. If he is loosening his harness, and I don't know about it, then he is just riding around with loose straps all of the time instead of just those 3 seconds.

But if you're in a crash while he is leaning down, he doesn't stand a chance, KWIM?
I'd work on it from a position of "I need you to keep your straps tight so I know you're responsible enough to sit in a booster" and see if that helps?
A non-compliant 5pt rider isn't likely to be a great booster rider, IMO.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Athena

Tiggercat's reward suggestion is great! OP, I understand where you're coming from that at least in a booster the belt would retract, but he needs to learn that loosening his straps or seat belt is never an option. I'd try to explain the safety to him in an age appropriate way. I wouldn't want to terrify the kid or anything, but it sounds like he needs a little scare to stop doing it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC