Evenflo Amp VS Cosco Pronto

CuddlyMonsters

I found out today that my daughter has been riding around in a old Alpha Omega in Booster Mode - that is how she has been transported to and from school. However, I am not really thrilled about her riding in the Alpha Omega as the belt fit absoultey sucks and I have been rounds with transportation about it...

I am considering getting her either the Evenflo Amp or Cosco Pronto for her - she would use it on the Van being transported to and from school everyday and over the summer her therapist can toss it in her car and transport my daughter...

My daughter is 43" tall and 40" and is 6 years old.

We did own a Graco TB with SS and she complained that it hurt her butt/back when she sat in it as her Primary seat.

I am hoping to spend $40 or less on this or my DH will seriously have a HUGE FIT...

ADS

mlohry

Amp! Both of my boys use them and we love them. Even my DD at 3 fit in that thing (just tried her while parked) It's got to be comfortable because we did 3 full back and forth trips to FL from MN in it, no complaints.

2BunniesMommy

DD1 has the Amp just like you posted in another thread and a Turbo with SS. She says that the Turbo with SS is more comfortable than the Amp, but she doesn't complain about either. We are happy with the Amp. Haven't used a Pronto, so don't know on that one.

CuddlyMonsters

OMG! I feel like if you are going to work in transportation (espically dealing with special needs children), then maybe you better go get CPST certified because I seriously am going to loose my marbles...

So after I brought up my concern about my DD riding in the Alpha Omega in Highback Booster mode, they then put her in a Cosco Pronto this AM - but what concerns me is the seat on the van has no headrest?! Also I have no idea what this seat has been through because the cover won't even stay on it! ARGH!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Jeeesh. Yeah, the Pronto requires a headrest. But read this article, scroll to page 4, about whiplash and the extremely, extremely low rate of injury to kids... http://saferidenews.com/srndnn/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=kb2736obx50=&tabid=58

"Researchers with Partners for Child
Passenger Safety (PCPS) at Children’s
Hospital of Philadelphia told SRN that
they have not reported on AIS-1 whiplash
injuries or AIS-2+ neck injuries in rear
impacts because the incidence in their
massive database of children in crashes is
very low, especially to those in boosters."

(Many boosters are just as flimsy as Dorel seats, yet they don't have requirements to have the seatback behind the child. Dorel is just the most cautious of the bunch, I guess)

CuddlyMonsters

They are asking me to provide them the information on where you NEED a headrest to use that seat! They don't believe me and want documentation. They think I am a crazy mom!

CuddlyMonsters

Get a copy of the user manual. If that's not proof enough take this to a higher power

She is telling me that in the user manual it doesn't say you NEED to use it with a headrest. It just says that you place the child restraint against
the back of the vehicle seat....

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It says the tops of the child ears must be below the top of the *vehicle* head restraint/seatback. She's just.... not looking hard enough... (or something, :rolleyes:)

henrietta

It says the tops of the child ears must be below the top of the *vehicle* head restraint/seatback. She's just.... not looking hard enough... (or something, :rolleyes:)

It's not worded very well at all. I just read the manual w/3 CPST-I's who run the car seat safety program for our County Sheriff's Dept. They didn't realize that the Pronto's they regular give out require head support behind the booster to the tops of the child's ears. It's in a "Note" box in the Pronto manual. It does NOT say it requires a head rest specifically behind the booster, it only says that head support up to the top of the child's ears *behind* the Pronto is required. So, once they get taller, that does essentially translate to a adjustable headrest on the vehicle seat back. It's really a dumb way of putting it. :eek:

henrietta

And Cuddly, as long as the seat behind your dd in the booster reaches to the top of her ears, it meets the requirements for head support in the Pronto. The belt fit on the Pronto is generally very good. But you may prefer the Amp anyways--it's just more cushy and doesn't need head support behind it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC