Graco Suggests Jolly Jumper Infant Insert

Danielliia

So, just got off the phone with Graco. I was planning to order an infant insert for one of the girls' car seats. One of the seats has the insert, but one doesn't and it really bothers me how they sit in the seat without the insert. Their position is so much better with the insert.

Graco Canada apparently doesn't have any in stock and actually suggested to buy the Jolly Jumper insert at Toys R Us.

I feel lost and don't know what to do. I tried craigslist, but no luck there. Should I try Graco USA? Just use the seat as is, without an insert? Buy an aftermarket insert?

ADS

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
You can achieve better results and not use an aftermarket product by using 2 rolled receiving blankets. I use any average sized receiving blankets. Fold in half, then in a quarter and roll. Buckle the baby in the seat. Tuck the rolled blanket beside the baby from hips to head.

MorgieBear'sMama

This picture shows what pp mentioned. I didn't have inserts for either of my boy's seats and didn't realize it until leaving the hospital.

ETA: I only ran the blankets from shoulder to top of head. Everybody was not completely adjusted in this pic. I had new babies and took pics whenever the thought crossed my mind.

72475_467112732552_7488181_s.jpg

Mingie

CPST Instructor
You can achieve better results and not use an aftermarket product by using 2 rolled receiving blankets. I use any average sized receiving blankets. Fold in half, then in a quarter and roll. Buckle the baby in the seat. Tuck the rolled blanket beside the baby from hips to head.

I agree. Here is a visual for you. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRfPK-DUvJ4"]Harnessing an Infant in an Infant Carrier - YouTube[/ame]. At about 3:40 there is a demonstration of the receiving blankets.

Danielliia

Thanks everyone! We do add receiving blankets for head support, but the insert in the one car seat seems to prop up their body/head quite a bit. When they are in the seat without the insert their chins drop down quite a bit.

smackeen

If their chins are dropping, is the seat as reclined as it should be? Maybe a little extra recline (if allowed) would solve your problem.

How old are the girls?

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Just as a comment on Graco's recommendation... I wanted some harness covers that Graco Canada eventually told me were not going to be available so I should just go to TRU and buy the (thick) Jolly Jumper ones.

Graco is distributed in Canada by Elfe. I think Elfe will recommend any product they distribute, like Jolly Jumper, with no concern as to whether the actual Graco company approves it. :thumbsdown: You've gotten good alternative advice, I just want to say I think Elfe/Graco Canada's advice is wrong.

Last edited:
I called Graco Canada 2 days ago because I wanted harness covers for my compliant MyRide. I was pretty sure that they wouldn't have them but I called in case of...
Graco told me that they weren't allow to send me harness covers because the seat wasn't made with it but I SHOULD GO TO BRU AND BUY AN AFTERMARKET PRODUCT. I said: but we can't use aftermarket product with any car seat because they aren't tested. And the saleperson repeated the same thing: I can't sell it to you so go to BRU....
I wasn't impressed by Graco ant it's consumer service...

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
They are just about two weeks old. I don't think I can recline the seat any more, but I'll check when we gonout this morning.

Are they different models? One an older one and one a newer one? Those seats were changed when the new standards came in and that might explain why you have a good insert in one and no insert in the other. (new ones are rated 4-35, older ones started at 5lbs.)

The Jolly Jumper support would be awful and it's atrocious that Graco Canada suggested that. I wonder what Gracobaby in the US would have to say about using any aftermarket product you wanted with their seats... or the engineers.

Danielliia

Are they different models? One an older one and one a newer one? Those seats were changed when the new standards came in and that might explain why you have a good insert in one and no insert in the other. (new ones are rated 4-35, older ones started at 5lbs.)

The Jolly Jumper support would be awful and it's atrocious that Graco Canada suggested that. I wonder what Gracobaby in the US would have to say about using any aftermarket product you wanted with their seats... or the engineers.

Yes, you're right! The one seat was my daughters, the insert is in a box somewhere... The other seat is new. Now I'm really not sure what to do. My husband is ready to run out to the store today for a new seat. I *want* a new seat, but really don't want to spend the money on one. We both hate putting them in the old seat, but I know that is is a safe seat still, and I don't know how long they are going to stay in the infant seats for anyway.

snowbird25ca

Yes, you're right! The one seat was my daughters, the insert is in a box somewhere... The other seat is new. Now I'm really not sure what to do. My husband is ready to run out to the store today for a new seat. I *want* a new seat, but really don't want to spend the money on one. We both hate putting them in the old seat, but I know that is is a safe seat still, and I don't know how long they are going to stay in the infant seats for anyway.

How old are your twins right now, what do they weigh, and how do they fit? The bottom padding on the new insert has to be taken out once the shoulders are above the harness slots with it removed, so if you're close to having to have the bottom insert out anyways, then it may not make a big difference.

If it's in your budget, then no harm in getting a new 2nd seat depending on if there's still an appreciable difference in fit/use between the 2 seats. I know the buckle is different so you could be seeing a slight difference in harness geometry as well. I'd first look at how much time you have left with the "bum" part of the insert though - or if it's the back of the insert that you're really liking, then go ahead and buy it if there's that much difference in fit.

The SR35 seats last a long time, most kids fit them beyond a year even if parents aren't carrying baby around still at that point - so you'll get a good amount of use out of it still.

Danielliia

Right now they are almost 3 weeks old, 6.5lb and almost 7lb. They 19.5" and 21" at birth, but not sure how tall they are now. I'm pretty sure they have a fair amount of room still, but i'll have to check on that!

snowbird25ca

Right now they are almost 3 weeks old, 6.5lb and almost 7lb. They 19.5" and 21" at birth, but not sure how tall they are now. I'm pretty sure they have a fair amount of room still, but i'll have to check on that!

Yeah, at that size they may have another month before they reach the bottom slots without the bum padding - will depend on how they're proportioned in the body. For the baby in the seat without the extra padding, are the shoulders even with the bottom harness slots?

If they're below the bottom harness slots in the seat without the padding, then I would say it's better to let your husband go buy a new version - but check first to see how much more use you'll get out of the bum pad if that's the piece making the biggest difference fit wise.

Danielliia

Well, my husband was able to get the seat that was on sale at BRU on Friday, so we didn't have to pay quite as much as regular price. It was really hard to have to put one of the girls in the other seat, so we decided to keep it. I'm not sure, but I don't think it's the bum part, I think it's more that the back has more padding than the head and it sort of props the back up, and the head sits back a bit so the chin doesn't fall forward.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC