Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Graco Suggests Jolly Jumper Infant Insert

So, just got off the phone with Graco. I was planning to order an infant insert for one of the girls' car seats. One of the seats has the insert, but one doesn't and it really bothers me how they sit in the seat without the insert. Their position is so much better with the insert.

Graco Canada apparently doesn't have any in stock and actually suggested to buy the Jolly Jumper insert at Toys R Us.

I feel lost and don't know what to do. I tried craigslist, but no luck there. Should I try Graco USA? Just use the seat as is, without an insert? Buy an aftermarket insert?
    K - November 2007 - FF in Radian XT
    L&C - May 2013 - RF in Snugride 35

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

You can achieve better results and not use an aftermarket product by using 2 rolled receiving blankets. I use any average sized receiving blankets. Fold in half, then in a quarter and roll. Buckle the baby in the seat. Tuck the rolled blanket beside the baby from hips to head.
    Rachel - CPST-I and Mommy to:
    Tripp - 12/22/07 48" and 45# FF FR85
    Aubrey - 11/20/09 38" and 33# ERF in an XTSL
    Bella- 7/13/11 33.5" 24#- XTSL and MySize70

4. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member MorgieBear'sMama's Avatar
    This picture shows what pp mentioned. I didn't have inserts for either of my boy's seats and didn't realize it until leaving the hospital.

ETA: I only ran the blankets from shoulder to top of head. Everybody was not completely adjusted in this pic. I had new babies and took pics whenever the thought crossed my mind.

72475_467112732552_7488181_s.jpg

Re: Graco Suggests Jolly Jumper Infant Insert

Quote Originally Posted by trippsmom View Post
    You can achieve better results and not use an aftermarket product by using 2 rolled receiving blankets. I use any average sized receiving blankets. Fold in half, then in a quarter and roll. Buckle the baby in the seat. Tuck the rolled blanket beside the baby from hips to head.

I agree. Here is a visual for you. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRfPK-DUvJ4"]Harnessing an Infant in an Infant Carrier - YouTube[/ame]. At about 3:40 there is a demonstration of the receiving blankets.
    ~ Laura ~
    CRST-I & Mom to DD#1 November 2005 & DD#2 May 2008 and DD#3 August 2013

Moderator - CPST Instructor Pixelated's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danielliia View Post
    Graco Canada apparently doesn't have any in stock and actually suggested to buy the Jolly Jumper insert at Toys R Us.
    I have inquired with Graco about this. It's the first I've heard of it for them specifically, so it's something I'd like to confirm.
    Jen ~ Canadian CPST-IT with CPSAC

8. Thank You from:

Thanks everyone! We do add receiving blankets for head support, but the insert in the one car seat seems to prop up their body/head quite a bit. When they are in the seat without the insert their chins drop down quite a bit.

If their chins are dropping, is the seat as reclined as it should be? Maybe a little extra recline (if allowed) would solve your problem.

How old are the girls?
    Shalan - CRST - I
    DS#1 10yr, 54in & 62lbs. Affix.
    DS#2 7yr, 44in & 41lbs. Diono Cambria.
    DS#3 5yr, 42in & 38lbs. FF in Radian Premier and Complete Air.

Riding in a 2015 Caravan and a 2013 Corolla.

They are just about two weeks old. I don't think I can recline the seat any more, but I'll check when we gonout this morning.

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar
    Just as a comment on Graco's recommendation... I wanted some harness covers that Graco Canada eventually told me were not going to be available so I should just go to TRU and buy the (thick) Jolly Jumper ones.

Graco is distributed in Canada by Elfe. I think Elfe will recommend any product they distribute, like Jolly Jumper, with no concern as to whether the actual Graco company approves it. You've gotten good alternative advice, I just want to say I think Elfe/Graco Canada's advice is wrong.
    Last edited by unityco; 05-17-2013 at 12:46 AM.

13. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

I called Graco Canada 2 days ago because I wanted harness covers for my compliant MyRide. I was pretty sure that they wouldn't have them but I called in case of...
    Graco told me that they weren't allow to send me harness covers because the seat wasn't made with it but I SHOULD GO TO BRU AND BUY AN AFTERMARKET PRODUCT. I said: but we can't use aftermarket product with any car seat because they aren't tested. And the saleperson repeated the same thing: I can't sell it to you so go to BRU....
    I wasn't impressed by Graco ant it's consumer service...
    Ds1: 8yo riding in a Monterey and a literider boosters
    Ds2: 5 yo riding FF in FRxt X 2
    Dd: 3 yo riding FF in FRxt and MR65
    Ds3: 10 months riding RF in Radian Premier and Safety First Intera

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

They are just about two weeks old. I don't think I can recline the seat any more, but I'll check when we gonout this morning.
    Are they different models? One an older one and one a newer one? Those seats were changed when the new standards came in and that might explain why you have a good insert in one and no insert in the other. (new ones are rated 4-35, older ones started at 5lbs.)

The Jolly Jumper support would be awful and it's atrocious that Graco Canada suggested that. I wonder what Gracobaby in the US would have to say about using any aftermarket product you wanted with their seats... or the engineers.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
    Are they different models? One an older one and one a newer one? Those seats were changed when the new standards came in and that might explain why you have a good insert in one and no insert in the other. (new ones are rated 4-35, older ones started at 5lbs.)

The Jolly Jumper support would be awful and it's atrocious that Graco Canada suggested that. I wonder what Gracobaby in the US would have to say about using any aftermarket product you wanted with their seats... or the engineers.
    Yes, you're right! The one seat was my daughters, the insert is in a box somewhere... The other seat is new. Now I'm really not sure what to do. My husband is ready to run out to the store today for a new seat. I *want* a new seat, but really don't want to spend the money on one. We both hate putting them in the old seat, but I know that is is a safe seat still, and I don't know how long they are going to stay in the infant seats for anyway.

Yes, you're right! The one seat was my daughters, the insert is in a box somewhere... The other seat is new. Now I'm really not sure what to do. My husband is ready to run out to the store today for a new seat. I *want* a new seat, but really don't want to spend the money on one. We both hate putting them in the old seat, but I know that is is a safe seat still, and I don't know how long they are going to stay in the infant seats for anyway.
    How old are your twins right now, what do they weigh, and how do they fit? The bottom padding on the new insert has to be taken out once the shoulders are above the harness slots with it removed, so if you're close to having to have the bottom insert out anyways, then it may not make a big difference.

If it's in your budget, then no harm in getting a new 2nd seat depending on if there's still an appreciable difference in fit/use between the 2 seats. I know the buckle is different so you could be seeing a slight difference in harness geometry as well. I'd first look at how much time you have left with the "bum" part of the insert though - or if it's the back of the insert that you're really liking, then go ahead and buy it if there's that much difference in fit.

The SR35 seats last a long time, most kids fit them beyond a year even if parents aren't carrying baby around still at that point - so you'll get a good amount of use out of it still.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Right now they are almost 3 weeks old, 6.5lb and almost 7lb. They 19.5" and 21" at birth, but not sure how tall they are now. I'm pretty sure they have a fair amount of room still, but i'll have to check on that!

Right now they are almost 3 weeks old, 6.5lb and almost 7lb. They 19.5" and 21" at birth, but not sure how tall they are now. I'm pretty sure they have a fair amount of room still, but i'll have to check on that!
    Yeah, at that size they may have another month before they reach the bottom slots without the bum padding - will depend on how they're proportioned in the body. For the baby in the seat without the extra padding, are the shoulders even with the bottom harness slots?

If they're below the bottom harness slots in the seat without the padding, then I would say it's better to let your husband go buy a new version - but check first to see how much more use you'll get out of the bum pad if that's the piece making the biggest difference fit wise.

Well, my husband was able to get the seat that was on sale at BRU on Friday, so we didn't have to pay quite as much as regular price. It was really hard to have to put one of the girls in the other seat, so we decided to keep it. I'm not sure, but I don't think it's the bum part, I think it's more that the back has more padding than the head and it sort of props the back up, and the head sits back a bit so the chin doesn't fall forward.

21. Thank You from: