WWYD: How many new Britax 90 seats? (0, 1, 2)

Athena

Okay, I guess 0 probably isn't a real option because I don't have that much will power. :eek: I'm trying to decide how many of my 3 Frontier 85s to replace with the 90s. I'm leaning towards just one, but if I have just one super easy to install seat in my car and still have one 85, will it really help that much? And which kid do I give it to? And if I'm getting just one and spending the money to trade up for new technology, should I go for the Pinnacle to get it all?

The reason I originally had to have it was the safe cell for our small back seat (and tall DH in front seat, leaving little HE space behind him), but now I see speculation here that the LBP is better for that, making me doubt whether I'm doing the right thing. Due to a vehicle incompatibility with most boosters (+ her height), I need to keep at least one 85 for booster use in my car for DD1 and I have no idea if I'll need the second years from now for DD2, after all, we'll hopefully have a different car by then and hopefully there will be better boosters out (or if I'll need the extra booster height for DD1 another car). If I could only predict the future.

It seems like there are pros and cons to each seat, something that makes this extra difficult. Shouldn't the new seat be better in all ways? :rolleyes:

ADS

nataliem257

Well that really depends on you. I have one of each, and I elected to put the 90 in my mothers car as it did it make sense to put the easy peasy to install car seat into the only persons car who can properly install an 85 (as much as I wanted the pretty new one). Plus, I got tired of wrestling with my mothers 80 to get it installed properly, and then it never being installed in her car because she kept taking it out (oh how I hate that seat). So I've been using both for a while now, and I can honestly say short of the install, there's not really enough difference between them to justify changing for the sake of changing. I will never need the extra harness height. The push front belly pad thing is nice, but not a deal breaker. The no rethread harness would be great if I used it for multiple kids but I don't. I like the new headwings but the old ones were good too. And to be honest the install was so easy It was somewhat anticlimactic when I got it because it took all of the fun out of practicing the install! All that being said, there's nothing wrong with replacing a seat for no good reason. I spend a lot of time trying to justify car seat purchases and I have recently come to the realization that I don't care if everyone thinks I'm crazy, sometimes " I want one" is all the reason I need! So if you want it, go for it ;-)

ETA: I guess what all that rambling meant was if you don't need to spend the money and you are honestly wanting to purchase them for some great added benefit, I don't think you're going to find it. But if you're wanting a new seat just cuz, go for it because its awesome!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Don't forget some of us are speculating that the Safecell might be even better than the old LBP :cool:
But ya, unless you NEED it for the super fast install, maybe you don't need one at all? We found the Safety 1st Go to be the best option, by far, to give the kiddo the most head and leg room in a small back seat, if you have a top tether (I'm guessing no, or none of this would matter much?)

Athena

Thank you for the responses!!!

Yeah, there is that just wanting a pretty new seat aspect, but I'm trying to be more practical than that. I may not succeed, but I try. :D

I will never need the extra harness height.

I do think I will use the extra harness height. I wouldn't mind having it for DD1, but I plan to use it for DD2. She is tall (upper 90%) and at almost 5yo, still falls flopping forward sound asleep in the car, often. With that said, is .5" even noticeable? It seems like such a small difference could even be lost if the seat had firmer padding that compressed less.

And to be honest the install was so easy It was somewhat anticlimactic when I got it because it took all of the fun out of practicing the install!

I'd be totally fine with this! :cool: I had to install 85s 3 times over the past week and I hated it. I can do it and did so more quickly by the third time, but afterwards, my back hurt and I always feel like I have to avoid taking them out. But there are other things I like about the 85s, especially it's great potential as a booster for us.

Don't forget some of us are speculating that the Safecell might be even better than the old LBP :cool:

That makes sense to me, but I wish I actually knew.

We found the Safety 1st Go to be the best option, by far, to give the kiddo the most head and leg room in a small back seat, if you have a top tether

I read about it recently while planning a trip and, from what I've read, both my DDs would be too tall for this and it would not be comfy enough for their everyday ride, but it makes sense that the kid would be sitting farther back in it. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. (currently out of system thank yous)

nannykates

I have been one of the lbp over safe cells people. This discussion was about untethered seats though, I think with a tether I would go with safecells. Just in case that helps you out at all :)

Athena

I have been one of the lbp over safe cells people. This discussion was about untethered seats though, I think with a tether I would go with safecells. Just in case that helps you out at all :)

Thanks! Any reason why? We do have tether anchors in all positions and I do use them always (except the one drive I forgot and I realized and fixed it before driving back home :eek:).

Athena

It's ok, I thanked YOU :)

LOL. Thanks.

My DD2 loved her Go, it wasn't the best for sleeping, but she found it incredibly comfy. She outgrew it about 2 years sooner than her sister would have :eek: https://picasaweb.google.com/104971860341203318894/SafeguardGo#5291248192673735714

Wow, it gets bigger than I had thought. I thought I read it was shorter, like 17", but I also read it depends a lot on the car. I decided against it for travel because I wouldn't know ahead of time if it would work. But it is a very cool idea.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Jools, I'm interested to hear why you think SafeCell might be more beneficial than LBP? I think I'm more comfortable with restraint that I can *see* - but I am totally open to hearing other interpretations.

I am with NannyKates - if I have a spot without a tether, I would take LBP over safecell. My reasoning is that the LBP acts essentially as a tether, physically restraining the top of the seat. But I if I had, and used, a TA, I would probably opt for SafeCell - since the tethering aspect is already covered and the SC has the potential to reduce HE *further.*

I was all set to tell you "zero," but since you are worried about HE, have a tether, and reinstall frequently, I would probably start with one. If you love it, then you could get a second one. But the fact that you reinstall a lot and have difficulty reinstalling would make me lean towards the F90. I am not a huge Britax shill, but that install is pure brilliance.

nannykates

Thanks! Any reason why? We do have tether anchors in all positions and I do use them always (except the one drive I forgot and I realized and fixed it before driving back home :eek:).

Lbp restrains the top of the seat. I know that, I can test that (kinda in my own crude yank the top test). We know that holding the top of the seat back helps he numbers because tethers reduce he numbers. Safecells can only pull the butt down so far, but once my tether base is covered Ill gladly take what advantage the magic nuggets that are safecells have to offer.

Athena

Thanks to both of you for explaining. That totally makes sense! I love the "magic nuggets" term too. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC