Question Weight limit Q--Rfing, when to flip?

brelza

At what point, do you flip a RF seat/discontinue use in regard to weight? My son is 30lb stripped down at 2yrs 8 mo. I weighed him yesterday with his wool pants, short sleeve tee, and his rain boots (his new fav shoe that HAS to be worn lately). He was about 32.5lb. He's in a TFP. Rear facing weight limit on it is 35lb. He's been growing in a gain 2lb in no time and be stuck at that weight what seems like forever and then grow again. I was hoping to make it to his 3rd bday Rfing, but I know I won't be thinking "let's weigh you before going out the door". He's the youngest of 5 so I'm just thankful we get out of the door and to places we need to be many times. I know it's getting warmer and we'll be swapping pants for shorts and l/s shirts for tees but my Q is ....when do you flip the seat? Is it when you weigh and find he's 34.XX. or do you wait until you hit that 35lb max limit? This is new territory for me as my kids have always outgrown via height rather than weight 1st.

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
It still depends on how often you want to weigh him. DS' weight has been fluctuating a lot lately so we have been weighing him weekly to see where he's at. He has Recaro Comos in DH's car and my mom's car and I'm just not ready to turn him yet in those vehicles.

HappyHoo

My kids would do the same thing of hanging out at one weight for months and then quickly jump 2 lbs.

When they get to where the 2 lb jump would put them at the limit, I try to make a point of weighing them periodically (once a week or every few weeks) but don't worry about it daily.

Then when I see that they are within .5 lb of the limit, I check frequently to make sure they are staying there and then flip if they are.

MorgieBear'sMama

He may not gain 2.5lbs in 4 months. Seems like ds1 has been 32.5lbs for a year now. I would weigh him weekly just so you know where his weight is. When he gets close start taking shoes off in the car. He may be pushing it, but should be able to make it to his 3rd birthday.

brelza

Thanks everyone.

Yeah I wasn't sure about if he'll gain that weight in the 4 mo but was wondering how people handled the weight limit situation. This is the 1st seat out of my 5 kids that will be outgrown via weight before height so I was :confused:. With the height it seemed like a much easier gauge...put them in the seat and you can SEE when it's outgrown.

I didn't know if weighing weekly or monthly was what most people did or if it ended up being more of the "ack!" at a well visit realizing that the seat now needs to be flipped for continued use or it was being used past the weight limit 2-3lbs ago.

I was just curious how other people handled it. I think we might be able to manage a monthly check until he hits 33lb and then switch to weekly. I am pretty sure he's due for another growth spurt soon so....

I'm just super happy we made it this far RFing. I'm really glad we replaced his britax BV70 with a true fit because I'm pretty sure he would be FF in that by now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC