Convince me I need or don't need a new seat

glockchick

For the middle of the middle row in my suburban.

Currently DS is in a FR85. I like it, he likes it, but I have a couple of gripes.

First, its so wide that it makes Abi sit off center in her seat so her head isn't centered on the headrest. She still has head support but it drives my OCD nuts. ;) Secondly, whenever I slide the seat behind the passenger forward to access the 3rd row (which has to be done whenever we all ride together), it catches on that little red clip that holds the FR85's cover on. One of these days it's going to break and I will not be happy. It could also cut into my leather seat on my truck, but I'd be more upset about the FR getting messed up. :spit:

I've thought about getting a Harmony Defender or a FR90 to go in that spot. DS is only 40 lbs so he doesn't really need the weight limit on the FR. However, he will need to stay harnessed in that spot until the whole family doesn't ride together. I don't have enough shoulder belts for everyone otherwise. My oldest is 15 1/2 and has his learner's permit so it's just a matter of time before he has his license and can drive himself and another kid or two, but I'd like to have the option of taking 1 vehicle places to save on gas.

I'm nervous about the HD360 because of the short crotch strap. I know you can get a longer one, but it doesn't seem that much longer. Also, I'm kind of a Britax snob. :eek: I've tried lots and lots of seats and I always go back to my Britax seats for the padding and fit an finish. The kids prefer their Britax seats over their less expensive seats as well for comfort.

But then again we'll be flying in July and I could use the HD360 for that. I was gonna get him a folding booster, but I'm not sure he's ready for that. There would be an adult to sit next to him and keep him in position.

What do ya think? New seat or use what I've got? If a new seat, which one and what's your logic?

ADS

AK Dad

First, its so wide that it makes Abi sit off center in her seat so her head isn't centered on the headrest.

I'll just mention that if the FR85 is too wide for your setup, the FR90 is going to be worse. I just got ours, and it's all kinds of awesome, don't get me wrong, but it's not going to save you any usable area in overall width. I know it measures slightly narrower, but I find that subjectively it feels like it takes up more space because the sides are noticeably deeper.

canadiangie

I'll just mention that if the FR85 is too wide for your setup, the FR90 is going to be worse. I just got ours, and it's all kinds of awesome, don't get me wrong, but it's not going to save you any usable area in overall width. I know it measures slightly narrower, but I find that subjectively it feels like it takes up more space because the sides are noticeably deeper.

I'll give you a thousand dollars if you go throw that bad boy in your 3rd row latch spot and buckle it a la booster mode. Tell me if its doable.

AK Dad

Have you considered a Radian? I know it's not everyone's fav for FFing, but it's really not bad. It's also cool that they test and certify it all the way up to 80lbs (which sounds like your kiddo will outgrow for height way before) without a TT attached, and I'm guessing since that seating position only has lap belt there's probably no TA. Radian is also super narrow, so you won't have the problem with the seat catching like the FR85. Also, if you think Britax build quality is good, I think you'll be more than impressed with the Radian - it's a solid piece of equipment - now only outclassed by the Foonf.

AK Dad

I'll give you a thousand dollars if you go throw that bad boy in your 3rd row latch spot and buckle it a la booster mode. Tell me if its doable.

Wait, $1k Canadian, or real money? :D

Do you mean me with the 2011 Pilot? I haven't tried it yet, and I'm assuming you're saying it won't fit? I'm not terribly concerned with booster performance of either, honestly - I just like it for the harness. I actually ended up putting the new FR90 in our truck because I ended up having to put my oldest next to the door just to make everything work out space-wise, and the FR90 appears to have slightly better SIP than the FR85. Right now I've got the FR85 in the 3rd row middle of the Pilot ...

canadiangie

Wait, $1k Canadian, or real money? :D

Do you mean me with the 2011 Pilot? I haven't tried it yet, and I'm assuming you're saying it won't fit? I'm not terribly concerned with booster performance of either, honestly - I just like it for the harness. I actually ended up putting the new FR90 in our truck because I ended up having to put my oldest next to the door just to make everything work out space-wise, and the FR90 appears to have slightly better SIP than the FR85. Right now I've got the FR85 in the 3rd row middle of the Pilot ...

Lol. Surely you jest. ;)

I have an 09 pilot. I am dying to know if the FN90 would even remotely work in the 3rd row latch spot in booster mode (ie: can you buckle the seatbelt). I'm guessing no, but I want to know for sure, and its not coming here for another 2-3 weeks.

AK Dad

Lol. Surely you jest. ;)

Of course - I would have to be looney to pass that up! Oh man, that was awful! :p

I have an 09 pilot. I am dying to know if the FN90 would even remotely work in the 3rd row latch spot in booster mode (ie: can you buckle the seatbelt). I'm guessing no, but I want to know for sure, and its not coming here for another 2-3 weeks.

Sure, I'll check it out for 'ya - truck is parked down at the airport right now, but it'll be back Thursday and I can throw it in ...

glockchick

Lol! Love it!

The 85 fits, it's just that dang clip that sticks out.

I've had a radian in that spot before. It's a pita to install and sometimes I can get it in well, sometimes not. I'm also not comfortable using it with his shoulders above the harness slots so I wouldn't get as much time in the RN even if I wanted to fight with it. ;)

Athena

The 85 fits, it's just that dang clip that sticks out.

If the 85 is that close to fitting, then the 90 will almost certainly fit. According to all the measurements, it's .5" narrower. Plus, does it even have the clips to get caught? Certainly worth a try.

mom of six

The Harmony Defender would meet your needs but whether you would be happy with it is going to be up to you. It is not a Britax but it is not a cheapy Dorel either. It has a lot of nice features. I think it would fit like a dream in your truck. The seat belt path is slightly higher and more forward than the radian's so you would likely get a super easy tight fit in your truck. In my minivan I have to use a full 3 twists to get a radian in and for the HD is only took 2 twists. I tried really hard not to do any twists but it was a no go.

The sides of the HD are super smooth. It is blow molded just like the FR85 but there aren't any clippy thingies to get caught. The cover is attached with little snaps right into the shell but they are on the bottom of the seat so they cannot get caught.

My son is also 5 but he has a shorter torso than Caleb as he still has about 3/4 inch before he reaches the top slot in the Radian. In the HD he has 2 clicks left on the headrest. (in my original review I said one, but I remeasured and it is indeed 2 clicks.:jive:) We have 2 spots in our Minivan that only have lap belts so I am in the same boat as you are. Until we get a bigger vehicle (in a year or two) my two boys will have to stay in harnessed seats. DS1 may be in a harness until he is in second grade.;)

It is not a light seat but it is so much narrower than the FR85 that it makes it easier to use.

I think the longer crotch strap will make a difference. Mine hasn't arrived yet. It is going snail mail so they said it should be here no later than Friday. Too bad we are going on a road trip on Thursday:(.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
How many clicks does Caleb have left on the 85?

Because you need it to last as long as humanly possible, I think you need to stick with the 85 or 90. If the 90 will work better, width-wise, and get Abi's head more centered on her headrest, then I think you could go with that. Otherwise, I would stick with the 85. If you get the Harmony seat, you'll just be back to buying another FR in a year when he outgrows that, know what I mean?

And I know we've been over this 23453574574 times, but you can't get a HDTA installed for that seating position, right? I know it's a no-go for the 3rd row. I'm pretty sure it's a no-go in your second row, but for some reason I am second-guessing myself, although I would think if it was possible you would have done it already. I only ask because my other suggestion would be to get a good, heavy-duty HBB with an 86-Y but yeah... I'm pretty sure that's been asked and answered somewhere near 20 million times.

glockchick

I think he has 3.... He's at the setting that puts the screw just above the seat shell. I'm at work and won't be home until Friday. I can check then.

Yeah, no retrofit available other than a buckle to click into the 3rd row center female end, but that blocks access to the driver's side seat and I have a kid that has to sit there. I'm ok with him being untethered since there's no seat in front of him, and I have no other choice. ;)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Dude. Forget a new carseat. You need a new car. (How's that for enabling?)

*I'D* just unsew the little clip on the cover with a seam ripper and sew in back on some other time.

glockchick

I know, but I don't make enough for a new car. :(

It's not just on the cover that catches, its the part on the seat that the clip attaches too. I'll get a pic when I get home on Friday.

glockchick

Lmao! Not yet! I don't really wanna do duct tape because it leaves behind that sticky residue when you take it off. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC