Locking clips for '05 Odyssey and Cosco conv. seats?

waterbaby

Necessary?

A friend says the kids she sits during the week are in Cosco seats and she drives the mom's '05 Odyssey. Her son's seat tipped over turning a curve :confused: and she says the two other seats (for the two she sits) are loose and obvious bad installs.
She's going to get more specific info... but I thought I'd throw this out there and see what I could get back on it.

Does she need locking clips?

She's hoping to get a couple of seats to use in HER car, so she can leave her son installed and get the other two seats installed correctly, at the least. And she's trying to convince the mother to go with her to a seat check.

ADS

MySillyKids

I haven't had to use a locking clip with my cosco seats in the van.

I have a Cosco high back booster in there now, rock solid.
I just had a safety first Apex (whatever lol) in there too, no issue.

Yea i have an '05 ody also.

waterbaby

So, if the seatbelts aren't locking properly on their own, should they be checked? She says she pulls them out all the way and lets them lock every few inches as she's installing the seat, but they somehow wiggle loose again?

lovinwaves

The 2005 Honda Odyssey has "Switchable Retractor" seatbelts in every seating positions except the driver's seat. This means that a locking clip is not necessary to properly install a child restraint.

To engage the locking mechanism have her pull the seatbelt SLOWLY all the way until it stops. Then let the seatbelt feed back in. She will hear or feel a very faint "ratcheting" noise. Have her try to pull the seatbelt after she thinks it is engaged. If the seatbelt will not give her any slack then she probably has it properly locked.

Now onto the carseat installations. Have her actually put her knee or weight into the seat when tightening the seatbelt. The child restraint needs to move less than a inch side to side, front to back.

I would still have her try contacting a local CPST for a carseat check ;)

crunchierthanthou

Is it in the third row outboard?

I did a check in a 2005 Odyssey where the seatbelts weren't locked when I got in the van. The mom swore the whole time that she had switched them to locking mode when installing the seats. She had Cosco Sceneras.

Maybe a properly used locking clip isn't such a bad idea.

waterbaby

Thank you!
I told her to try what was suggested, and if she couldn't get it to work, to use LATCH until the belts can be looked at by the dealership.

lovinwaves

Thank you!
I told her to try what was suggested, and if she couldn't get it to work, to use LATCH until the belts can be looked at by the dealership.

LATCH in Honda vehicles is only allowed until the child is 40lbs. So as long as the children weigh less than 40lbs she can use the LATCH system. Just curious why she wasn't before :confused:

waterbaby

LATCH in Honda vehicles is only allowed until the child is 40lbs. So as long as the children weigh less than 40lbs she can use the LATCH system. Just curious why she wasn't before :confused:

That's what we were wondering... she's not very open to info on carseats, so the sitter (friend) is taking it on herself.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC