FR85 vs FR90 comparison with my 4.5 yo *pic heavy*

tracee877

Decided to compare these seats today and share my findings. DS2 is 4y8m and is 38-39 lbs and 41". Unsure on torso height but he is very leggy.

Seats are installed in a 2006 Honda Odyssey. FR85 on the left, FR90 on the right.

007_zps0dda16e8.jpg
009_zps7d6cf3bb.jpg

008_zps2d279b02.jpg
010_zps9cd51c30.jpg

In the house. FR90 on the left, FR85 on the right. (Please ignore the banana bribe lol.)

026_zpse8a58572.jpg
028_zps990603c3.jpg

Growing room:
027_zps1c0e0864.jpg
029_zps828de565.jpg

Adjusted all the way up:
021_zps35600895.jpg

024_zpsc971fdae.jpg
025_zpsb226917f.jpg

Now for some measurements. FR90 on the left, FR85 on the right.

FR85 is a bit deeper than the FR90:
013-1_zps022c50cb.jpg
014_zps0e861b32.jpg

FR85 is only about .5" wider at the widest point:
016_zpsfe3c5fcd.jpg
015_zps6fd5d021.jpg

Continued in next post...

Last edited:
ADS

tracee877

Difference in crotch strap depths:
017_zpsbf6cd301.jpg
018_zps123befc4.jpg

FR90 harness is only about ¼” higher than FR85:
019_zpsb4c4d7cb.jpg
020_zpsba5f494a.jpg

Difference in space under arm rests:
023_zps476242ed.jpg
022_zpsddc260f1.jpg

Difference in adjusters. No wonder you can hardly reach the one on the FR90:
030_zps3f025015.jpg
031_zps0336de37.jpg

All in all I prefer the FR85. The only thing I hate about it is the recline block which is what I love about the FR90, that it doesn't have one. I don't like the huge head wings on the FR90, it reminds me of the Prosport. I don't like how they don't completely surround the head. I wish the FR90 had 3 crotch depths. DS was on the outer one and it was too far out really. I like the idea of the FR90 belly pad but it's bulky and DS doesn't like it. I really love the click tight though, I wish every seat had that!

EmilyAnn86

I don't like the huge head wings on the FR90, it reminds me of the Prosport. I don't like how they don't completely surround the head.

Can you explain what you mean by this? The part where you say the head wings are huge but do not completely surround the head. Thanks!

StillThankful

Thank you a million for your great pictorial! I am sure that your post will be very valuable for all the mamas and papas contemplating purchasing the 90! Great job! :thumbsup: :D

Athena

So jealous of that growth room!

I don't like the huge head wings on the FR90, it reminds me of the Prosport. I don't like how they don't completely surround the head.

I'm curious about this too. The 90 headwings seem like they'd surround the head better than the 85 because they're bigger.

tracee877

Can you explain what you mean by this? The part where you say the head wings are huge but do not completely surround the head. Thanks!

So jealous of that growth room!

I'm curious about this too. The 90 headwings seem like they'd surround the head better than the 85 because they're bigger.

I think I just worded this wrong. What I mean is that the space between the harness slots and the beginning of the head wings is larger than on the FR85, unless the slots are even with the shoulders. Yes the wings are larger and more substantial than the FR85, which I DO like, but it just looks funny to me.:eek: One of the reasons I hated the Prosport.

Athena

I think I just worded this wrong. What I mean is that the space between the harness slots and the beginning of the head wings is larger than on the FR85, unless the slots are even with the shoulders. Yes the wings are larger and more substantial than the FR85, which I DO like, but it just looks funny to me.:eek: One of the reasons I hated the Prosport.

That makes sense. I like how they look substantial, but I don't like how much taller the wings are because it reduces driver visibility. Of course, it sounds like if they started lower, more in line with the harness, they might not be so tall, if that makes sense.

It looks like he has better leg support in the Fr85. Does he complain about it in the FR90? I would be interested to see a 9-10 yo kid using it to see if the leg support is still ok.

tracee877

It looks like he has better leg support in the Fr85. Does he complain about it in the FR90? I would be interested to see a 9-10 yo kid using it to see if the leg support is still ok.

I think it's because the FR85 is kind if sloped where the FR90 is more straight up and down on that front edge. Plus the FR90 sits much more upright which he prefers. He hasn't complained about it.

bella_1818

I'm surprised to see that you have the vehicle headrest on? I have a 2013 Odyssey with "active head restrain" and because they slope in, I've always taken them off to get a decent install with the Frontier.

Does the 2006 have more upright headrests or do I need to try harder/get to a seatcheck and put mine back on?

MommyShannon

I'm surprised to see that you have the vehicle headrest on? I have a 2013 Odyssey with "active head restrain" and because they slope in, I've always taken them off to get a decent install with the Frontier.

Does the 2006 have more upright headrests or do I need to try harder/get to a seatcheck and put mine back on?

I also have a 2006 and normally take them off. Its doable (obviously) with them on, but just because I'm pushing the seat in hard and I've changed the seat recline some. I just put one in booster mode and even with the block right, I had to remove the headrest and change the recline for it to sit right.

tracee877

I've never had to remove my headrests for any installs. I do have to move them up to adjust and route the tether but I always slide it back down.:shrug-shoulders:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC